NC State University C/O 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCSU CVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Class of 2019 Applicants! I am the NC State Admissions Coordinator for the College of Veterinary Medicine. As you begin the application process, leave any questions you may have here and I will do my best to get them answered.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Class of 2019 Applicants! I am the NC State Admissions Coordinator for the College of Veterinary Medicine. As you begin the application process, leave any questions you may have here and I will do my best to get them answered.
Good morning and thank you for setting up this page! I am a non-resident and this is my second time applying. Is it true that you do not do file reviews for non-residents, or is there a way to speak to someone about my application from this past cycle? Thank you.

I am an IS student applying to NCSU CVM this cycle. Is there a way for me to set up a file review?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good morning and thank you for setting up this page! I am a non-resident and this is my second time applying. Is it true that you do not do file reviews for non-residents, or is there a way to speak to someone about my application from this past cycle? Thank you.

You are correct. We only offer folder review for in-state students. Make sure that you do meet our minimum qualifications found here: http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions.html
You can also see statistical information from previous classes here: http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions-faq.html

I am an IS student applying to NCSU CVM this cycle. Is there a way for me to set up a file review?

If you have questions regarding the application process that may benefit others feel free to ask them here! Additionally, you may find attending one of our Admissions Information Sessions beneficial. We cover everything you need to know regarding putting together an application, as well as give you a chance to ask any questions you may have. http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions-info.html

If your questions are more specific to your own prerequisites, hours of experience, ect... please contact our Admissions Coordinator. http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/

Hello again,
I see that 4 hours of Genetics (lab preferred) is listed as a requirement for admission. I have taken genetics (I did not see the option for a lab-it was a graduate course and I was a NDS) but I just found out that it was only 3 credit hours. Will NCSU still consider that requirement fulfilled?

Hello again,
I see that 4 hours of Genetics (lab preferred) is listed as a requirement for admission. I have taken genetics (I did not see the option for a lab-it was a graduate course and I was a NDS) but I just found out that it was only 3 credit hours. Will NCSU still consider that requirement fulfilled?
The Genetic lab is not required, according to their website it is 3 or 4 hours :)

We are unable to confirm that the course you took will meet our Genetics requirements without a course name, number, description and institution you completed it at. Please contact our Admissions Coordinator at [email protected] for review.

I'm not a NCSU Applicant, but I like seeing official school people in the threads!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question for the supplemental application. For references it says "veterinarian and or scientist " does that mean only dvms/PhDs ? What if I worked in a lab under someone with a master's?

Also, how many of these are you looking for? Do you want every veterinarian I've worked with? Or just ones who know me well?

As stated under the Veterinary Experience requirement "must be completed under the supervision of a veterinarian (or PhD scientist if scientific research)" from: http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions.html#SUBJECTIVE
Please email the Admissions Coordinator ([email protected]) with any extenuating circumstances.

Please submit the information for veterinarians who you have worked with and can speak to your abilities and personal characteristics.

Hello,

I see on your website that deferrals are granted to students but I was wondering if they were only granted for "rare extenuating circumstances"? I am very interested in attending your program but if I were to apply, be accepted and decide to take a year off to work and travel would I be likely to receive a deferral for such a reason? And if I were not to receive a deferral and were to apply again the next academic year, would it look negatively on my application that I had already applied and chosen not to attend? Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

Hello,

I see on your website that deferrals are granted to students but I was wondering if they were only granted for "rare extenuating circumstances"? I am very interested in attending your program but if I were to apply, be accepted and decide to take a year off to work and travel would I be likely to receive a deferral for such a reason? And if I were not to receive a deferral and were to apply again the next academic year, would it look negatively on my application that I had already applied and chosen not to attend? Thank you in advance for answering my questions!
...Just curious why you would apply this year if you know almost positively that you wouldn't attend til next year? Why not wait and apply until next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
...Just curious why you would apply this year if you know almost positively that you wouldn't attend til next year? Why not wait and apply until next year?
I wondered the same thing. It sounds like he/she just wants to be able to work and travel without having to worry about applying to vet school. I have heard of at least one person on this forum deferring admission to Penn in order to move to PA to work and gain residency, but I know that's not possible at every school. I doubt any school would let you defer in order to travel for fun. And personally I think turning down an acceptance in order to apply again (either to the same school or elsewhere) is a foolish idea. Regardless of what adcomms think of it, it means the whole application process was a waste of your time and money, and there's a chance you might not be accepted anywhere the next cycle just because the applicant pool is more competitive.

