NCSU c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry to hear about that news, @dalmatiandoc17 . Was looking forward to having you as a classmate. - you're not alone though, also had a friend who I would have sworn to be receiving an admissions offer that, in the end, got wait-listed =( I'm glad you have plenty of great schools to choose from and will still be a member of the class of 2018!

And congrats to @WulfpackChica on your acceptance, and to all the others who have started to post their news! cant wait to meet all of you!!

Just out of curiosity, Are many of you going to attend the events on the 28th/29th?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Farmerk! I cannot wait to meet everyone :)

I will be there both days.

I plan on being there on Friday for sure. Maybe Saturday, however, I have seen the open house events multiple times! You know, just went to drool and wish I was there! I might still go just to try to get myself out of this state of shock I've been in for the last couple of days!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be in Raleigh from March 28th through April 31st (traveling from/to Utah on March 27th and April 1st, respectively). Look forward to meeting you all!

Even though I live in Charlotte, I have never been to visit the campus, so I am very excited! I am heading up March 28th with my boyfriend to attend the Welcome Reception and meet all of you!!!! On that Saturday, I was planning to go house hunting with my family after a little open housing! I can't believe this is all happening... I'm still over here like:
2083496-is_this_real_life1.jpg

I'm from Raleigh but will be in Iowa for the open house and welcome reception, so I won't get to meet y'all until later! :(

I will be at the welcome reception but not the open house. Hope to meet you all there!

Hi guys! I've been stalking this thread forever lol. Sorry for the belated intro, but I just wanted to say that I will also be joining you all in the class of 2018! I'm a non-trad with a degree in Psychology from 2004. :) Lived in California for most of my life, but moved to NC four years ago. I look forward to meeting all of you at the welcome reception!!

Congrats to all who are accepted!

I am happy to help with any housing needs. I was helped last year by an awesome 2016er, and I'm happy to pay it forward. My google-fu is strong, and I can visit places if out-of-staters would like some eyes on the ground before signing anything.

OOS students, please be mindful that your application for residency will be compromised if someone from OOS (a parent, say) co-signs on your lease or mortgage. It's not worth it - find a place that will take you without a cosigner, or find an in-state cosigner.

My recommendation is to live as close to school as possible, but I do know people who like getting away from the area. I commuted 2+ hours a day for years before moving here, so I was over it. But YMMV (ha).

@gugoodoll, I had no idea about the skinks until one snuck into the house and one of my cats scared its tail off. It lived under my stove for a few days until we were able to coax it out and release it outside. They are very cool!

Also, I have many near-new school supplies to sell from a classmate who dropped out, including coveralls, boots, dissection kits, stethoscopes, scrubs, and more. They're high-quality, necessary for your first year, and at a great price! Keep an eye out - I'll be getting in touch with your class. Or if you're already interested, PM me and I'll let you know what I have.

LASTLY - 2017 has both a facebook group and private forum much like this one. I will be sending out an email once the class is finalized to invite members of 2018 to our 2017 class forum. If you would like access and you have already sent your acceptance to NCSU, PM me and I will set it up. It will be a good place to find roommates and housing advice from the class of 2017.

Cheers!

Sending off the letter saying I will not be accepting my admissions offer at NCSU. It's my dream school, but unfortunately it's a lot more practical to stay in state. I hate making these decisions. Hope it makes someone's day on the alternate list. Good luck in the future everyone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Was OS waitlisted in February and just got called and offered a spot! Dream come true!

Reactions: 5 users
I made it off the OOS wait list and have been offered a spot! But I've already accepted at Wisconsin... so that complicates things. I want to go up this weekend to visit the school to see if it's enough to change my mind. Definitely a good problem to have, but now I don't know what to do! I kind of already fell in love with Wisconsin, but NC State is also a great school...

I made it off the OOS wait list and have been offered a spot! But I've already accepted at Wisconsin... so that complicates things. I want to go up this weekend to visit the school to see if it's enough to change my mind. Definitely a good problem to have, but now I don't know what to do! I kind of already fell in love with Wisconsin, but NC State is also a great school...

