NC State University c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCSU CVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Class of 2021 Applicants! This is the Student Services Office for the College of Veterinary Medicine. As you begin the application process, leave any questions you may have here and we will do our best to get them answered.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thinking about applying! I have one vet reference, but it's a pathology resident and NCSU suggests that you have two. I work as an assistant in oncology at Purdue's vet school. Hopefully I'll get to know the clinicians more, but I was wanting to ask one of them later in the summer. If I got one at the teaching hospital and the pathology resident, would that meet the requirement?

Thinking about applying! I have one vet reference, but it's a pathology resident and NCSU suggests that you have two. I work as an assistant in oncology at Purdue's vet school. Hopefully I'll get to know the clinicians more, but I was wanting to ask one of them later in the summer. If I got one at the teaching hospital and the pathology resident, would that meet the requirement?
Three (3) recommendations are required using the VMCAS Electronic Evaluation system (eLOR). Each evaluator should include a written narrative that supports his or her overall evaluation of the applicant. Applicants must submit letters through the eLOR system. Although VMCAS allows a maximum of 5 submissions, NC State only requires 3 letters of recommendation and prefers to only receive 3 letters per applicant when possible.

It is highly recommended that two recommendations (2) are submitted by veterinarians or PhD scientists with whom the applicant has worked in a veterinary or research setting. The letters must describe the nature of the work relationship. The third letter can be from an academic advisor, employment supervisor or other evaluator of the applicant’s choosing who has some working knowledge of the applicant. Applicants should not ask relatives to submit letters on their behalf.

Evaluations should support experiences listed and validate maturity, commitment and work ethic with specific examples. The admissions committee may contact references directly if further information or clarification is required. You will be asked to provide contact information on the NC State supplemental application for veterinarians with whom you have worked who did not provide an electronic evaluation to help verify experience hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for being here to help! I have two questions:

1) Do you know when the NCSU supplemental application will be available?
2) For experiences in VMCAS, does NCSU have a preference for formatting (bullet points vs. sentences)?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for being here to help! I have two questions:

We don't have a specific date. More information needs to be provided to our IT Staff to update the application. We will post a notice here when it's ready.

2) For experiences in VMCAS, does NCSU have a preference for formatting (bullet points vs. sentences)?
No preference with regard to bullet points v. sentences. The committee does like reverse chronological order, like a resume/CV.
Additionally, we encourage full description. Don't just list an experience as "worked as receptionist in veterinary clinic." Be descriptive such as "worked the following duties in a veterinary clinic: received clients and patients, answered phones, processed billing, restrained patients, cleaned kennels, etc."

We hope this information is beneficial. CVM SSO

We don't have a specific date. More information needs to be provided to our IT Staff to update the application. We will post a notice here when it's ready.

No preference with regard to bullet points v. sentences. The committee does like reverse chronological order, like a resume/CV.
Additionally, we encourage full description. Don't just list an experience as "worked as receptionist in veterinary clinic." Be descriptive such as "worked the following duties in a veterinary clinic: received clients and patients, answered phones, processed billing, restrained patients, cleaned kennels, etc."

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I have a question. It's been recently discovered that VMCAS will not automatically reorder experiences to be chronological after submission, meaning we have to enter them all chronologically ourselves. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation, but I might have the opportunity to work with another vet this summer and will have more experience by the time I planned to submit in August compared to what I have now. However, I'll also be working full-time (60-80 hrs/week) starting in June so I wanted to enter the rest of my experiences now to minimize stress. If I was able to work with the other vet, I was just going to add that experience right before submission, without deleting and re-entering all the others to be chronological, and was going to rely on it reordering. Does it matter to the schools if all experiences are in order? Is it okay to have one or two out of order? If needed, I can wait and enter them all right before submission, but I'm worried about the time and the stress involved in that since I know I'll be exhausted. Just wanted to know what your perspective on this issue is.

Hello, I have a question. It's been recently discovered that VMCAS will not automatically reorder experiences to be chronological after submission, meaning we have to enter them all chronologically ourselves. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation, but I might have the opportunity to work with another vet this summer and will have more experience by the time I planned to submit in August compared to what I have now. However, I'll also be working full-time (60-80 hrs/week) starting in June so I wanted to enter the rest of my experiences now to minimize stress. If I was able to work with the other vet, I was just going to add that experience right before submission, without deleting and re-entering all the others to be chronological, and was going to rely on it reordering. Does it matter to the schools if all experiences are in order? Is it okay to have one or two out of order? If needed, I can wait and enter them all right before submission, but I'm worried about the time and the stress involved in that since I know I'll be exhausted. Just wanted to know what your perspective on this issue is.