Hello,

As stated on the website, applicants who accept the offer of admission are fully expected to matriculate into the semester for which they are admitted. Extenuating circumstances include but are not limited to: medical emergencies, health concerns and academic options (Fulbright Award, completion of a graduate degree, etc.).

Additionally, it is understood that an admitted applicant can’t request a deferral in order to establish residency for tuition purposes or to finish completing prerequisites.

As stated under the Veterinary Experience requirement "must be completed under the supervision of a veterinarian (or PhD scientist if scientific research)" from: http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions.html#SUBJECTIVE
Please email the Admissions Coordinator ([email protected]) with any extenuating circumstances.

Please submit the information for veterinarians who you have worked with and can speak to your abilities and personal characteristics.
I have a question for the supplemental application. For references it says "veterinarian and or scientist " does that mean only dvms/PhDs ? What if I worked in a lab under someone with a master's?

Also, how many of these are you looking for? Do you want every veterinarian I've worked with? Or just ones who know me well?

To clarify, for the supplemental application, you may wish to list those veterinarians or scientists you have worked with who can adequately speak to your abilities that were not listed on the VMCAS application.

Last edited:
This is great. I think I know who this is.

When does NCSU begin to notify for decisions?

Anyone have the essay questions saved by any chance? Just went to the library to sit and write them all day, just to find that the server is getting maintenance done and the portal is down until tomorrow night -__-

Anyone have the essay questions saved by any chance? Just went to the library to sit and write them all day, just to find that the server is getting maintenance done and the portal is down until tomorrow night -__-

Aw, sorry I didn't see this till this evening, but here are the questions:

1. a) If asked today, what would be your professional goals for: (1) 3 years post-graduation and (2) 10 years post-graduation?
b) If you were never admitted into the DVM program, what would you do with your life?
2. What are you passionate about other than veterinary medicine and why?
3. In your opinion, what is the greatest challenge facing the future of veterinary medicine? What will you do to address this challenge?
4. If you were a team leader and there was conflict between team members, what strategy would you use to get people to work together to establish a common approach to the problem?
5. What do you feel is the role of a veterinarian in biomedical research and/or animal agriculture with regards to animal welfare?
6. Describe a situation where you interacted with someone from a significantly different background (i.e. social, geographic, cultural, religious, etc). than your own and how it impacted you.

Hope this helps :D

When do in-state applicants start receiving decision letters?

Quick question... does #8 on the supplemental application apply to non-NC residents? The one asking about if you applied before?

Quick question... does #8 on the supplemental application apply to non-NC residents? The one asking about if you applied before?
All applicants must answer all questions in the essay section.

Yes, it is still true. You have to live as an independent adult in NC for one full year. You have to get your NC Driver's license, register to vote, register your car, etc and can't be supported (even in part) by your parents. I found the student services staff really helpful in telling me in advance what I would need to do to get residency.

I'm an out of state applicant and I read somewhere that you can apply for residency after the first year and get instate tuition. I was wondering if that is still true?
Yes, you may apply for tuition reclassification one year after competition of the appropriate domiciliary acts. We collaborate with the office of Student Legal Services to ensure that first-year out-of-state students know the necessary steps they need to take in compiling an application.

Hey NCSu,

I read on you timeline that Residents would receive a "Receipt of Credentials" email on Nov. 1st. It is November 17th and I still have not received an email. Should I be worried?