If you end up making it here this weekend and spending a bit of time around Raleigh, you should stop by the science museum (http://naturalsciences.org/) downtown and we can chat! I'll be working in the butterfly room all weekend. ;) There's also lots of good restaurants nearby and most parking's free on weekends.

(our weather is waaaay better than wisconsin's, just sayin'...)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you end up making it here this weekend and spending a bit of time around Raleigh, you should stop by the [science museum](http://naturalsciences.org/) downtown and we can chat! I'll be working in the butterfly room all weekend. ;) There's also lots of good restaurants nearby and most parking's free on weekends.

(our weather is waaaay better than wisconsin's, just sayin'...)

Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that! :) Are there any places in Raleigh that you (or any other locals) suggest I go to really get a feel for the city? I'll be there from Thursday night to Sunday morning.

And yes, you're definitely right about the weather! (Brrrrr). But people love living in Madison, and it completely won me over during their open house. The visit is what made up my mind, so I'm hoping that once I go to Raleigh, I'll know for sure which one feels right.

(Btw, it's really funny that you work in a butterfly room because I'm doing a project on butterfly physiology as we speak!)

Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that! :) Are there any places in Raleigh that you (or any other locals) suggest I go to really get a feel for the city? I'll be there from Thursday night to Sunday morning.

And yes, you're definitely right about the weather! (Brrrrr). But people love living in Madison, and it completely won me over during their open house. The visit is what made up my mind, so I'm hoping that once I go to Raleigh, I'll know for sure which one feels right.

(Btw, it's really funny that you work in a butterfly room because I'm doing a project on butterfly physiology as we speak!)

I assume you're getting a tour of the vet school and such via the administration, but academics-wise, I'd also suggest checking out Centennial campus and especially the new Hunt library. It is beautiful and shiny and when our library gets full during finals it's great. :) It's sad you weren't accepted in time for our Open House a couple weekends back, it would have been a great showcase of everything.

Beyond that, what sort of things do you like? I like to think Raleigh is neat because it is really diverse and has a little bit of everything for people, while not necessarily excelling at one particular topic - but that also makes it somewhat difficult to give off the top recommendations. (Beyond my museum, because I love my museum and everyone should come by. :p)

(You probably know more about the butterflies than I do, then! My exhibit has a sloth and he is the main focus of my knowledge in there... as demonstrated in my avatar <-, I'm rather fond of them).

Thanks for the suggestions! About Raleigh, I guess I'm just curious what it's like to live there. What is the city like, what are the people like, what is there to do, and do most people like it? (Sorry I know those are all hard questions to answer)

I'm getting a tour of the school and meeting with one faculty member on Friday. They don't know if I'll be able to meet with any current students though since its Easter weekend :/

Can any current students or accepted students who went to the open house share your opinions on the vet school? How are the faculty? Is there competition among the students? What was the general vibe you got from the school when you visited? Basically any pros and cons you can think of.

Also, if there are any students who decided AGAINST attending NCSU, what were your reasons?

Thanks for the suggestions! About Raleigh, I guess I'm just curious what it's like to live there. What is the city like, what are the people like, what is there to do, and do most people like it? (Sorry I know those are all hard questions to answer)

I'm getting a tour of the school and meeting with one faculty member on Friday. They don't know if I'll be able to meet with any current students though since its Easter weekend :/

Can any current students or accepted students who went to the open house share your opinions on the vet school? How are the faculty? Is there competition among the students? What was the general vibe you got from the school when you visited? Basically any pros and cons you can think of.

Also, if there are any students who decided AGAINST attending NCSU, what were your reasons?

If the admin can't find you someone to talk to, student-wise, I'd be more than happy to either bug my class for someone or chat in person. Heck, if you're still thinking of coming by the museum we could grab an early dinner somewhere afterward and you could pick my brains as much as you want.

