NCSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
however if they are just mailing them out in 7 days, i guess that means that it will be a few more days after that before we actually find anything out!

Members don't see this ad.

Have any current students heard if they have officially decided the designation of the additional 20 seats as is or oos? the website still says they have not decided, but I'm guessing they just haven't updated it since they have already done oos acceptances and are so close to sending is acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any current students heard if they have officially decided the designation of the additional 20 seats as is or oos? the website still says they have not decided, but I'm guessing they just haven't updated it since they have already done oos acceptances and are so close to sending is acceptances.

I saw someone from student services giving a tour today, and she mentioned that they're all going to be IS seats.

7 days!?! I'm not ready!...I was sure they were not going to let us know until atleast march...good luck everyone!

MISINFORMATION ALERT:

Decision letters will not be finalized in 7 days. Please refer to the timeline located at:
http://cvm.ncsu.edu/studentservices/timeline.html

You posted that same reference last year and people got notifications two days later (March 1st) - it seems as though the timeline isn't followed 100%. While I take information from SDN with a giant grain of salt, in many instances it seems the information is more current than published materials. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
The Student Services Office hopes to beat the posted date but can't always guarantee that. It can, however, guarantee that resident decision letters will not be mailed on February 21.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone, I was just at the CVM for the Dual Degree interview. It was really awesome. He did tell me that he thinks the vet school is way behind on IS decisions and may not have them out until mid march. Just a heads up, I know there's all sorts of information out there.

Bummer! I was very excited by our "misinformation." There are less applicants this year than in the past, so you would think they would be ahead of schedule!

Hey everyone! Thought I should let you all know, a friend of mine who lives in Raleigh got her acceptance letter today from NCSU. It was dated 2/16/12. I live about an hour away from Raleigh, but I have not gotten a letter one way or another yet. Eeek! :scared: Hang in there!

I get the distinct feeling from your posts that you work for the university. :p

I'm super excited for the open house to happen again, though! I've still yet to tour the new center.

Hey everyone! Thought I should let you all know, a friend of mine who lives in Raleigh got her acceptance letter today from NCSU. It was dated 2/16/12. I live about an hour away from Raleigh, but I have not gotten a letter one way or another yet. Eeek! :scared: Hang in there!

jawdrop.gif
You're sure it was from NCSU? If so, omg. I'm so perplexed and terrified by the conflicting rumors haha.

Last edited:

my stomach is literally in knots with all the ups and downs of information, i just want this to be over with already!!!!:bang::bang::bang:

I get the distinct feeling from your posts that you work for the university. :p

I'm super excited for the open house to happen again, though! I've still yet to tour the new center.

jawdrop.gif
You're sure it was from NCSU? If so, omg. I'm so perplexed and terrified by the conflicting rumors haha.

Yes, I'm sure. I saw the letter myself. I think she is in a food animal scholars program though, so that might be why she is getting hers now? Also just checked the mailbox and no letter from NCSU for me today, just a rejection from UGA. :(

Yes, I'm sure. I saw the letter myself. I think she is in a food animal scholars program though, so that might be why she is getting hers now? Also just checked the mailbox and no letter from NCSU for me today, just a rejection from UGA. :(

I hope that is why...I live in the same zip code as the school and I have gotten nothing...
Sorry about UGA:(

I work at a vet hospital near Raleigh and a girl I work with says that a bunch of her friends brought in both their acceptance and rejection letters to class today! Ah!!!!!

Naught but credit card spam and roommate mail in my box, and I'm quite literally down the road. Grrrr! Wonder if maybe some went out earlier than others, or everyone's just playing a cruel joke on us, haha.

Some people were accepted as Food Animal Scholars at a ceremony last night so don't worry too much guys, it won't be much longer!

I am IS for NCSU, and got VERY excited when I read that people were getting their letters the past couple days. So, naturally, I ran full speed to the mailbox. But there was nothing there :( Fingers crossed it will really be coming sooner rather than later (ie March). Good luck to everyone else as well!

AdCom guy told me that Food Animal Scholars Forum was held on Thursday, February 16. The students in that program were recognized.

