NBME sample question vs score on step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grayfish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious about the percentage one gets correctly on the sample questions from USMLE/NBME vs the actual score one gets on USMLE. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Me too, so I am responding simply to push this thread to the top and hope that someone will answer it! :p

You're lucky i was passing. Ok, if u take the sample qus they send you and solve them in a test atmosphere with same time limitations, etc then in my opinion, the results you get will pretty much reflect what your performance on the USMLE will be as far as KNOWLEDGE, STRATEGY, ETC is concerned. BUT....you have to consider the fatigue factor on the real 8 hr exam. I didn't know WHAT i was marking in the last block. I had a splitting headache (DESPITE a prophylactic NSAID) and my eyes kept tearing up, irritating the hell out of me. I would suggest taking several long 7-8 hr tests to condition yourself for the exam.

As a rough guide, 70-75% correct, equates to a 2 digit score of 90-95. Take this as an approx.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:••• I would suggest taking several long 7-8 hr tests to condition yourself for the exam.
••••Has anyone taken the 7-hour simulated exams at kaplan. i'm doing q-bank, but is it important that i also take a day to do the simulated exam offered by kaplan?

I know a lot of people who signed up for 2 simulated exams, but only ended up doing one, thinking it would be more worthwhile to spend the other day doing practice questions at home. Most thought the simulated exam was good preparation, although I personally never took it and did fine on Step 1.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by docronmd1:
•As a rough guide, 70-75% correct, equates to a 2 digit score of 90-95. Take this as an approx.•••••That can't be true! I hope it's true. :clap: I just took the practice test yesterday and scored 72% and I still haven't reviewed any anatomy, pharmacology, or behavior sci. You mean to say that a 70=75% translates into a 90-95 percentile score on the real thing? No way! Is this based on personal experience?

No, it's not 90-95 percentile, it's 90-95 on that stupid two-digit score - the one USMLE calculates mysteriously so that a passing score is 75. It's a safe bet that 90-95 is above the mean but it's hard to say just what it is as a three-digit score.