I really like Raleigh. The area is pretty commonly listed in top 10 places to live in the US, as we have a pretty booming tech industry, good school system (though we pay our teachers like crap) and not too much crime/traffic/pollution/etc. There's a reasonable nightlife (I know that my classmates that like to go out have a good time!), lots of craft beer (more my jam), good arts/museums/parls in the area, LOTS of races if you're a runner, good variety of classes and events in the area. You can get to the mountains in three hours, the beach in 2.5ish if you like either of those things. If I didn't have a chronic wanderlust I'd probably want to stay here long term... my SO is genuinely sad that I want to drag him somewhere across the country after graduation, haha. People here are probably the strangest thing, because they really run the range from very down-home Southern sweethearts to displaced Northerners. The triangle area and Asheville and definitely a lot more liberal/blue than most of the State, and I sometimes forget I'm still in the South until I see a truck with a confederate flag (or someone calls me hun, haha).

Cons-wise: A lot of people find the summer hot, but I lived in Houston for quite a while and think it's kind of wimpy. :p I know the nightlife is not AMAZING compared to a lot of cities. We have a lot of computer nerds, haha...

Actual school-wise: faculty is like 98% awesome and really want you to succeed. I won't say they're all the best professors/teachers on the planet, but none of them want you to fail out or anything, and everyone is super willing to give extra help if necessary. I think I've talked about the teacher support and student vibe earlier in this thread, actually, so read through the earlier pages for more. In summary, my class is brilliant but pretty chill. The current first years have more than a couple neurotics. It's supposed to alternate, so by history your class should be pretty chill. :p I'll let others who aren't current students give their opinions on the vibe too, though.

My major complaints about the school is that I wish I were on the new, less didactic curriculum they're working on developing, and wish we did block scheduling in general and integrated the clinics in a bit more. The same classes all semester gets old real quick for me, personally, and I'm a very hands-on learner so the lectures all day every day is not the best for me personally. I like that we do surgery early (second year) and PE skills classes, but I just always want more.

I really need to study for my last final, now, though, so if you have any more specific questions send me a PM so I get it in my email - gonna avoid SDN for a while and learn some pathology!

I've decided to go to Wisconsin after all! NCSU is a wonderful school though, and I hope one of you OOS wait listers hear good news soon :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
A lot of downtown raleigh is driven by students and almost all of the students were gone as of Wednesday for Easter! Not trying to change your mind or anything but downtown being dead at night isn't a complaint I almost ever hear. Just an FYI for future pre vets reading this :). I'm one of the only ones left in my entire apartment building cause everyone else is gone haha.

A lot of downtown raleigh is driven by students and almost all of the students were gone as of Wednesday for Easter! Not trying to change your mind or anything but downtown being dead at night isn't a complaint I almost ever hear. Just an FYI for future pre vets reading this :). I'm one of the only ones left in my entire apartment building cause everyone else is gone haha.

That's a very good point :) and it was by no means the deciding factor so future students please don't think that's always the case!

I was taken off the waitlist and offered a spot at NCSU!! Whoooo! Really awesome news...
Even better though is that I decided to go to Virginia tech so hopefully one of y'all gets my spot :) Good luck!

I got offered a seat today. NC state has always been my #1 choice. I've already accepted at UF but seriously reconsidering now.

Can any current students give me an idea about what a typical week is like in the first 3 years. I know clinics do not start til 4th year but is there any hands on experience before that? What is the likelihood of getting in state tuition after the first year? Please any and all info will be helpful because I will be making this decision without seeing the school. HELP! :) Thank you!!

Can any current students give me an idea about what a typical week is like in the first 3 years. I know clinics do not start til 4th year but is there any hands on experience before that? What is the likelihood of getting in state tuition after the first year? Please any and all info will be helpful because I will be making this decision without seeing the school. HELP! :) Thank you!!

Yup! Teaching Animal Unit every semester (with large animals), palpation in anatomy (with dogs) first year, second year has physical exam skills (on dogs) and surgery first year, introductory exotics handling labs (frogs, birds, guinea pigs, rats, ferrets, snakes) second semester. Third year still has TAU and surgery, then more exotics and a clinical-skills focused PE skills. It's never enough (because what would be?), but we definitely get our hands on a lot of animals. :)

Everyone gets IS tuition as long as they don't do something stupid. I think 100% success rate the last couple years?