I don't know if this has been asked in the forum or not, but I've found I have a few questions about NC States curriculum. Does anyone know what year you start doing any kind of surgical procedures? i.e. do you start doing neuters your second year etc. I know you have the options of selectives and there's potential in that, but I wasn't sure if there was a definite lab in which you get to start surgeries. My other question was about terminal surgeries. Is this something NCSU practices?

Also, your finals are before thanksgiving?! Do any current students find this to be too condensed, or does it feel just about right since the start of classes are earlier in August?

Also, how important should things like the above be in your decision for veterinary school (how soon you start your surgical experiences)?

I don't know if this has been asked in the forum or not, but I've found I have a few questions about NC States curriculum. Does anyone know what year you start doing any kind of surgical procedures? i.e. do you start doing neuters your second year etc. I know you have the options of selectives and there's potential in that, but I wasn't sure if there was a definite lab in which you get to start surgeries. My other question was about terminal surgeries. Is this something NCSU practices?

Also, your finals are before thanksgiving?! Do any current students find this to be too condensed, or does it feel just about right since the start of classes are earlier in August?

Also, how important should things like the above be in your decision for veterinary school (how soon you start your surgical experiences)?

We start surgery lab second year. We do dog neuters and spays. We start surgery on cats in third year. (Second years on this forum, correct me if I'm mistaken about that!) We adopt out the animals; those aren't terminal surgeries.

Yep, finals are before Thanksgiving, which I was very grateful for. It's SO nice to be done before the Thanksgiving break, because you can truly enjoy it instead of studying. I much prefer that to having finals after Thanksgiving.

Oh, I actually got to participate in a koi surgery in my first semester, though! It was so cool! I took the fish medicine selective. I served as anesthetist for the first koi surgery, and assistant surgeon during the second surgery. As assistant surgeon, I did some of the abdominal exploration, and closed our skin incision with simple interrupted closures.

It's hard to say how important those factors you listed are in terms of deciding where to go...that's really up to you to determine. For me personally, I was looking for a school where I would feel quite comfortable with surgery by the time I graduated (having worked with vets who had minimal surgery experience before graduation, it's something I knew I'd need as much of as I could get). I'm very glad that we start surgery stuff here during second year.

By the way, here's the link to our curriculum: http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/dvm/Year2.html. Click on the right hand menu to see the curriculum for all of the years.

Last edited:
We start surgery lab second year. We do dog neuters and spays. We start surgery on cats in third year. (Second years on this forum, correct me if I'm mistaken about that!) We adopt out the animals; those aren't terminal surgeries.

Yep, finals are before Thanksgiving, which I was very grateful for. It's SO nice to be done before the Thanksgiving break, because you can truly enjoy it instead of studying. I much prefer that to having finals after Thanksgiving.

Oh, I actually got to participate in a koi surgery in my first semester, though! It was so cool! I took the fish medicine selective. I served as anesthetist for the first koi surgery, and assistant surgeon during the second surgery. As assistant surgeon, I did some of the abdominal exploration, and closed our skin incision with simple interrupted closures.

It's hard to say how important those factors you listed are in terms of deciding where to go...that's really up to you to determine. For me personally, I was looking for a school where I would feel quite comfortable with surgery by the time I graduated (having worked with vets who had minimal surgery experience before graduation, it's something I knew I'd need as much of as I could get). I'm very glad that we start surgery stuff here during second year.

By the way, here's the link to our curriculum: http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/dvm/Year2.html. Click on the right hand menu to see the curriculum for all of the years.

thank you! your response was very helpful!

A vet who graduated from here a few years ago told me she did a pig terminal surgery, but I don't know if that's changed. I'd contact the school if you want to know for sure.

Last edited:
Two third years who work at the clinic I was interviewing at were talking about doing pig surgeries a couple days ago, so I believe there's at least that one. I know the association of vets for animal rights used to have a spreadsheet on each school's policies, but they're now HSVMA and I can't find it any more.

Oh my gosh this anticipation is driving me nuts!!!! Can we in-staters please get some news!!!! (Good news, please?) :xf:I swear the beginning of this year has seemed like it's lasted forever.

Oh my gosh this anticipation is driving me nuts!!!! Can we in-staters please get some news!!!! (Good news, please?) :xf:I swear the beginning of this year has seemed like it's lasted forever.

I totally agree!! And it's gotten even worse since the rumors started that the letters are coming out earlier! I had planned to wait to freak out until March 1. But now it's in full swing already haha

I totally agree!! And it's gotten even worse since the rumors started that the letters are coming out earlier! I had planned to wait to freak out until March 1. But now it's in full swing already haha
seriously, i just want to go home today and find a nice envelope (preferably a thickish one) waiting in my mailbox...is that really too much to ask?!?!

I am having miniature freak outs on basically a daily basis right now. Adding to my misery is the fact that I looked back at the old forums, and even though last year the letters came around March 1, they didn't come until March 16 in 2010. I am so hoping that this will be the last week of waiting!

Just take a deep breath and remember that vet school itself will be much, much more stressful (kidding! :p).

Seriously though. They'll come when they come, there's no reason to get worked up in anticipation.

Just take a deep breath and remember that vet school itself will be much, much more stressful (kidding! :p).

Seriously though. They'll come when they come, there's no reason to get worked up in anticipation.

Yeah, true. The trouble is that we have been considering buying a home rather than renting next year if I am accepted and have found some very viable options for us. So I have that added extra push to want to know soon, in order to be able to make decisions.

But thanks for the calming words, I am trying to take a chill haha!

Not to ad to the confusion...but...I spoke with someone Friday who applied to NCSU and she heard from a "very reliable source" that the letters for IS were sent out Friday. I am assuming this "very reliable source" was one of the kajillion NCSU vet students she knows personally...but who knows...so yeah...just to freak everyone out again, I had to post this. Daaahh!!! ::::runs in circles:::: :confused::eek::confused::eek:

Not to ad to the confusion...but...I spoke with someone Friday who applied to NCSU and she heard from a "very reliable source" that the letters for IS were sent out Friday. I am assuming this "very reliable source" was one of the kajillion NCSU vet students she knows personally...but who knows...so yeah...just to freak everyone out again, I had to post this. Daaahh!!! ::::runs in circles:::: :confused::eek::confused::eek:

Haha these rumors are so confusing!!! Oh well, I'm stalking the mailbox anyways, so it doesn't change much. Thanks for sharing! :confused::scared::eek::confused:

Just received a phone call offering me a spot in the Combined DVM/PhD program. I would be starting the actual vet program with the class of 2017, but grad school in August. Still have a few more schools to hear from, but very excited about this opportunity and ultimately making my decision!

Congratulations on your acceptance! Hopefully this means other people will be getting letters soon.

Nothing in the mail today, which makes me wonder if they were really sent out on Friday because I live right down the road. But I guess we will find out soon enough!

Are any of y'all going to the pre-vet symposium this weekend? It's at NCSU this year!

Are any of y'all going to the pre-vet symposium this weekend? It's at NCSU this year!

I had thought about it! But I'm not in college....or in a pre-vet club...nor did I register for it (if it is something you need to do?) Thoughts?

p.s. congrats again foxhunter! that is so exciting!! I seriously hope this means the IS will start hearing :)

Just received a phone call offering me a spot in the Combined DVM/PhD program. I would be starting the actual vet program with the class of 2017, but grad school in August. Still have a few more schools to hear from, but very excited about this opportunity and ultimately making my decision!

Congrats! :highfive: That's really an amazing achievement, the program is super competitive.

Nothing in the mail today, which makes me wonder if they were really sent out on Friday because I live right down the road. But I guess we will find out soon enough!
Same! I can't imagine the letters went out on Friday. Maybe today, but seriously, I can walk to the vet school in like ten minutes... I think it would have gotten to my place within two business days. Or at least I'd hope so.

If I weren't going out of the country, I'd totally be going to APVMA... but yeah, Costa Rica is calling. :D I know a lot of the people who've been setting it up, though, and it's going to be pretty awesome. I posted recommendations on lectures on an older thread a couple months ago. Registration is super super full at this point, they had a looong waitlist last I heard.

Yes, congrats Foxhunter! What an acheivement! :)

And Trilt, wooo Costa Rica! Where in Costa Rica are you going? My hubby's family is from Puntarenas, so I've visited a couple of times. What will you be doing in CR?

And I really, really hope you guys start hearing back soon! :xf: for you guys. :)

Yes, congrats Foxhunter! What an acheivement! :)

Thanks so much. I'm utterly shocked at this point, my GPA is about 0.3 below the average for an OOS student.