NECO Hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booklet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm applying this year to several optometry schools in the US but I'm really excited about NECO (the whole package from curriculum to location seems like it would be a nice fit for me). I've been job shadowing at a private optometry practice for about 3 months now and planning on taking the OAT this summer. I'm Canadian and would like to hear from any Canadian students at NECO.

Any advice for a NECO hopeful from Canada?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh...I am in the same situation as you (applying for the 2011 cycle) and I want to go to NECO SO bad! Can anyone who attends NECO discuss it more? the school, campus, curriculum, etc. I read their website all the time, but it would be nice to hear some testimonials...Thanks :)

Hey guys,
I'm currently a 3rd year NECO student (from Canada). I don't know what you guys want as information, but feel free to ask!

The school is great - the location is cool, and the people here are super friendly. Faculty members are very nice and down to earth. It feels very much like one big giant family.

I know that the curriculum has gone through a few changes the past year or so, so I can't really comment too much on that since it will most likely be diferent than what I had. I can say that it was good when I went through it, and the changes that are being made are supposed to improve it even more. Classes are decent, and nothing beats the clinical experience that we get here.

Please feel free to msg if you have any other questions. I don't mind answering them at all :)

Hi guys,

I'm a past canadian club president and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions as well. NECO has a strong cdn presence with 20-25% of the student body, cdn club is in place to ensure we all remain informed on changes that affect the scope of practice in Canada.

eg. we kept all the students informed regarding BC and Alberta's recent decisions to accept NBEO (american boards) as equivalent to cdn boards