NC State University c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally an email that's not about school events... Waitlisted but going somewhere else. Congrats you guys! You've made it! The stats I've seen on this forum are amaze-balls and the dedication is just incredible. You did it! Time to pawty:D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Was everyone's stamped for the same time or are they going out at different times?

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally an email that's not about school events... Waitlisted but going somewhere else. Congrats you guys! You've made it! The stats I've seen on this forum are amaze-balls and the dedication is just incredible You did it! Time to pawty:D
Are you going to A&M??

I hope they didn't stop for the night. Not sure I'll sleep tonight if I don't hear anything.

Reactions: 1 users
@superkelpie Yes of course! Gig 'em! (This feels really weird since I was a Longhorn for 5 years+pity+)

You won't be alone! We have many a'Horn in our class. :) You all become one big family quickly, regardless of your alma mater.

Congrats to those who got in!! :clap:

I hope they send out the rest of the emails. That would be torture!

Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing here. I'm kind of thinking I won't hear anything tonight.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to hang out and patiently await the decision email from them - NCSU is the last school I have to hear from! I'm sure it's just taking them a while to sort through emails with so many OOS applicants, and I would rather they take the time to do it well than rush to get all of the emails out quickly. I've been waiting since I submitted my application back in September - another day or two won't hurt. :)

In the meantime, congrats to everyone who got in or got waitlisted, and support to everyone who was rejected. :biglove:

@superkelpie Yes of course! Gig 'em! (This feels really weird since I was a Longhorn for 5 years+pity+)
Whoop! My decision is down to NCSU and A&M, and I have NO idea how I'm going to decide! A&M has been my dream school for the better part of a decade though, so there's a good chance we'll end up as classmates :)

Whoop! My decision is down to NCSU and A&M, and I have NO idea how I'm going to decide! A&M has been my dream school for the better part of a decade though, so there's a good chance we'll end up as classmates :)
Better barbeque and warmer weather? :rolleyes:

Just received my email, rejected OOS. At least I know where I'm going to school now.

Rejected OOS too. Oh well, I already have an acceptance to a great school and am still waiting to hear from 2 others. Good luck to everyone else, wherever you end up!

Congrats to all those accepted! Now us IS applicants play the waiting game!! All the schools I have applied for still haven't given OOS decisions yet. I'm dying over here.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to all those accepted! Now us IS applicants play the waiting game!! All the schools I have applied for still haven't given OOS decisions yet. I'm dying over here.
The IS waiting game is killing me! Luckily, I've already been accepted to one of the OOS schools I applied to, so there's not as much pressure. I will, for sure, be part of the class of 2020 (I'd just really like the option of going to my IS school...)

Rejected OOS which is ok because I still have some great choices :) congrats to everyone accepted!

Reactions: 1 user
The IS waiting game is killing me! Luckily, I've already been accepted to one of the OOS schools I applied to, so there's not as much pressure. I will, for sure, be part of the class of 2020 (I'd just really like the option of going to my IS school...)

Same for me! I try to let my OOS acceptance take some of the pressure off, but it isn't really helping. I just love NCSU! Heres hoping the rest of the wait isn't too bad!

Any other OOS applicants still waiting to hear back?

Just called them. They said all OOS emails were already sent so give them call if you haven't heard yet!

Called but it went to voice mail so I left a message. I wonder why our emails never got sent?

She said they sent one this morning but I never got it (checked spam, trash, etc).... so probably a technological glitch. Mine's a rejection but good luck! Sorry you have to keep waiting!

She said they sent one this morning but I never got it (checked spam, trash, etc).... so probably a technological glitch. Mine's a rejection but good luck! Sorry you have to keep waiting!
I'm hoping they'll get back to me by tonight. :) I wonder - my name is kind of difficult to spell and my email is [my name]@[email provider], so I wonder if there's potential that my name was spelled incorrectly in the email they had originally intended to send. However, I was getting other emails from NCSU until a few weeks ago (never got the open house invitation or the email about the 5K). Who knows? :shrug:

Rejected OOS, but I'm just glad to know where I'm going! Congrats to everyone who got accepted! Best of luck to everyone!

