NC State University c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCSU CVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Class of 2020 Applicants! This is the Student Services Office for the College of Veterinary Medicine. As you begin the application process, leave any questions you may have here and I will do my best to get them answered.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@NCSU CVM

Hi there! I'm working on the supplemental, and I was wondering--for "References," if there were multiple doctors at a hospital (and there is a reference from that hospital), is it important to list each doctor, and if so, how do I split up the hours? Thanks!

For the VMCAS application, list the primary doctor with whom you gained experience as the contact person. You will list the total hours at that practice. There is no need to define hours by individual doctor.

For the NC State supplemental application, you can list the other doctors with whom you worked but aren't providing a letter of reference.

Hi! I had a few questions about scholarships. Are there many available to first-year vet students? When should I start looking into them? I am currently working on my VMCA's application. Do you have any helpful resources or places to start?

Wow! It is this time again. A year goes really fast. I am in NCSU 2019, and we just got our bills on Monday.

Good luck yall.

Tidbit of advice: Don't regurgitate your resume on your personal statement. Also, give yourself at least 2 months to write your statement. It is more challenging than it seems.;)

Why doesn't NCSU accept animal science department genetics? Why do some schools accept it, and others don't? What's the difference? Surely it shouldn't be enough to prevent your DVM from being "less valid" in the long run, if that makes *any* sense at all.

It's completely different course material from what I experienced. I took them both.

Hello NCSU! I have a question regarding the NCSU Program Materials prerequisite section on VMCAS. My biology, microbiology, and physics courses include the lab grade in the overall course grade. At the moment I have simply clicked the "I Am Not Matching Any Courses to this Prerequisite" button for the lab section of each of these courses-- is that the correct way to handle this?

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it!

Hello NCSU! I have a question regarding the NCSU Program Materials prerequisite section on VMCAS. My biology, microbiology, and physics courses include the lab grade in the overall course grade. At the moment I have simply clicked the "I Am Not Matching Any Courses to this Prerequisite" button for the lab section of each of these courses-- is that the correct way to handle this?

While they may have a better answer for you, while I was doing their supplemental app they wanted you to relist all your prerequisite classes on their form and it had instructions to use the same course to fulfill class and lab requirement, but only list the grade for the class portion. I think so you don't inflate your prerequisite GPA or something.

It's also kind of a pain in the butt to have to list it all on VMCAS as fulfilling prereqs and then having to do it all again on the supplemental.

Hi! I had a few questions about scholarships. Are there many available to first-year vet students? When should I start looking into them? I am currently working on my VMCA's application. Do you have any helpful resources or places to start?
Newly admitted students are sent the link to apply for scholarships. Scholarship applications are open in the spring and close roughly on April 15.

There are different types of support with first year students receiving 10% of one pool and 40% of another pool. More information can be found at:

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/money.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Why doesn't NCSU accept animal science department genetics? Why do some schools accept it, and others don't? What's the difference? Surely it shouldn't be enough to prevent your DVM from being "less valid" in the long run, if that makes *any* sense at all.

Many animal science genetics courses are "breeding" specific. NC State looks for courses that cover the following topics:
Basic concepts and principles of prokaryotic and eukaryotic genetics. Mendelian inheritance, polygenic inheritance, linkage and mapping, chromosome aberrations, population genetics, evolution, DNA structure and replication, gene expression, mutation, gene regulation, extranuclear inheritance, bacterial and viral genetics, and recombinant DNA technology.

If these topics are included in your course, NC State will accept it as meeting the prerequisite.

While they may have a better answer for you, while I was doing their supplemental app they wanted you to relist all your prerequisite classes on their form and it had instructions to use the same course to fulfill class and lab requirement, but only list the grade for the class portion. I think so you don't inflate your prerequisite GPA or something.

It's also kind of a pain in the butt to have to list it all on VMCAS as fulfilling prereqs and then having to do it all again on the supplemental.

Since this is the first year of the new VMCAS application, we're asking applicants to list prerequisites on both the VMCAS application and NC State supplemental. While this produces applicant redundancy, we're doing it as a test since we had issues with receiving VMCAS data last year in our software system. This is a test year with the hope we can transition our supplemental to the VMCAS program page next year. We appreciate your patience and understanding for the 2020 admissions cycle.

This advice from another forum poster "Use the same course to fulfill class and lab requirement, but only list the grade for the class portion" is correct.

The new cvm.ncsu.edu website is live. Please take the time to orient yourself to the new layout; it is quite like walking into a grocery store that has rearranged the shelves!

Keep in mind there is an ongoing effort in development and features, you might notice slight changes over the next few days and weeks to come.

So...what do you think? What are your first impressions? Hopefully, you find the site easy to use, clean, and efficient. If you experience any problems, please let us know. We expect that a few things won't work quite as expected, and there are several areas that we have yet to complete. Additionally, please let us know if you spot typos, weird looking text or if you have Internet gremlins.

E-mail us at [email protected] or use the form found on this page: https://cvm.ncsu.edu/about-this-site/

Hi! I requested 4 eLORs for my VMCAs application and later read that NC State prefers only 3. Is this something that will put me at a great disadvantage? So far I have not been able to find a way to remove one of them from just my NC State app. (I am already submitted, just waiting on the fourth).

It is not going to put you at any disadvantage. I am not sure how they will work it, some schools do the first 3 submitted and others let you choose which ones you want.

Hi! I requested 4 eLORs for my VMCAs application and later read that NC State prefers only 3. Is this something that will put me at a great disadvantage? So far I have not been able to find a way to remove one of them from just my NC State app. (I am already submitted, just waiting on the fourth).

