Need Advice! 30 yr old mother needing to finish B.S. for Psy.D. in Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erin.S

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, any input would be greatly appreciated. I am a 30 year old mother to two small children. I've only completed 38 units from my previous university in CA for Microbiology. I decided after all this time and life experiences that my true calling is in psychology. Now I need to find a school to finish my B.S. but since we are fairly new to the area (McKinney, TX) I am having a very difficult time figuring out where to go. Also, since I am not straight out of high school I don't have a lot of time to waste especially if I'm ever going to continue on to get my Psy.D which is my end goal (for family/individual therapy, possibly).

I looked into some programs that are online (Capella, Phoenix, Penn State World Campus) for my B.S. in Psychology- besides the cost of the programs, I worry about the reputation of getting my B.S online and then having it come back and haunt me as I tried to get into the graduate programs later on. On the other hand, I don't see myself being able to complete the coursework as quickly if I go the traditional route.

Anyone have any experience with getting their undergrad work done online? I've seen a lot of Graduate Degree's offered online but the Bachelor's doesn't seem to be as popular... I'd rather get the experience of going to school at the higher level (and my kids would be older by then as well), however I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting into a lot of debt out of the gate and then not being able to get into a graduate program later on.

I am really motivated and excited about my future but feel limited on time. I am the main caregiver to my children- 9 years old and 4 years old. They both will be in school starting in the Fall but that's only 8am-3pm. On a side note, the nearest Psy.D program that I know of so far is at Baylor University about 2 hours away.

Please, if anyone can give me some of their own experience or advice it would help me greatly. I've been scouring the internet for ideas and options and am feeling overwhelmed! Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking at a reputable PsyD like Baylor, or a clinically balanced PhD, the online bachelor's will definitely be a hindrance. Additionally, these programs will also want you to have exposure to the process of research, even if it is not a career goal, of which you will not be able to get through an online only curriculum. Have you considered other pathways to what you want? It seems that individual/family therapy is what you want to do, and there are quicker, and more efficient, ways to get there than a doctorate program. MFT, master's, certain social work trajectories.

*If* I went the online Bachelor's route it would only be to knock out that degree and then I would transfer to a Master's program elsewhere. That's what I meant about it coming back to haunt me... The closest universities near me are University North Texas, Texas Women's University, Southwestern, University of Texas, Dallas then Texas A&M is 3 hours away and Baylor. All except Baylor offer the Ph.D program. So I would transfer to either UNT, TWU, Southwestern or UT Dallas for my Master's but wouldn't be able to complete a Psy.D there and would have to apply to either Baylor or somewhere else if I wanted to pursue that degree. It is entirely possible I would stop at a Master's but my heart is really set on a doctorate.
I applied for UNT for the Fall but after realizing they didn't offer a Psy.D program, only a Ph.D. I started looking at my options.
I also saw Collin County Community College offers a Baylor Bound Program where you complete part of your Bachelor's there and the rest at Baylor- but then I would be commuting 2 hours each way to Baylor and back home so that doesn't seem to make sense except that, theoretically, I would be able to get into their program easier over the long term.
Thank you for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be able to earn more money, and I would have more independence and flexibility on what area I would specialize in. I can't say for sure I want to do Marriage and Family Therapy, so I didn't want to paint myself into a corner. I would love to be a licensed psychologist, and as such, living in Texas that requires a doctorate. So an online bachelor's is really a bad idea then.

Baylor used to have an outreach campus in Dallas for degree completion. TWU has a Dallas Campus and accelerated degree completion. Fielding has a Dallas cohort for their PhD Clinical Psychology program. TWU has PhD in Counseling and School Psychology and they have accepted non traditional students in the past with night and Saturday courses. Our Lady of the Lakes has PsyD and they accept non traditional students. They use to have a Dallas Outreach Campus.

I have known friends who had a career in Teaching and had a very high GRE score and were accepted at UTSW PhD Clinical Psychology program during midlife (35-50) in the late 90's early 2000 as they had some sort of Diversity Grant and out of their 12 student cohort 4-5 students met diversity standards.

There may be one of the Illinois PsyD programs branching into Dallas area as they are now in California, Louisiana, and Vancouver.

Dallas Baptist has a BS degree Completion program and they have a MS Counseling Program.

Seems there have been rumors of UT Tyler beginning a PhD Clinical Psychology Program.

I was in my late Forties when I returned to work on my PsyD. It was difficult being a single parent with an Eight-Year old son having special needs. I finished in 2012 and I am fully licensed now.

I was accepted into several PhD programs in Counseling Psychology but I opted to go to a new PsyD Clinical Psychology program since I already had an MS in Counseling Psychology and an EdS in School Psychology. Hind sight being 20/20, I should have gone to the PhD Counseling Psychology program that was APA accredited. At that time, I was working days and needed evening and weekend classes but the PsyD program changed my second year to only having daytime classes as they were beginning the APA accreditation process and they shifted to a model where each cohort takes the same classes together. With all of the recent changes in Psychology, I think it is risky to go to a non APA accredited program.

Last edited:
Hind sight being 20/20, I should have gone to the PhD Counseling Psychology program that was APA accredited. With all of the recent changes in Psychology, I think it is risky to go to a non APA accredited program.
Did anyone see this plot-twist coming? I'm impressed.

