Need advice: 3.2 cgpa, 2.9 sgpa. Junior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FT317

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently a junior in undergrad and have a 3.2 cgpa and a 2.8 sgpa. I still have 2 semesters left and my mcat to take. I have a decent amount of ecs with so far over 50 hours shadowing and continuing, volunteer work and i am involved in a few clubs at school. How well do I need to do on my MCAT to even be considered for DO? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

With that sGPA, you're more likely to get wait listed than accepted, even with a stellar MCAT. You must bring t up >3.0. My colleagues on the AdCom frequently say "nice guy/gal, but I'm concerned about that sGPA". And on to the wait list you go and stay. if you're doing poorly in the hard science courses now, how are you going to survive the flood of even harder courses in medical school.

Strongly suggest re-taking any F/D/C science courses.

Shoot for high 20s/ low 30s for MCAT

Hey guys, I am currently a junior in undergrad and have a 3.2 cgpa and a 2.8 sgpa. I still have 2 semesters left and my mcat to take. I have a decent amount of ecs with so far over 50 hours shadowing and continuing, volunteer work and i am involved in a few clubs at school. How well do I need to do on my MCAT to even be considered for DO? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
With that sGPA, you're more likely to get wait listed than accepted, even with a stellar MCAT. You must bring t up >3.0. My colleagues on the AdCom frequently say "nice guy/gal, but I'm concerned about that sGPA". And on to the wait list you go and stay. if you're doing poorly in the hard science courses now, how are you going to survive the flood of even harder courses in medical school.

Strongly suggest re-taking any F/D/C science courses.

Shoot for high 20s/ low 30s for MCAT

What constitutes a "hard science course" in your opinion? Is it something like organic chem, or an upper-div course like neurobioology or biochem? I know this is a pretty subjective question, but my upper-divs may be sprinkled with one or 2 C's but a handful of B's, B+'s and A's as well. As long as the sci-GPA is high, will perfomance in an upper div course be overlooked?

What constitutes a "hard science course" in your opinion? Is it something like organic chem, or an upper-div course like neurobioology or biochem? I know this is a pretty subjective question, but my upper-divs may be sprinkled with one or 2 C's but a handful of B's, B+'s and A's as well. As long as the sci-GPA is high, will perfomance in an upper div course be overlooked?

I think that performance in upper division science courses are never overlooked (particularly in organic chem. & up). Specifically, students with lower grades in basic courses (i.e. General Bio/Chem) but higher grades in upper level courses redeems them to an extent.

Orgo and physics are just weeding courses. Think anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, biochem, physical chem, microbiology, neurobio/neurosci, histology, any pathology, medical genetics, stats, cell bio.

Note that the above looks a lot like a medical school curriculum. Performance in the last two years counts more than those of the first two, because that's when the coursework gets piled on, and you're taking more things that should interest you, AND excelling in them.

Orgo and physics are just weeding courses. Think anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, biochem, physical chem, microbiology, neurobio/neurosci, histology, any pathology, medical genetics, stats, cell bio.

Note that the above looks a lot like a medical school curriculum. Performance in the last two years counts more than those of the first two, because that's when the coursework gets piled on, and you're taking more things that should interest you, AND excelling in them.

This is not always true. Quantum Mechanics is not interesting to me at all, it was basically a requirement for my major. I think its different doing poorly in a class like that than it is in upper bio courses. You don't need to know quantum to be a good doctor. But path, stats, med genetics, etc... yes you would.

Last edited:
I appreciate your input and advice. I will try to retake some science classes and hopefully I kill the MCAT

he doesn't have to think about nursing quite yet. many DOs have GPA cutoffs around 2.8 he will need an MCAT several points above the medians though to have a chance.

That person is a troll. He/she always suggests nursing to everyone who posts in this forum regardless of the circumstances...I think he/she should be banned.

Last edited:
Kinesology is considered a science for D.O. Try that!! :)