I had 4 eLORs and it didnt hurt my app. You will be fine.

Is there a way to access the supplemental app on the new NCSU CVM website? I don't know if I'm missing something, but the only way I'm able to find it is by googling NCSU vet supplemental. Thanks!

The Faculty Committee will read all letters that are submitted on your behalf. We don't ask applicants to designate specific letters to read.

This advice from another forum poster "Use the same course to fulfill class and lab requirement, but only list the grade for the class portion" is correct.

Thanks for your response. This worked for me on the supplemental, but I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out how to do this in VMCAS. When matching courses to the prerequisites, it appears to only allow you to select the course entry as a whole, including the grade received for it. Perhaps I am missing something?

As a side note, I like the new website-- it looks sharp and I find it quite easy to navigate.

Thanks for your response. This worked for me on the supplemental, but I am having a bit of difficulty figuring out how to do this in VMCAS. When matching courses to the prerequisites, it appears to only allow you to select the course entry as a whole, including the grade received for it. Perhaps I am missing something?

As a side note, I like the new website-- it looks sharp and I find it quite easy to navigate.

If you have to replicate the grade, then do so. We need to check with VMCAS as this seems to be an issue for many applicants.

Thank you for the positive feedback on the web site. I will forward it to our communications department.

If you have to replicate the grade, then do so. We need to check with VMCAS as this seems to be an issue for many applicants.

Thank you for the positive feedback on the web site. I will forward it to our communications department.

Will do, thank you very much for your help!

Is there a way to confirm that my supplemental application was successful other than an email confirmation saying that the fee was paid? Or does that email indicate that both the app and the fee were successful?

Is there a way to confirm that my supplemental application was successful other than an email confirmation saying that the fee was paid? Or does that email indicate that both the app and the fee were successful?
This was last year so take it with a grain of salt, but all I got was the payment notification, so I would think that indicates that your supplemental went through. I also got a couple emails in the days before the deadline that I hadn't submitted my supplemental yet (I'm a procrastinator) so you'll likely know if it didn't go through. Several weeks after the deadline I got an email that was basically a list of all of the materials they had received from me.

Does NCSU have a tracking page to make sure they received all of our application components? I know other schools have them. I get nervous that maybe GRE scores got lost in the mail or something! :)

DEADLINE REMINDER
VMCAS is 11:59:59pm ET on 09.15.2015
NC State Supplemental Application is 1:00:00pm ET on 09.16.2015

No, we currently don't have a tracking page for applicants to check on submission of application materials. The Student Services Office will contact you after the application is received from VMCAS to let you know what was received on your behalf.

"Does NCSU have a tracking page to make sure they received all of our application components? I know other schools have them. I get nervous that maybe GRE scores got lost in the mail or something!"

2016 Admissions Cycle Update
With less than a week remaining to the deadline for the 2016 admissions cycle, the Student Services Office can no longer conduct pre-evaluations on prerequisite courses.
The office will evaluate courses submitted and determine applicability toward the admissions requirements.

Also, Monday, September 14 is the last the office will check on the submission of GRE scores.

The Student Services Office will contact you after the application is received from VMCAS to let you know what was received on your behalf.

We thank you for understanding during this extremely busy period of the year.

On the References section of the supplemental, are we to only enter information for veterinarians we have worked with who did not write recommendation letters? I noticed that the instructions say "any veterinarian and/or scientist", but the header for the page says "References for Veterinary Experience". Would be appropriate for me to list a scientist I worked with for a non-veterinary experience?

Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:
On the References section of the supplemental, are we to only enter information for veterinarians we have worked with who did not write recommendation letters? I noticed that the instructions say "any veterinarian and/or scientist", but the header for the page says "References for Veterinary Experience". Would be appropriate for me to list a scientist I worked with for a non-veterinary experience?

Thank you very much for your time.

This section of the supplemental is reserved for applicants to list any DVM or PhD scientist with whom they've worked for "veterinary" experience who haven't written an LOR for the VMCAS application. This allows us to confirm experience hours if necessary. Please note that NC State considers "research" experience as meeting the 400 hour "veterinary" experience requirement.

I hope this clarifies your question. NC State CVM SSO

This section of the supplemental is reserved for applicants to list any DVM or PhD scientist with whom they've worked for "veterinary" experience who haven't written an LOR for the VMCAS application. This allows us to confirm experience hours if necessary. Please note that NC State considers "research" experience as meeting the 400 hour "veterinary" experience requirement.

I hope this clarifies your question. NC State CVM SSO

Yes, that helped. Thank you very much!

DEADLINE REMINDER
TODAY ----- VMCAS is 11:59:59pm ET on 09.15.2015
TOMORROW ----- NC State Supplemental Application is 1:00:00pm ET on 09.16.2015

DEADLINE REMINDER
CLOSED ----- VMCAS at 11:59:59pm ET on 09.15.2015
TODAY ----- NC State Supplemental Application is 1:00:00pm ET on 09.16.2015; applicants must submit before the deadline as application will "lock out" at 1pm.

Application numbers update
VMCAS...1,201 covering six different status designations (this figure should decrease)
SUPP APP...701 submitted and paid as of 8am this morning (173 in-state and 528 out-state)

Application numbers update #2
VMCAS...1,201 covering six different status designations (this figure should decrease)
SUPP APP...811 submitted and paid as of 1pm September 16 (209 in-state and 602 out-state)