I can't speak for the other schools but NC State prefers that applicants list experiences in reverse chronological order (like on a CV or resume). It helps with order and differentiation.

I can't speak for the other schools but NC State prefers that applicants list experiences in reverse chronological order (like on a CV or resume). It helps with order and differentiation.

Okay, I will do that. Thank you for the response!

I'm taking a class over the summer that ends on 8/17. My GPA is just below the 3.4 cutoff, and success in this class will bring me up to a 3.4. Will I make the cutoff with the class ending so close to the deadline?

I'm taking a class over the summer that ends on 8/17. My GPA is just below the 3.4 cutoff, and success in this class will bring me up to a 3.4. Will I make the cutoff with the class ending so close to the deadline?

I bet you'll be okay if you just submit your transcript as soon as you finish the class, or if there's anyway to expedite your transcript, it would help!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OMG... You all will hopefully be my classmates.
Weird....

Applicants are required to submit both summer and fall transcripts during the admissions cycle. You may send directly to NC State by mail or electronically.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please take the GRE no later than August 15, 2016 in order for the scores to be available by the admission deadline of September 15, 2016.

You may submit officially either through VMCAS or through NC State directly (ETS CEEB code is 5496).

Last edited:
Please note that applicants to NC State complete both:
1. VMCAS Application
2. NC State Supplemental Application

In regards to diversity at NCSU... I am toying with the idea of including a bit about how I am a member of a very underrepresented group in the veterinary world, comprising less than 2% of graduates per AAVMC, but doing so would, I fear, open the door for discrimination on my application. I know it is not possible to predict any personal prejudices of those on the admissions committee, but would it be appropriate and/or desirable for me to put on my application that I am a member of the LGBT community and how it will add to the diversity of the ℅ 2021?

For repeated courses does NCSU average the two grades or take the higher grade?
The NC State DVM Program factors all administrations of a course into the GPA calculation. It doesn't drop the lower grade(s).

From Objective Criteria, https://cvm.ncsu.edu/education/dvm/admission/eligibility/

"Grades achieved in multiple course attempts will be calculated into the Required Course GPA, Overall GPA and Last 45 Hour GPA (if applicable). In other words, the lower grade(s) is/are calculated into the GPA (not dropped)."

In regards to diversity at NCSU... I am toying with the idea of including a bit about how I am a member of a very underrepresented group in the veterinary world, comprising less than 2% of graduates per AAVMC, but doing so would, I fear, open the door for discrimination on my application. I know it is not possible to predict any personal prejudices of those on the admissions committee, but would it be appropriate and/or desirable for me to put on my application that I am a member of the LGBT community and how it will add to the diversity of the ℅ 2021?
Applicants are permitted to include information they feel is relevant to support their application.

You can read more about NC State's commitment to diversity at: https://oied.ncsu.edu/diversity/

The Student Services Office will need the transcript in order to include the course into the GPA calculation. Please submit the transcript on or before September 15, 2016.

I didn't outright discuss my sexuality, but I did put information on my involvement with our GLBT center and other community stuff on my application. Didn't seem to hurt me.

Post acceptance - the class above and below me definitely had more out people than mine, and while you'll find jerks everywhere (and it is the South), I found the school and hospital to generally be a very very accepting place.

Dear NCSTATE--- as a reapplicant, how much of our previous application do you take into account? Do you treat re-applicants just like first-timers, or look at both applications as a consideration? Thanks!

Dear NCSTATE--- as a reapplicant, how much of our previous application do you take into account? Do you treat re-applicants just like first-timers, or look at both applications as a consideration? Thanks!
Reapplicants submit all new credentials in subsequent admissions cycles. Applicants have the opportunity to declare that they have applied previously and notify the committee of specific actions taken between applications (on the supplemental application).

Hi, I have a couple questions as I am considering applying to NC State as an OOS student. Thanks!

