Nbme 7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellyfish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, Is there anyone whose taken the test taken the NBME 7? I looked around and since the test is so new there isn't much information on it. I just took it today, and wanted to get some feedback on how it compared to the real thing, and predicted your scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Just took it today and Yikes, I didn't do as well as I hoped.

I got 216

For reference, I got 224 on Uworld practice test #2 a few weeks ago and was hoping to be in the 230's by now.

I also would like to hear what others think of NBME 7. Hopefully I perform better on exam day.

It doesn't look like many people have anything to say. I'll give some feedback after I take my test in a couple of weeks.

Just a single data point, but it overestimated me by 5. Took it 2 days before the real deal. Although all the calculators estimated me right around what the NBME said, so maybe I was just a little off on test day.

Members don't see this ad :)
i did it - it is hard - just like UWorld IMO - and I can see now what everyone means by the "real deal" - I have NOT taken Step 1 yet but I truly believe that NBME 7 will in every way be as difficult as the real thing.

To anyone else who took NBME 7 - did you bomb behavioral science section like I did? Completely blew me to shreds I'm sorry to say =(.

like for example, one of the questions was something like: You're a doctor and this girl comes in asking for a new fit for her diaphragm. She had an abortion a month ago and on the weekends she and her boyfriend get drunk and have unprotected sex. What do you do?

Last edited:
dude, i got the 224 on Uworld 2 ass last week friday and a 500 (223) on this NBME 7 yesterday; so pissed that it's not in the 230s by now. i thought 7 had plenty of graph/image interpretations than Uworld and honestly, i think NBMEs are waaaaaaay harder than Uworld. my test is on the 22nd. :mad:

Just took it today and Yikes, I didn't do as well as I hoped.

I got 216

For reference, I got 224 on Uworld practice test #2 a few weeks ago and was hoping to be in the 230's by now.

I also would like to hear what others think of NBME 7. Hopefully I perform better on exam day.

Just went back and looked. The bar is huge so I'm guessing there aren't that many questions. So getting just a couple wrong is going to make it look like you did terrible. If you're consistently bombing the section, then there may be a worry. Otherwise don't read too much into it.

I think NBME 7 is slightly harder than the UWSA from what I've been hearing from everyone on this post.

I did UWSA #1 2nd week into my studying and got a 253. Then I took NBME 1 week later and got a 247. I took NBME 6 today (with the extended feedback) and got a 253 (improvement from 7 but not from UWSA 1). The extended feed back showed me what I missed and the percentage of questions I got correct etc etc.

On UWSA #1 for me to have gotten the 253, I had ~74% correct. On NBME 6, I had missed only 17/200. That's about 92%. The NBME is definitely graded much more harshly so fret not! You didn't regress, it's just harder (I hope). I also did the Free 150 from the USMLE website and got a 243 the first day of studying. So if you just look at NBME progression (I improved??). I'm taking UWSA #2 in on Monday and taking the real thing on Friday (AHH).

I think NBME 7 is slightly harder than the UWSA from what I've been hearing from everyone on this post.

I did UWSA #1 2nd week into my studying and got a 253. Then I took NBME 1 week later and got a 247. I took NBME 6 today (with the extended feedback) and got a 253 (improvement from 7 but not from UWSA 1). The extended feed back showed me what I missed and the percentage of questions I got correct etc etc.

On UWSA #1 for me to have gotten the 253, I had ~74% correct. On NBME 6, I had missed only 17/200. That's about 92%. The NBME is definitely graded much more harshly so fret not! You didn't regress, it's just harder (I hope). I also did the Free 150 from the USMLE website and got a 243 the first day of studying. So if you just look at NBME progression (I improved??). I'm taking UWSA #2 in on Monday and taking the real thing on Friday (AHH).

Damn dude, you're ready to kill this thing. Good luck!

Dude, you're golden! You'll own this test duuuuurty.

dude, i got the 224 on Uworld 2 ass last week friday and a 500 (223) on this NBME 7 yesterday; so pissed that it's not in the 230s by now. i thought 7 had plenty of graph/image interpretations than Uworld and honestly, i think NBMEs are waaaaaaay harder than Uworld. my test is on the 22nd. :mad:

ha that's okay i got 232 on UWorld 2 and 231 on NBME 7 - so we both lost one point - GL on real deal! :luck:

The reason I actually asked is because I thought it was easier than USMLE world. I scored a 247 on UWSA 2, but scored a 255 on NBME 7 like 4 days later. So, I was hoping that didn't drastically overestimate my score. I guess I'll just have to see. I don't want to take anymore NBMEs because I can't see the answers, and this is cram time for me. It's funny how different everyone sees these tests.

that "AHH" is uncalled for...lol. you're more than ready. if you have an amazingly *good* day, you might even break 260. no stress, no stems, no sticks. just kill it.