Can any current students talk about whether attending Accepted Students Day was helpful? What sort of programming did they have and is it an all day event (i.e. can I fly in that morning)? Also, for OOS, what are the requirements for becoming IS? Thanks!!

Can any current students talk about whether attending Accepted Students Day was helpful? What sort of programming did they have and is it an all day event (i.e. can I fly in that morning)? Also, for OOS, what are the requirements for becoming IS? Thanks!!
It is all quite a blur really. The Class of 2019 will be in charge of scheduling and planning it. Usually you will have some information sessions and a tour around school. There is a banquet that afternoon/evening to talk to faculty and current students. Usually that night there is a get together with students from all the classes at a local bar.

I believe that it usually does no start until that afternoon, but I am not 100% sure.

Congrats to all the OOSers on your admission to the NCSU CVM. I remember the day I received my OOS acceptance, and how completely shocked I was. I drove up beside my apartment complex's mailbox bank, opened the [very thin, hard copy letter], and had to read it twice because I couldn't believe it. Here I am, two years later. NCSU is a great school. I had other good options for school, but couldn't be more pleased with my decision. NCSU was my first choice from the get go, and I am very fortunate to be a student here.

As for the OOS to IS residency transition- it's very smooth, provided you complete the tasks outlined for you by Student Legal Services. NCSU has a lawyer on retainer to assist with student legal concerns (everything from residency designation to parking tickets). As an OOS student, you will receive an email from this individual (Pamela Gearce) mid-summer, should you accept NCSU's offer. Pam will outline exactly what you need to do (and the time frame), for you to secure IS residency. Don't underestimate the importance of time frame. I relocated multiple times prior to attending vet school, so the residency game was not new for me. Here is what you need to know (in a nutshell):

-Arrive in NC the summer prior to your first semester. Register your vehicle, register to vote, and get an NC driver's license- asap, as in, as soon as you get here. You want to maximize the time your name is on these documents, associated with the state. NC is a little weird in that you need to transfer vehicle title to NC prior to obtaining your NC registration. This is the first state I've lived in where this is the case.

-DO NOT permit your parents to claim you as dependents on their tax return (it's too late for this year, so that would be for 2017 submissions). If you're claimed as a dependent, your chances of securing IS residency are shot. You need to file your own tax returns- both state (NC, and wherever your'e moving from) and federal.

-Secure a place to live, and get your name on the lease asap. I actually locked my apartment in April of my acceptance year, and began paying on the place in June. The longer you can demonstrate physical ties to the state, the better your chances.

-Document your official involvement in organizations and activities related to NC. Member of a religious organization in the state? Get your membership documented in a letter from the institution's admin folks. Volunteer for a NC organization? Document it.

-I do not personally recommend looking for a PT job until the end of your first semester, but folks often do so earlier than my recommendation. Making money in the state will only add credibility to your tax status. I began working for NCSU the summer of my first year, so did have some financial claim to the state when I submitted my residency application.

The residency application will be due the late summer/early fall following your first year (just prior to the beginning of second year). I had no problem obtaining residency- my application slid right on through, and I received my decision within two days of submission. Follow the instructions you're given, and don't test the system. You should have no issues. Pam Gearce is there to help you should you have questions or concerns. She'll even review your application for you before you submit, so long as you provide her with sufficient time to review prior to the deadline.

Admitted student's day: I thought it was helpful, but am disappointed this year that it's not tied to open house. There will be student-led panels (what's life in Raleigh like, tell me what you wish you would have known prior to starting, tell me the negative and positive aspects of the school/curriculum) in which you can participate. There will be tours of the academic, research, and teaching animal facilities. There will be social activities for you to participate in- organized and led by the current first year class. It's up to you as to whether or not you think a trip out here for these offerings would be worth your time. The school wants to recruit you at this stage, and it's important to the powers-that-be that you know what NCSU's culture is like, and that it's a good fit for your personality and professional goals.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to shoot me a PM should you have any questions. Congrats!

