NC State goes Harry Potter!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lab Vet

I love regs!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NCSU CVM already posted this announcement in its individual thread, but I thought I would re-post for the general SDN membership because it's such a cool idea. The c/o 2020 will be the first NCSU CVM class to participate in the college's newly-conceived 'house system.' Straight outta Hogwarts, folks- complete with crests, latin mottos, house colors, and of course- an annual competition for the house cup! Check it out! I'm an upperclassman, and sure hope that I get assigned to one of these retroactively. All of the houses are veterinary themed. Check out the announcement below for an explanation. Personally, I see myself in house Webb, or perhaps Shalihotra. Only the sorting hat knows for sure ;)

https://cvm.ncsu.edu/house-system/

I truly do love my vet school!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
My high school tried this, unfortunately it fizzled out due to lack of enthusiasm on the students' part. :/ Would be so much fun though!!! Jealous of everyone who gets to take part in it

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Me too, and I'm already a student here! I'm not sure if they'll let us old folks participate. Here's hoping. Fingers crossed ;) I definitely think that the student body of NCSU CVM will support this- folks are going to eat it up!

As a Potterhead I am so excited to participate in this system! I wonder what house I will be sorted into!:)
4106763_orig.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
As a Potterhead I am so excited to participate in this system! I wonder what house I will be sorted into!:)
4106763_orig.jpeg

So...where did you end up?? Personally, I see myself in Webb. Do y'all have a faculty 'House Master?' If so, who is it?

13932695_10154357792989054_6865278908553886495_n.jpg

Happy faces after the sorting into the Houses of Shalihotra (Gold), Bourgelat (Red), Salmon (Blue) and Webb (Green).

I'm in Webb! One of our leaders is Dr. Bailey

I'm in Webb! One of our leaders is Dr. Bailey
Bailey the anesthesiologist (female) or Bailey the Theriogenologist (male)? I don't know Therio Bailey very well (I have his class this semester), but anesthesiologist Bailey is awesome. Lovely person, great instructor. Glad you're having fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
Inducted post-hoc: SHALIHOTRA!!
Shali crest.png

Okay. They better accept me now. I'm meant to be here.

So is there a fun sorting ceremony?

Our class is doing this at Virginia Maryland but it’s just for the purposes of our first surgery experiences during second year. We’re in the Hogwarts houses, the second year classroom has banners and everything. We also get weekly challenges to increase our points total for the house cup

Our class is doing this at Virginia Maryland but it’s just for the purposes of our first surgery experiences during second year. We’re in the Hogwarts houses, the second year classroom has banners and everything. We also get weekly challenges to increase our points total for the house cup
@finnickthedog has this at Michigan State, we’re in the process of developing it at Oklahoma State! It sounds cool!

Houses are much fun indeed. I bet NCstate feels super cool now for being first on this.
The house system at NCSU has really picked up speed since its initial roll-out with the c/o 2020. I came in on the tail end of the endeavor, and was never 'officially inducted' (as the first years are). The house system at NCSU is actually carefully crafted wellness initiative. The architects published a paper about its success in our curriculum in the International Journal of Higher Education (A Comprehensive Wellness Program for Veterinary Medical Education: Design and Implementation at North Carolina State University (PDF Download Available). We are, however, not the first to initiate it. These systems had been used in human medical education (particularly at Vanderbilt) for years before we picked it up. NCSU does an excellent job of covering different aspects of wellness (physical, social, etc.) under the auspices of the house system. Wish that I had been involved at the program's outset. Now that I'm in the final throes of clinical year, I sort of missed the boat, but am glad that the the year 1-3 students are enjoying it. It's quite a lot of work for the administrators and faculty involved- they deserve major kudos.

The house system at NCSU has really picked up speed since its initial roll-out with the c/o 2020. I came in on the tail end of the endeavor, and was never 'officially inducted' (as the first years are). The house system at NCSU is actually carefully crafted wellness initiative. The architects published a paper about its success in our curriculum in the International Journal of Higher Education (A Comprehensive Wellness Program for Veterinary Medical Education: Design and Implementation at North Carolina State University (PDF Download Available). We are, however, not the first to initiate it. These systems had been used in human medical education (particularly at Vanderbilt) for years before we picked it up. NCSU does an excellent job of covering different aspects of wellness (physical, social, etc.) under the auspices of the house system. Wish that I had been involved at the program's outset. Now that I'm in the final throes of clinical year, I sort of missed the boat, but am glad that the the year 1-3 students are enjoying it. It's quite a lot of work for the administrators and faculty involved- they deserve major kudos.

It was the first of the vet schools though, wasn't it? That's what I referring to.

At MSU, c/o 2021 was the the first to be sorted as we came in so I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

It was the first of the vet schools though, wasn't it? That's what I referring to.

At MSU, c/o 2021 was the the first to be sorted as we came in so I'm excited to see where it goes from here.
That's correct. NCSU was the first veterinary school to implement the system. I'm glad that it's catching on. Builds a nice sense of community between and among classes, faculty, and staff. After I read through this thread, I checked out the homepage for MSU's house system. Neat! I like the idea of organ systems as an organizing principle. The house names are also sweet.

That's correct. NCSU was the first veterinary school to implement the system. I'm glad that it's catching on. Builds a nice sense of community between and among classes, faculty, and staff. After I read through this thread, I checked out the homepage for MSU's house system. Neat! I like the idea of organ systems as an organizing principle. The house names are also sweet.
@Lab Vet do you know how they sort everyone? Is it random or what system do y’all have?

@Lab Vet do you know how they sort everyone? Is it random or what system do y’all have?
Closely-guarded secret ;) I actually don't know the method. I have a suspicion that sorting = computer algorithm that attempts to evenly distribute folks into houses based upon specific criteria (interest in vet med, age, gender, ethnic background, etc.).

When I was at the open campus day they said sorting wasn't anything special - one of the admin people (forget who) does it on his own, and mainly tries to have good even distribution of people. I think you take a quiz though, beforehand? They pointed out that its not something like, all the zoo people in one house and all the lab people in another or whatnot.

I mentioned earlier my class is doing a Hogwarts cup for our surgery class/first OHE...I made this for the tourney :artist:

Thought the people in this thread might get a kick out of it.

B809_ACC2_D0_B4_479_B_9_DD8_46_D5692_E0488.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
So, are you happy with the house system? I was worried when they announced it at Okstate that it would make things more divisive.