Does anyone have any input as to whether 7 over or underestimates?? I took it today and got 19 points higher than Form 6, which I took a week ago. I have about a week now until my test, and I'm hoping it didn't drastically overestimate my actual score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took:
NBME 4 got 247
nbme 6 got 249
nbme 7 got 251
UW1 got a 257
UW2 got a 259

My actual score was 258, The NBMEs underestimate my actual score. The UW were more accurate for me.

I took:
NBME 4 got 247
nbme 6 got 249
nbme 7 got 251
UW1 got a 257
UW2 got a 259

My actual score was 258, The NBMEs underestimate my actual score. The UW were more accurate for me.

Wow you're insane haha. Congrats. I think the NBME grades slightly harder or you just really had an amazing test day =)

That's awesome. I'm hoping that the NMBE's underestimate my score as well. I just did about 20 points higher today on #7, so I was hoping it wasn't inaccurate or grade way too easily..

That's awesome. I'm hoping that the NMBE's underestimate my score as well. I just did about 20 points higher today on #7, so I was hoping it wasn't inaccurate or graded way too easily..

Hi, I recently took nbme 7.
My test taking history:
NBME 3: 255 ( I guessed a ridiculous amount right (after the exam, I went through an online copy of the exam and looked at qs I were unsure of and compared to what I chose), so this is definitely inflated, the "real" score is probably around the 240 range)
Uworld average: 73% (finished this b4 uwsa 1, and still had around 2/3 of FA and the corresponding subjects to go through. They were in random, but tutor mode). I then redid roughly 900 qs from the bank.
UWSA 1: 258 (The first two blocks I was in the 70s, and the last two i hit low and high 80)
UWSA 2: 261 (More consistent, as in less variation between the block scores. Mid twenty wrong, always feel like **** after uworld and nbmes)
Extended NBME 6: 258 (I made 4 stupid stupid mistakes out of the 13 I missed, like ridiculously stupid. Misreading the Q, or not considering some very obvious angle. On the other hand I got a fair number of Qs right with educated guesses and reasoning.)
Extended NBME 7: 262 (I made 4 stupid mistakes out of the 12 I missed. I thought the behavioral were seriously tough. I had to sit there and think about them a long time. Rereading the Q multiple time. Even then I wasn't sure about my answer, but in the end I didn't miss any behavioral Q. To answer the earlier post about what you should do with the woman and her husband who get drunk, have sex, and only use a diaphram + contraceptive jelly, and had to get an abortion due to unplanned pregnancy; I chose to talk to them about non-barrier contraceptives).
If you take the scores of the exams as being true, it seems consistent, so nbme 7 is probably realiable. I hope so.
I still haven't studied embryo and heme, and my exam is tomorrow. After every single one of those exams I felt like ****, but then the scores come out decent. Does any1 else feel like they don't know anything? I honestly feel like there is so much I don't know, and there are so many questions on the exams where I just have to do an "educated guess". I have pretty downright bad study habits, so I don't think I know as much as a lot of people, but my test taking "skills", integration, and intuition is pretty good.

UW test 1 5 weeks out: 219
UW test 2 4 weeks out: 224
NBME 7: 2.5 weeks out: 229

5 points up every time...wish I could go up more. 2 weeks to go.

hi guys i got a 590 (242) on NBME 7, this was my first NBME besides the one that school gave (i got a 195 or something, that was 1.5 months ago).

it's funny because i ended UWorld at 61% overall (but i did start doing random Qs before i even finished pathology class at my school). towards the end i was getting on average maybe 67%, but i feel like that's nowhere near what people with 240 caliber was getting.

i just feel like i had a fluke score? I had a downtime at the airport so i just decided to take it. i felt like the exam was too easy in general.

