NBME vs. UW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skk3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone find NBMEs to be more difficult than UW? I have been scoring in the mid to high 80's in UW random timed but I just took NBME6 and got a 224. I was a bit disappointed as my score 3 weeks ago was 226...

Anyone else feel this way? Any tips as to which question style is more representative of the real thing?

Test is in 2 weeks and I'm kind of freaking out

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone find NBMEs to be more difficult than UW? I have been scoring in the mid to high 80's in UW random timed but I just took NBME6 and got a 224. I was a bit disappointed as my score 3 weeks ago was 226...

Anyone else feel this way? Any tips as to which question style is more representative of the real thing?

Thanks!!
Honestly, given your other posts I see no reason to call you a troll, but even though I'm not outright calling you a troll I still must say that this is just very hard to believe o_0

If the mid to high 80s in UW = 224, then I'm sure I failed Step 1 miserably (and, that's precisely how it felt when I left). However, I was performing well above the mean per UW's own statistics, and scoring in the high 80s almost puts you in a league of your own for random, timed blocks.

Last edited:

Thanks!!

In your case, you just have to get used to the NBME format. I had a large NBME score jump in a week.. largely attributable to getting used to the NBME format and not overthinking things. In reality, my test was closer in difficulty to UW than NBME though. Take 11 and 12 and see how you do.

Last edited:
In your case, you just have to get used to the NBME format. I had a 20 point score jump in a week.. largely attributable to getting used to the NBME format and not overthinking things.

True. Don't overthink the NBMEs. Take another one, see if you can do better.

Haha, I kind of understand why raynor would be tempted to call you a troll, though. That kind of a drop is just...:eek: I mean, unless you're not doing random, timed, in which case 80% might be easier to explain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously... UW's average is like 56%, which includes people doing focused, untimed study sessions in tutor mode. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but hearing something like someone getting high 80s in UW and then getting a 224 on an NBME is just crushing to me. lol

Seriously... UW's average is like 56%, which includes people doing focused, untimed study sessions in tutor mode. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but hearing something like someone getting high 80s in UW and then getting a 224 on an NBME is just crushing to me. lol
agreed.....i was getting pretty dang happy this past week when my scores in UW have been in the high 70s to 80.

Near the end of Uworld my averages were right around 75%, (much lower in the beginning). Anyway, at that point I took NBME 7 and got a 261. If you can consistently score 85% on Uworld in random mode, that is freakin' amazing, haha

But ya, when you take the NBME's, if there is an obvious answer, that is usually the answer. Don't let Uworld make you think that every "right" answer is wrong because they list 5 things that all CAN cause whatever they're asking about. NBME usually lists 2 and some obviously wrong ones...

Yeah, I have to agree that nbme is much less tricky than UW. I've gotten to the point where every question I miss on a nbme is because I over-thought it and not because I didn't know the answer. =/ Some people have said that the real test is more tricky though. We'll see in 1.5 weeks...

Thank you all for you help.

I find that the one liners are the toughest! It's so discouraging that if I don't know one thing, I'm out of luck to get the answer right. For most of UW, there is at least some sort of context.

And yes, I definitely feel I tend to over-think things and change my answer to the incorrect one.

Oh, and I really am not a troll haha. I actually have been reading SDN since my MCAT days. As for my UW performance, I started out in the 50's and then stopped doing it. I then completed RX, Kaplan, and 1/2 of Lippincott pathology and then started UW again and averaged in the 80's. (And yet I still score 220's in NBME....)

This thread has been invaluable to me and I will post my experience (score and all) after I take my test