NC State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cedriccj3

NCSU CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be applying as a first time application to NC State (IS) this fall, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips?? If anyone who was accepted in previous years could share their stats it would be especially helpful, but all input is appreciated. Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to NCSU as a first time applicant this year, but most of my advice is just general stuff. Get started early, especially with your personal statement and getting your recommendations in. My biggest problem was that I had too much going on right around the time the application was due and regretted not having gotten all my ducks in a row well in advance of the deadline.

As for stats, check the Successful Applicant thread here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=589279

It has people from lots of different schools, but if you read through and look you can find the people who got in to NCSU.

I already answered your PM...and my stats are in the successful applicant thread. For others, I really do recommend attending the info session. Breadth/depth of experience was emphasized at the session I attended. Start early on the supplemental if you can. It has some 'interesting' quesitons (generic but not necessarily easy.)

Members don't see this ad :)
A few tid-bits on our wildlife, aquatics and zoological medicine offerings:

- Six American College of Zoological Medicine diplomates on faculty (including two adjuncts from the NC Zoo).

- A dedicated facility at the coast under the leadership of Dr. Craig Harms (CMAST).

-Close affiliations with the three NC Aquariums, Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center, NC Museum of Natural Sciences, the Beaufort NOAA lab, NMFS, Duke Marine Lab, UNC Marine program, and several other organizations and institutions.

- An ongoing and established residency program with three DVM residents.

- An exotic animal medicine service (opened full time in August 2012).

- The student-run Turtle Rescue Team.

- Weekly zoological medicine teaching rounds (CBS-817/818).

- A core curriculum with lectures and labs focused on zoological species.

- Numerous elective and selective course offerings that deal specifically with invertebrates, fishes, reptiles, birds, ferrets, non-human primates, conservation, international travel, One Health, and other topics.

- A clinical rotation focused on sea turtle medicine and surgery.

-Numerous research opportunities for DVM students (abstracts, presentations, and peer-review publications).

- Summer funding opportunities.

- Curriculum focus areas for zoological, laboratory animal, and combined small animal/special species medicine.

You can find more information on the NCSU-CVM web site!

www.cvm.ncsu.edu