Admitted student's day: ...The school wants to recruit you at this stage, and it's important to the powers-that-be that you know what NCSU's culture is like, and that it's a good fit for your personality and professional goals.
So would you say this day is more of a sell me on NCSU type day or a pre-orientation type day? Because I'm already sold on NCSU. I did open house last spring.

Still waiting on IS acceptance though. So hard to wait.

All Non-Resident Admissions Letters have been sent. If you are a non-resident applicant and have not received an email with your admissions decision letter, please email the CVM Student Services office at [email protected] so that we may resolve this issue.

Congrats to all the OOSers on your admission to the NCSU CVM. I remember the day I received my OOS acceptance, and how completely shocked I was. I drove up beside my apartment complex's mailbox bank, opened the [very thin, hard copy letter], and had to read it twice because I couldn't believe it. Here I am, two years later. NCSU is a great school. I had other good options for school, but couldn't be more pleased with my decision. NCSU was my first choice from the get go, and I am very fortunate to be a student here.

As for the OOS to IS residency transition- it's very smooth, provided you complete the tasks outlined for you by Student Legal Services. NCSU has a lawyer on retainer to assist with student legal concerns (everything from residency designation to parking tickets). As an OOS student, you will receive an email from this individual (Pamela Gearce) mid-summer, should you accept NCSU's offer. Pam will outline exactly what you need to do (and the time frame), for you to secure IS residency. Don't underestimate the importance of time frame. I relocated multiple times prior to attending vet school, so the residency game was not new for me. Here is what you need to know (in a nutshell):

-Arrive in NC the summer prior to your first semester. Register your vehicle, register to vote, and get an NC driver's license- asap, as in, as soon as you get here. You want to maximize the time your name is on these documents, associated with the state. NC is a little weird in that you need to transfer vehicle title to NC prior to obtaining your NC registration. This is the first state I've lived in where this is the case.

-DO NOT permit your parents to claim you as dependents on their tax return (it's too late for this year, so that would be for 2017 submissions). If you're claimed as a dependent, your chances of securing IS residency are shot. You need to file your own tax returns- both state (NC, and wherever your'e moving from) and federal.

-Secure a place to live, and get your name on the lease asap. I actually locked my apartment in April of my acceptance year, and began paying on the place in June. The longer you can demonstrate physical ties to the state, the better your chances.

-Document your official involvement in organizations and activities related to NC. Member of a religious organization in the state? Get your membership documented in a letter from the institution's admin folks. Volunteer for a NC organization? Document it.

-I do not personally recommend looking for a PT job until the end of your first semester, but folks often do so earlier than my recommendation. Making money in the state will only add credibility to your tax status. I began working for NCSU the summer of my first year, so did have some financial claim to the state when I submitted my residency application.

The residency application will be due the late summer/early fall following your first year (just prior to the beginning of second year). I had no problem obtaining residency- my application slid right on through, and I received my decision within two days of submission. Follow the instructions you're given, and don't test the system. You should have no issues. Pam Gearce is there to help you should you have questions or concerns. She'll even review your application for you before you submit, so long as you provide her with sufficient time to review prior to the deadline.

Admitted student's day: I thought it was helpful, but am disappointed this year that it's not tied to open house. There will be student-led panels (what's life in Raleigh like, tell me what you wish you would have known prior to starting, tell me the negative and positive aspects of the school/curriculum) in which you can participate. There will be tours of the academic, research, and teaching animal facilities. There will be social activities for you to participate in- organized and led by the current first year class. It's up to you as to whether or not you think a trip out here for these offerings would be worth your time. The school wants to recruit you at this stage, and it's important to the powers-that-be that you know what NCSU's culture is like, and that it's a good fit for your personality and professional goals.

Hope this was helpful. Feel free to shoot me a PM should you have any questions. Congrats!
Thanks! That was super helpful, and I just bought my plane tix to Raleigh for April 1 :)

Whelp, rejected OOS. I'm okay with it though. Given the fact that my name was misspelled in my letter and a few other things I'm not sure NCSU would have been a super great fit for me anyway - and, of course, OOS admissions are just incredibly competitive in general, so you can't win them all. :shrug:

So would you say this day is more of a sell me on NCSU type day or a pre-orientation type day? Because I'm already sold on NCSU. I did open house last spring.