Hey NCSu,

I read on you timeline that Residents would receive a "Receipt of Credentials" email on Nov. 1st. It is November 17th and I still have not received an email. Should I be worried?

I got mine a little later than that last year. Send them an email if you have not heard anything from them yet :) Good luck!

Hey NCSu,

We have sent receipt of credential emails to all out-of-state applicants. We hope to have receipt of credential emails out to in-state applicants within the next two weeks. We process applications in the order they are verified from VMCAS. There is a delay between when you submit your application until it is verified and sent to NC State. Thank you for your patience! Don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have.

NCSU CVM,

I was wondering if the Fall 2014 grades will be considered in the last 45 credit hours GPA calculation?

Thank you

NCSU CVM,

I was wondering if the Fall 2014 grades will be considered in the last 45 credit hours GPA calculation?

Thank you

No, Fall 2014 grades are not considered in the last 45 credit hour GPA calculation if you applied for the class of 2015. We calculated each GPA category based upon the coursework that has been completed at time of application. Please note that you must submit a transcript for Fall 2014 coursework by January 15, 2015.

Last edited:
No, Fall 2014 grades are not considered in the last 45 credit hour GPA calculation if you applied for the class of 2015. We calculated each GPA category based upon the coursework that has been completed at time of application. Please note that you must submit a transcript for Fall 2014 coursework by February 1, 2015.

Thank you for the response and reminder! I'm very excited and hope to hear soon from NCSU!

No, Fall 2014 grades are not considered in the last 45 credit hour GPA calculation if you applied for the class of 2015. We calculated each GPA category based upon the coursework that has been completed at time of application. Please note that you must submit a transcript for Fall 2014 coursework by February 1, 2015.
About fall transcripts... where do they need to be sent?

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/admissions.html#Special
This website says they need to be sent to VMCAS under "Timeline Reminders" but then says they need to be sent to NC State under "Fall Transcripts" :confused:

Please send Fall Transcripts to:
NC State University
College of Veterinary Medicine
Student Services Office
1060 William Moore Drive
Box 8401
Raleigh, NC 27607

Last edited:

This website says they need to be sent to VMCAS under "Timeline Reminders" but then says they need to be sent to NC State under "Fall Transcripts" :confused:

My apologies for the confusion. Please send Fall Transcripts to:
NC State University
College of Veterinary Medicine
Student Services Office
1060 William Moore Drive
Box 8401
Raleigh, NC 27607

Thanks! These need to be official transcripts from the university, right?

Thanks! These need to be official transcripts from the university, right?
Yes, these must be official transcripts.
As stated on the admissions requirements website: "Student grade reports and other unofficial documentation will not be accepted in lieu of official transcripts. Any candidate submitting fraudulent information, omits academic history or fails to include required materials will be disqualified immediately."

Please note that February 1 was held over from last year when VMCAS verified fall transcripts. For this cycle, please submit fall 2014 transcripts by January 15th. If this is an issues please contact [email protected]

Please note that February 1 was held over from last year when VMCAS verified fall transcripts. For this cycle, please submit fall 2014 transcripts by January 15th. If this is an issues please contact [email protected]
This would have been nice to know earlier, as the email we received said Feb 1st. I hope that people who don't use SDN have a way of finding out this information.

Uh-oh, I don't even know if I can get my official transcript until the semester begins on the 21st. Guess I have some calls to make tomorrow.

Last edited:

In regards to our fall 2014 grades, since they are due a couple weeks before decisions are released, will they be considered at all in the final decision process?

In regards to our fall 2014 grades, since they are due a couple weeks before decisions are released, will they be considered at all in the final decision process?
The Admissions Committee will have access to Fall 2014 grades as they review applications.

Hello! I have a couple of questions. Is there a dress code for students during normal class days, not during clinical work? If so, what is it? Lastly, are lectures recorded in some form or fashion for students to access so that they may go back to the audio/video while they study? Thank you so much in advance for your help!