You should read my post about NCSU in the "factors when picking a school" thread. I just visited last weekend and posted pros and cons on there, some of which might be really useful for you right now!

About tuition, OOS students have had a 100% success rate of gaining IS residency after the first year for the past three years. I saw you've decided on UF, but if you're not a FL resident then I'd think very seriously about accepting at NCSU. You'd save a ton of money and it's a great school!

You should read my post about NCSU in the "factors when picking a school" thread. I just visited last weekend and posted pros and cons on there, some of which might be really useful for you right now!

About tuition, OOS students have had a 100% success rate of gaining IS residency after the first year for the past three years. I saw you've decided on UF, but if you're not a FL resident then I'd think very seriously about accepting at NCSU. You'd save a ton of money and it's a great school!
Thank you I will read that

I am a Florida resident but even as a Florida resident it would be 20-30k cheaper if I went to NCSU

Thank you I will read that

I am a Florida resident but even as a Florida resident it would be 20-30k cheaper if I went to NCSU

Ha, same here! If my choices had been between UF and NCSU, I would've picked NCSU for sure. The IS residency is a HUGE plus. And I liked Raleigh a lot better than Gainesville (then again I've been here for 4 years already so that could just be me) :)

I am literally just days away from closing on a house in Gainesville, and I get this email today about NC State...I wish I had a crystal ball to know what to do.

Does anyone know what the case load is like, specifically the large animal/equine case load

I'm pretty much useless for large animal/equine questions... if you want to give me a list of questions specific to that, I can post them in our class' facebook group and report back answers, though? If that's helpful. If you want to talk more generally about the school, I can answer them here... or could PM you my phone number and we can chat, if you're interested. :)

I'm visiting Raleigh in the next couple days (Thursday-Sunday) to look around and learn more about the internships and residencies they offer. Any recommendations on places to eat and things to do? My sister is coming along for the trip as well.

Last edited:
I'm visiting Raleigh in the next couple days (Thursday-Sunday) to look around and learn more about the internships and residencies they offer. Any recommendations on places to eat and things to do? My sister is coming along for the trip as well.

Go to Poole's! It's a little pricy, but so worth it.

The flea market if the weather is nice. It is at the fairgrounds across the street from the Vet School on the weekend.

Hi everyone,

I was just accepted into NCSU a couple weeks ago! It took me totally by surprise, and I had already accepted a seat at my home state of OSU. But NCSU has become a dream school for me and I've been slowly falling in love with the Carolinas over the past few years (not to mention the $20,000-$30,000 I will save :D ), so I ultimately decided to make North Carolina my new home state.

Because I'm coming so late to the game, I was wondering if anyone could fill me in. I know there will be paperwork and other stuff to deal with in preparation of the start of classes, but I have not received the correspondence asking me to pay my $250 deposit, so I don't know what all I need to do. Could anyone tell me what to be expecting? Do they have any kind of "how to prepare for/survive freshman year" manual in terms of books, supplies, housing, etc.? I know I need my rabies vaccination, but I don't know what other stuff I need to have done medically. I apologize for the bombardment of questions, I just have limited time to get ready and 2 months will go by fast haha.

Also, I'm guessing housing options are pretty well picked over and was wondering if anyone could help. I, my girlfriend, and our dog and cat will be moving down at the start of August, and I'm having a hard time finding a relatively inexpensive place to live that has a first floor (our golden has hip problems and cannot climb a flight of stairs), 2 bedrooms, and is preferentially a townhouse/condo/duplex style (but we will take a first floor apartment if we can't find anything). We are looking at maybe Hunter's Run Apartments, but I am finding some negative reviews which worry me. We also found Oak Hollow Apartment Homes. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking we might have to look a little farther out from the school. How far is too far?

Once again, sorry about the long message, and thanks for all of your help! See you in August!