Still waiting on IS acceptance though. So hard to wait.
Depends on how you look at it. In some ways, what you've said is true. There are many other benefits to attendance, though. You'll meet many of your future classmates at admitted students day. I clearly remember those folks with whom I interacted. Not that you won't 'make friends' should you not attend, but it was pretty cool to recognize some faces come orientation. Also, some students set up housing arrangements based on relationships they establish during admitted student's weekend. If it were me (it was me, a few years back), I'd definitely outlay the cash to attend. In my opinion, it's worth it to ensure that the school is a good fit for you and to meet several people with whom you'll be spending the next four years of your life (faculty, administrators, and students). This is also an opportunity to get your questions answered by upperclassmen. Current students will tell you the good and the not so good (at least they should- I was certainly honest). No school is perfect, and you should be certain that the strengths and weaknesses inherent to a curriculum is a good fit for you. In my opinion, attendance is well worth the cost.

Last edited:
is there a dress code for everyday lectures? I know there are for some schools

I clearly remember those folks with whom I interacted. Not that you won't 'make friends' should you not attend, but it was pretty cool to recognize some faces come orientation. Also, some students set up housing arrangements based on relationships they establish during admitted student's weekend. If it were me (it was me, a few years back), I'd definitely outlay the cash to attend. In my opinion, it's worth it to ensure that the school is a good fit for you and to meet several people with whom you'll be spending the next four years of your life (faculty, administrators, and students).
I agree that meeting people is great and I was really excited about it but I have somewhere to be that evening 3.5 hours away. I thought it would be mostly during the day but it sounds like it extends into the evening hours? I don't really have a say over if it's a good fit...it's the only place I applied :p
I hope to be there for as much of it as possible, assuming I even get offered acceptance!

Thanks for the info!

is there a dress code for everyday lectures? I know there are for some schools
We do not have a dress code for everyday lectures. We have some that show up in pj pants and other in jeans. Just depends on how late we were up the night before ;)

Anatomy lab is lab coat and closed toe shoes (coveralls for 2nd semester are highly recommended). TAU (where we get to play with large animals) is coveralls and rubber boots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted OOS. I am between Ohio State and NCSU. Does anyone have any input or things I should know before making my decision? I am living in Ohio for undergrad (still OOS for Ohio though), so I have seen OSU. I am attending NCSU's admitted students day. NCSU is about $69,500 cheaper for me(granted I am able to switch to IS after my first year at both schools). The post explaining the process was very helpful, but does anyone know about how many students are able to switch to IS, versus the amount turned down? I am nervous about this. Also, I am planning on practicing mixed animal, but my biggest interest is large animal. Any and all input is appreciated!

Accepted OOS. I am between Ohio State and NCSU. Does anyone have any input or things I should know before making my decision? I am living in Ohio for undergrad (still OOS for Ohio though), so I have seen OSU. I am attending NCSU's admitted students day. NCSU is about $69,500 cheaper for me(granted I am able to switch to IS after my first year at both schools). The post explaining the process was very helpful, but does anyone know about how many students are able to switch to IS, versus the amount turned down? I am nervous about this. Also, I am planning on practicing mixed animal, but my biggest interest is large animal. Any and all input is appreciated!

Congrats on your OOS acceptance. The school does not release annual success rates of IS/OOS transitions to the student body. I will tell you that the process is very straightforward. Most people I've talked to have been successful on their first attempt- PROVIDED INSTRUCTIONS WERE FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER. The school lays this process out for you. Truly, admin couldn't be more transparent about the process. If you are naive and uninitiated to federal and state tax laws, this is the part of the IS residency application (along with vehicle registration, driver's license, etc.) that will sink your application. DO NOT allow your parents to claim you as a dependent. I repeat- DO NOT permit your parents to claim you as a dependent on their federal and state tax returns. This will invalidate your claim to IS status. If your parents claim you, you're not getting IS residency- end of story. Other rules you need to abide by: You cannot leave the state of NC for > 7 days during the entirety of your first year. YOU (as in, not your parents) need to file taxes for NC, beginning the year you're admitted. Generally, people are successful with the process. Some fail, because they don't follow instructions. Failure to follow instructions originates from two sources- willful negligence and ignorance. If, when you read the IS residency requirements, you don't understand something, the onus is on you to get clarification. It is not the school's responsibility to ensure that you're keeping up with what you need to do to claim IS residency. That being said, resources are available to you to help you with the process. It's not rocket science.