Hi, I recently took nbme 7.
My test taking history:
NBME 3: 255 ( I guessed a ridiculous amount right (after the exam, I went through an online copy of the exam and looked at qs I were unsure of and compared to what I chose), so this is definitely inflated, the "real" score is probably around the 240 range)
Uworld average: 73% (finished this b4 uwsa 1, and still had around 2/3 of FA and the corresponding subjects to go through. They were in random, but tutor mode). I then redid roughly 900 qs from the bank.
UWSA 1: 258 (The first two blocks I was in the 70s, and the last two i hit low and high 80)
UWSA 2: 261 (More consistent, as in less variation between the block scores. Mid twenty wrong, always feel like **** after uworld and nbmes)
Extended NBME 6: 258 (I made 4 stupid stupid mistakes out of the 13 I missed, like ridiculously stupid. Misreading the Q, or not considering some very obvious angle. On the other hand I got a fair number of Qs right with educated guesses and reasoning.)
Extended NBME 7: 262 (I made 4 stupid mistakes out of the 12 I missed. I thought the behavioral were seriously tough. I had to sit there and think about them a long time. Rereading the Q multiple time. Even then I wasn't sure about my answer, but in the end I didn't miss any behavioral Q. To answer the earlier post about what you should do with the woman and her husband who get drunk, have sex, and only use a diaphram + contraceptive jelly, and had to get an abortion due to unplanned pregnancy; I chose to talk to them about non-barrier contraceptives).
If you take the scores of the exams as being true, it seems consistent, so nbme 7 is probably realiable. I hope so.
I still haven't studied embryo and heme, and my exam is tomorrow. After every single one of those exams I felt like ****, but then the scores come out decent. Does any1 else feel like they don't know anything? I honestly feel like there is so much I don't know, and there are so many questions on the exams where I just have to do an "educated guess". I have pretty downright bad study habits, so I don't think I know as much as a lot of people, but my test taking "skills", integration, and intuition is pretty good.

Geebers, you've got to get almost 95% to score 260? Is it assumed to be a similar score correlation for the real deal?

Took 7 today, pulled a 620/249. Was hoping to be a little higher 2 days out.

hi guys i got a 590 (242) on NBME 7, this was my first NBME besides the one that school gave (i got a 195 or something, that was 1.5 months ago).

it's funny because i ended UWorld at 61% overall (but i did start doing random Qs before i even finished pathology class at my school). towards the end i was getting on average maybe 67%, but i feel like that's nowhere near what people with 240 caliber was getting.

i just feel like i had a fluke score? I had a downtime at the airport so i just decided to take it. i felt like the exam was too easy in general.

I doubt its a fluke score.You worked 61% through with your UW after all, so that's gotta count for something.

What I would say however is to be wary of your CBSE score.My CBSE kinda backfired and reverse happened to me: ended up gettin a stellar CBSE score BUT bombed on first self-exam NBME 6 ,:oops:

You seem to be heading in the right direction buddy, don't underestimate your strengths .

Good luck man:thumbup:

what was the answer to the one about the psych patient that didn't want antibiotics for her burns. Was it to go ahead and give it to her because she's in the psych facility? I think the other options was because she admitted a psych disorder or because paranoia means incompetence.

I chose "F" (paranoia proves incompetence) and got it incorrect. After giving it some thought, I think the correct answer is to assume competence and not proceed with treatment, but determine if her parents on on their way.

what was the answer to the one about the psych patient that didn't want antibiotics for her burns. Was it to go ahead and give it to her because she's in the psych facility? I think the other options was because she admitted a psych disorder or because paranoia means incompetence.

I chose "F" (paranoia proves incompetence) and got it incorrect. After giving it some thought, I think the correct answer is to assume competence and not proceed with treatment, but determine if her parents on on their way.

Ok, I had chosen don't give it to her until a psych eval and that was also incorrect. It didn't seem like waiting for a judge or her parents would be an answer they were looking for. So still not sure, pretty much.

Got one more question, why did the post-gastric bypass patient have bloating/diarrhea, was it surgical destruction of the vagus innervation of stomach or the hyperosmolar chyme into intestines?

Hey everyone - I took NBME 7 today and wound up with 500 (223). Damn it. I thought Doing USMLE Rx wouldve landed me higher. I would absolutely love a 240. Love love love love.

I have 2.5 weeks left. It's drill time.

Hey everyone - I took NBME 7 today and wound up with 500 (223). Damn it. I thought Doing USMLE Rx wouldve landed me higher. I would absolutely love a 240. Love love love love.

I have 2.5 weeks left. It's drill time.

There's always great room for a massive jump.

Just focus on your weaknesses from all those sagic resources-FA, RR,UW and see where that takes ya.It worked leaps and bounds for me.

Hang in there nutty boy, you will come through this :thumbup:

i took nbme 3 two months ago and got a 231 (this was before i had studied repro and endocrine)

i took nbme 5 one week ago and got a 251.

for the ensuing week, i read most of first aid and got a 262 on nbme 7 a few days ago. the behavioral sciences questions were tough. the stems were really long as well.

this score seems to be close to what my kaplan score estimator estimates. i am going to take the real thing in four weeks. i saw a huge improvement after reading through first aid. my plan is read first aid one time/week until i take the exam. hopefully i can solidify a score in the 260s.

in prep for boards i have done all of usmlerx, all of usmle world, most of kaplan and plan on doing world one more time. going through all these practice questions has really helped me. in addition to the q banks i've read linda casatnzo's big physiology book (not the brs one) and used the goljan lectures and his rapid review pathology as a resource (i have not read it straight through. i think there is too much information for step one there). i've been through first aid multiple times. i believe reading first aid over and over again has been the highest yield thing i have done in addition to all the practice questions.

i don't know why i told you all of this. hopefully somebody will benefit from it. best of luck to all of you!

Ok, I had chosen don't give it to her until a psych eval and that was also incorrect. It didn't seem like waiting for a judge or her parents would be an answer they were looking for. So still not sure, pretty much.

Got one more question, why did the post-gastric bypass patient have bloating/diarrhea, was it surgical destruction of the vagus innervation of stomach or the hyperosmolar chyme into intestines?

I took it a few weeks ago so I don't remember all the choices but I'm pretty sure I put make sure her parents are on the way (at least I think that was the choice) essentially it is a non-life-threatening situation and crazy is not the same as incompetent so whatever choice respects pt autonomy the most is what you should go with.
I don't remember what I put for that GI Q.
I took it in regular mode so didn't see what I got wrong but the report looked like i did pretty well on Behav. The rest.....well that's why it's called a practice exam

Just a guess, but aren't gastric bypass pts at risk for "dumping syndrome" wherein the hyperosmolar contents are spilled too quickly --> diarrhea?

so what is the verdict?

is this test harder / on par / or easier than the other nbmes?

nbme 7 is hard...

i just finished taking it (11 days out from exam) and scored a 260 (670)...have no idea how I got that score considering how bad the exam seemed

it definitely is a good indicator (maybe underestimates a bit) of your performance...s

waiting for the parents is correct. and hyperosmolar chyme = dumping

i thought it was pretty hard.

I take my final practice test of NBME 7 coming week.I am almost done with system review and with 3-2 ish weeks out, it's high time to check how far I have come again.

Any tips for NBME 7? I don't wanna murder my confidence.

you should do something like me - i took it at the airport during my layover. it was 2 weeks before the exam. this way, i had a good excuse if i didnt do well :p

just think simple, and sometimes just step back to use logic. i was really surprised when my gf, who's an art major, looked a picture of nutmeg liver and said, "man i hate patterned blood". she has no medical knowledge at all, but she figured it out. us med students just are so into memorizing facts that we forget to think sometimes.

I just took nmbe 7 and I got 249! I can't believe it... Like a previous poster I think its a fluke. I felt like I was guessing the ENTIRE exam. It seems like the consensus is that it's a fairly accurate predictor but I'm not at all convinced. I'm wondering if I should squeeze in another practice test. I really do not want to because that's a half a day I could be studying.
I took a school administered exam at the beginning of April and got 185. My goal is something is anything above 230. I've been studying for 5 weeks and I have 3 more weeks ahead. There is so much I don't know (HY stuff like micro and pharm). I'll definitely bomb a test heavy in either/both of those subjects.
This was my first practice test besides the free 150 I took 2 weeks ago. I think I got a 244 or something on that but I knew at the time that it waaaaay overpredicted my score. I'm confused/shocked because I think I should trust the nmbe to tell where I stand.
:confused:

hearing all these really good scores is making me so jealous! I thought that scores in this range of 240+ were rare. But I guess that's not true anymore.

hearing all these really good scores is making me so jealous! I thought that scores in this range of 240+ were rare. But I guess that's not true anymore.

Hahahaha maybe only those post their scores who actually get high scores. Or maybe most users of SDN are just straight intelligent :thumbup:

No tonic inhibition from dopamine, I think.

That's right. Prolactin is the only pituitary hormone whose main regulation is via tonic inhibition. Its release can also be stimulated by several hormones (TRH being the main one) but the major regulation is via the inhibitory effects of dopamine.
This explains the side effects of typical antipsychotic medications as they antagonize dopamine and relieve the inhibitory signal causing increased prolactin as a side effect.