1)How heavily does NC State weigh large animal experience? Unfortunately I do not have much except for a small taste of it in some of my classes at school. The area where I live does not have any large animal farms, and I am a Small Animal major at Delaware Valley University. We do have farms, but it is hard for out-of-majors to work there, and I really did not consider it since I work in our on-campus Small Animal Labs and did not want to conflict with that. I have 500+ hours at a vet's office and probably around 600 or more hours working in the Small Animal Labs (I still have to calculate that out properly) along with other small animal experiences throughout elementary school to high school. Would I be at a significant disadvantage not having the large animal experience?

2)Also, I am only having one vet write me a letter of recommendation. I know NC State recommends 2, so should I try to get another one? I work in an office with multiple vets, but choose the head doctor, who I work with more often and who I knew would hopefully write me a good letter. Would this put me at a disadvantage as well?

Hi, I have a couple questions as I am considering applying to NC State as an OOS student. Thanks!

1)How heavily does NC State weigh large animal experience? Unfortunately I do not have much except for a small taste of it in some of my classes at school. The area where I live does not have any large animal farms, and I am a Small Animal major at Delaware Valley University. We do have farms, but it is hard for out-of-majors to work there, and I really did not consider it since I work in our on-campus Small Animal Labs and did not want to conflict with that. I have 500+ hours at a vet's office and probably around 600 or more hours working in the Small Animal Labs (I still have to calculate that out properly) along with other small animal experiences throughout elementary school to high school. Would I be at a significant disadvantage not having the large animal experience?

2)Also, I am only having one vet write me a letter of recommendation. I know NC State recommends 2, so should I try to get another one? I work in an office with multiple vets, but choose the head doctor, who I work with more often and who I knew would hopefully write me a good letter. Would this put me at a disadvantage as well?

In response to your questions...
1) The Faculty Committee on Admissions will evaluate the experience presented by the applicant. Specific types of experiences are not required. You are encouraged to articulate what you've learned/gained from the experience obtained.
2) The Faculty Committee on Admissions truly prefers two letters from doctors (DVM or PhD scientist) with whom the applicant has worked. This provides background on the veterinary experience obtained.

In response to your questions...
1) The Faculty Committee on Admissions will evaluate the experience presented by the applicant. Specific types of experiences are not required. You are encouraged to articulate what you've learned/gained from the experience obtained.
2) The Faculty Committee on Admissions truly prefers two letters from doctors (DVM or PhD scientist) with whom the applicant has worked. This provides background on the veterinary experience obtained.

Okay thank you so much for answering my questions!

The new date for the release of the NC State supplemental application is Wednesday, July 20, 2016.

Your patience is appreciated.

The NC State supplemental application for the 2017 admissions cycle is live!

https://cvm.ncsu.edu/education/dvm/admission/apply/

The NC State supplemental deadline is September 16, 2016 at 1:00pm ET.

The VMCAS application deadline is September 15, 2016 at 11:59pm ET.
Hello,
When I tried the above link I was able to go to the main application site with links to the different applications. However, when I tried to click on the link to the supplemental application it only loaded to a blank page. I tried the other links and they all worked for me, just not the supplemental application. I was wondering if there was another link that I could try so that I could begin the supplemental application?
Thank you.

I just accessed it in Google Chrome without an issue. Please try again. Let me know which browsers you are using and if you continue to experience problems.

I am using Safari and am still experiencing issues. I just tried on Firefox on my laptop and that is working for me so it just seems to be Safari that is the problem.

For the supplemental, I can't seem to find the option for "spring" under course grade for my future courses or "lab" for my labs that are included under another class. Is there another option for these that I should select?

For the supplemental, I can't seem to find the option for "spring" under course grade for my future courses or "lab" for my labs that are included under another class. Is there another option for these that I should select?
I need to use the scroll bar to see those choices. Perhaps you do too? Give it a try and report back. Thanks!

Yes I did, thanks for the help! For some reason on my computer it does not show the ability to scroll up and down but I was able to with my mouse

As of 08/09/2016, NC State has 1,299 applications "in progress" in the VMCAS system.

Today, August 15, 2016, is the preferred early submission VMCAS deadline as well as the last recommended date to take the GRE for the 2017 admissions cycle.

On the supplemental application prerequisite entry, it says we should enter the "course abbreviation & number". I am a little confused on what this is asking for. For example, should my Animal Nutrition course be written as "Prin Anim Nutrition ANSC 1100" or just "ANSC 1100"?
Thanks!

On the supplemental application prerequisite entry, it says we should enter the "course abbreviation & number". I am a little confused on what this is asking for. For example, should my Animal Nutrition course be written as "Prin Anim Nutrition ANSC 1100" or just "ANSC 1100"?
Thanks!

You just need to list the "course abbreviation & number" (ANSC 1100) and not the "course title" (Prin Anim Nutrition).

Hi, I had a few questions about entering prerequisites into the supplemental application that I hope you can help me with.

1. I took 2 biochemistry courses (I'm a biochemistry major and the major requirements are divided into 2 semesters, not a 1 semester survey of biochemistry class). Biochemistry I focuses only on molecular biology and Biochemistry II focuses just on metabolism. I was wondering how I would enter this into the application?

2. At the college that I attended, we only have 1 organic chemistry lab course to take but the application has spots for 2 organic chemistry lab spots. The number of hours of organic chemistry I took still adds up to 8 total hours but it is divided over 3 courses, not 4 courses. Should I leave one of the organic lab spots blank or do something else?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry for breaking this up into 2 posts but I just thought of a 3rd question.

3. For AP credit, are we meant to leave the college/university, semester, credit hours, and year blank?

Thanks again!

Hi, I had a few questions about entering prerequisites into the supplemental application that I hope you can help me with.

1. I took 2 biochemistry courses (I'm a biochemistry major and the major requirements are divided into 2 semesters, not a 1 semester survey of biochemistry class). Biochemistry I focuses only on molecular biology and Biochemistry II focuses just on metabolism. I was wondering how I would enter this into the application?

2. At the college that I attended, we only have 1 organic chemistry lab course to take but the application has spots for 2 organic chemistry lab spots. The number of hours of organic chemistry I took still adds up to 8 total hours but it is divided over 3 courses, not 4 courses. Should I leave one of the organic lab spots blank or do something else?

Thanks in advance!
In response to your questions,
1. enter the course that you are submitting in fulfillment of the prerequisite. There is a +/- button if you need to add or delete a line.
2. Yes, leave one of the lab slots blank. The transcript will show us the sequence and credit hours of the course. We start by giving the applicant the number of slots that equate to the NC State undergraduate prerequisite equivalents. We leave it up to the applicant to make the necessary adjustments.

Sorry for breaking this up into 2 posts but I just thought of a 3rd question.

3. For AP credit, are we meant to leave the college/university, semester, credit hours, and year blank?

Thanks again!
In response to your question,
3. Yes, just list AP in the grade slot. You can't fill in "college/university, semester, credit hours, and year blank" because it doesn't apply to AP.

VMCAS Reminder

From the AAVMC: Applicants have been reminded that it’s their responsibility to get their letters of recommendation into VMCAS by the September 15th deadline.

VMCAS WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY eLORs AFTER THE DEADLINE.

REMINDER
Please note that applicants to NC State complete both:
1. VMCAS Application
2. NC State Supplemental Application

The September 15th deadline is fast approaching!

IMPORTANT REMINDER - NC State Supplemental Application

The supplemental application is accessible at: https://cvm.ncsu.edu/education/dvm/admission/apply/

Access it on your own. You will not be prompted to complete an application by the Student Services Office.

The supplemental application deadline is Friday, September 16 at 1:00pm ET.

The VMCAS deadline is Thursday, September 15 at 11:59pm ET.

FYI - Please plan accordingly. Update from ETS re: GRE

GRE® Test-Taker Portal Experiencing Technical Difficulties

The GRE® test-taker portal is still experiencing some technical difficulties. We are continuing to work to resolve any issues and we regret the inconvenience that this is causing our customers.

Posted: August 31, 2016

UPDATE

GRE® Test-Taker Portal Experiencing Technical Difficulties

The GRE® test-taker portal is experiencing technical difficulties due to transitioning to a new system. We are continuing to work to resolve issues and we regret the inconvenience that this is causing our customers.

If you are experiencing problems with registration or rescheduling, contact Prometric Services at 1-443-751-4820 or 1-800-473-2255.

If you are experiencing any other difficulties, contact GRE Services via email at [email protected] or by phone at 1-609-771-7670 or 1-866-473-4373 (toll free for test takers in the United States, U.S. Territories and Canada). Representatives will be available from 8 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.

Posted: September 6, 2016