As for large animal, there are several folks in my class planning (or already committed) to this direction. The state of NC has particular agricultural strengths in swine and poultry (turkeys and broilers). NC does have a presence in the beef industry, but nothing in comparison to Kansas, Montana, and the like. You can still get high quality bovine experience at NCSU- we have very dedicated faculty in both beef and dairy. ALL students (regardless of focus area) participate in three years (both semesters, each year) of Teaching Animal Unit classes- TAU is NCSU's working farm. Not only do the animals on TAU serve as teaching subjects, they're also sold as commodities on NC's agricultural market. The lecture portion of TAU classes describe the industry associated with a particular species (i.e. vertical integration of the poultry industry, all-in-all-out management of swine facilities, etc.) as well as animal physiology and disease process. The hands-on portion changes from year to year, with increasing responsibility/task complexity as students progress in the curriculum. I'm a second year. So far this semester, I've done lameness and neuro exams on horses, drawn blood from chickens, and collected sterile milk samples from Holstein cattle. TAU consists of Equine, Bovine (beef), Bovine (dairy), Poultry (broilers), Poultry (turkeys), Small Ruminants (sheep), and Small Ruminants (goats). It is one of the highlights and selling points of NCSU's veterinary school.

I've said this many times on SDN, and I'll say it again here. Your most important consideration in attending vet school is to get a solid foundation in BASICS. The DVM degree prepares you to be an entry-level, general practitioner. In-depth specialization will come from on the job experience (either full time work, or via formal advanced training) following graduation. You will get a veterinary education of excellent quality no matter which US-accredited school you attend. Rather than focusing on species to make your decision, I would place your emphasis on other things: What's the culture of the place? Are faculty committed to student learning? What opportunities are available to DVM students for hands-on learning? What are the curricular strengths?

NCSU is a great school. I'm very happy here. I've never been to the OSU, but am in the midst of applying for a summer program with their lab animal unit. It's also an excellent school. Don't underestimate the importance of finances in making your decision. The quantity of debt that you carry post-graduation makes a lot of difference in terms of the flexibility you have to take (or leave) particular positions and enjoy your life outside of work. NCSU offers an excellent education at a reasonable price- for both IS and OOS students. I chose NCSU over other options for this reason, as well as for the fact that Research Triangle Park (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) is the place to be if you want to do cutting edge biomedical research- there are a lot of opportunities in laboratory animal medicine here. For these reasons, it was the best choice for me.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck with the decision.

We do not have a dress code for everyday lectures. We have some that show up in pj pants and other in jeans. Just depends on how late we were up the night before ;)

Anatomy lab is lab coat and closed toe shoes (coveralls for 2nd semester are highly recommended). TAU (where we get to play with large animals) is coveralls and rubber boots.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Like I would adhere to a dress code, WulfpackChicka? ;) One of our classmates asked me the other day if I even own dress clothes.

Whelp, rejected OOS. I'm okay with it though. Given the fact that my name was misspelled in my letter and a few other things I'm not sure NCSU would have been a super great fit for me anyway - and, of course, OOS admissions are just incredibly competitive in general, so you can't win them all. :shrug:
I'm sorry to hear that you have concerns regarding your application experience. We pull the applicant name directly from the information provided in the VMCAS application. Please send a direct message with your name and other concerns to <[email protected]> and I can investigate further. Thanks, Jeff Huckel, Director of Student Services

We typically have a 94% to 98% residency conversion rate. The reasons individuals don't convert residency are:
1. the aforementioned mistakes or apathy
2. personal reasons preventing an application

We advise all students to work with Pam Gerace, Director of Student Legal Services.

I hope this information is helpful.

Last edited: