NECO 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeySh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you are going to NECO, what made you choose the school? I am most probably going to choose NECO as well, but I am still weighing out the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted but unsure at the moment. I'll just post my pros and cons list here so other people can see it as well though all of it won't apply to everyone

NECO
+love Boston
+very nice school
+safe area and in downtown (with Harvard and MIT right across the river)
+college town
+good clinical program
+good NBEO pass rates
+40 satellite clinics
+lots of externships
+all lectures recorded
~pathology in clinic? (this wasn't really emphasized in Boston like in the other schools I interviewed at so i'm not totally sure about this)
-more expensive by ~10,000 over 4 years compared to ICO because of living costs (I estimated this using the numbers on the school sites so it's not an exact number or anything and not really a big deal since it's already costing so much)
-school is a little on the smaller size
-not many practice lanes for labs and have heard they get pretty busy so you have to wait a long time for people to check your work (but have also heard this hasn't been a huge problem when talking to a student I know)
-have to commute to clinic (also true for many other schools)
-no residence (though not many schools have this anyway)
-very short library hours (I hear theres other places around you can go to study though)
-not everyone fits in the lecture room and some have to use the electronic classrooms

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Accepted but unsure at the moment.
-more expensive by ~10,000 over 4 years compared to ICO because of living costs (I estimated this using the numbers on the school sites so it's not an exact number or anything and not the biggest deal since it's already costing so much)

You seem to have a pretty solid thought process going on, so I won't comment much on it but you might find this site helpful! :) http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

Pros
- safe and beautiful city, lots of schools nearby
- guest wifi at any library of any university
- smaller class sizes
- lectures recorded
- lots of optometrist have graduated from Neco in my Canadian area and they don't regret their choice

Cons
- school has no "student life" aspects such as gym
- main clinic is off-campus, it can be a pain in the winter to travel
- no residence, you have to find your own place and its very costly to live near the school
- the labs and the main clinic is very small compared to Salus and Ico
- NEBO rates are okay (they could be higher in my opinion)
- scandal that happened in 2012 (not sure what the exact year was) with NEBO

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user