With all of the recent changes in Psychology, I think it is risky to go to a non APA accredited program.

What recent changes?

Baylor used to have an outreach campus in Dallas for degree completion. TWU has a Dallas Campus and accelerated degree completion. Fielding has a Dallas cohort for their PhD Clinical Psychology program. TWU has PhD in Counseling and School Psychology and they have accepted non traditional students in the past with night and Saturday courses. Our Lady of the Lakes has PsyD and they accept non traditional students. They use to have a Dallas Outreach Campus.

I have known friends who had a career in Teaching and had a very high GRE score and were accepted at UTSW PhD Clinical Psychology program during midlife (35-50) in the late 90's early 2000 as they had some sort of Diversity Grant and out of their 12 student cohort 4-5 students met diversity standards.

There may be one of the Illinois PsyD programs branching into Dallas area as they are now in California, Louisiana, and Vancouver.

Dallas Baptist has a BS degree Completion program and they have a MS Counseling Program.

Seems there have been rumors of UT Tyler beginning a PhD Clinical Psychology Program.

I was in my late Forties when I returned to work on my PsyD. It was difficult being a single parent with an Eight-Year old son having special needs. I finished in 2012 and I am fully licensed now.

I was accepted into several PhD program in Counseling Psychology but I opted to go to a new PsyD Clinical Psychology program since I already had an MS in Counseling Psychology and an EdS in School Psychology. Hind sight being 20/20, I should have gone to the PhD Counseling Psychology program that was APA accredited. With all of the recent changes in Psychology, I think it is risky to go to a non APA accredited program.

Thank you for the insight into yours and those you know who have had the experience mid-life getting their doctorate! I would only be seeking out accredited programs with the APA. I will look into Our Lady of the Lakes as well. I'm now leaning toward the traditional in-classroom route to finish out my bachelor's and go from there. Like I said in my original post I was feeling overwhelmed with all the information out there and just these few responses have helped me greatly to focus in what I need to do.

Would you go to a surgeon who went to online medical school? No? Neither should a psychologist.

There are tons of online psychology programs. They are junk and outright predatory.

Psychologists have to do a residency program as a requirement for the degree in addition to two years of clinical rotations, in which you have little choice in where you are sent. There are fewer and fewer residencies slots each year. Go to apa and see how many people don't match even from reputable programs. Imagine you are a residency director and are going through 200 applications. Are you going to thoughtfully go through the strengths of someone who went to an online school or are you going to throw away all the online applicants and move onto student who dedicated and changed their lives to pursue the field by? Same for clinical rotations. Same for grad school applicants.

There was a time things were more relaxed. Those times have been over for decades.

If you do a search you'll see stories from the psychologists in the field of commuting 1-2 hrs a day for residency.

Did anyone see this plot-twist coming? I'm impressed.

At the time, 2003-2005, a number of my supervisors were from Clinical Psychology programs and there seemed to be a status differential between Clinical and Counseling Psychology programs. I already had MS in Counseling and EdS in School Psychology. Since I was mid career, it seemed more important to me to obtain the doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology rather than Counseling Psychology.

At the time, 2003-2005, there was no internship imbalance and there seemed to be impression of staff shortages in the field. Not necessarily true in recent times, and it will be difficult for graduates from non APA accredited programs to find a good career path under current guidelines. Additionally, there is a surplus of MS prepared LPC and LMSW individuals in the employee pool taking positions typically held by doctoral level psychologists resulting in further identity diffusion, conflicts, and confusion.

Now that I am licensed, it seems more germane that regulatory authorities need to ensure standards of training mandating all programs need to be APA or APS accredited.
A PhD in Counseling Psychology would have been a better path to reach my goals rather than the PsyD in Clinical Psychology. Additionally, most of my supervisors finished their PhD in Clinical Psychology in the 70's and 80's before many programs were APA accredited and their opinions were that APA accreditation was not important since licensure did not require graduation from an APA accredited program.

Last edited:
If you are looking to go into a Doctorate in Psychology (either PsyD or PhD) I suggest that you try out research first and foremost. These PhD and PsyD usually puts a focus on either balanced clinical practice/research, mostly research mixed with a little clincial work, mostly clinical pratice while also learning how to be consumers of psychological research and doing some research, all research (in which you get clinical experience during internship and/or fellowship) and the horrid all clinical programs (aka the evil professional schools).

For most of these programs you NEED to be comfortable with doing and/or understanding research and statistics. If you do not see yourself liking research/stats at all and/or do not do good in these classes than a PhD (and even the most reputable PsyD programs) program will be hard to get through and may become a waste of investment in the long term.

What I Suggest: if you are the kind of person I desribed above then get either a MA in Counseling or MFT get licensed and practice and then maybe later on get a PhD in Counselor Education or a DMFT/MFT PhD. Or if you do like research and stats then go the PhD/PsyD route.

I'd absolutely stay away from an online degree at any stage of training. It will significantly limit your opportunities.

Consider PhDs in addition to PsyDs. If you aren't, you may not understand the distinction. If you are considering Baylor (a respected PsyD), there is little reason not to consider balanced PhD programs as well.

You didn't give any strong reasons to pursue doctoral-level training in general and it seems there are some significant barriers to you doing so. I'd explore these a little further. The income difference may be negligible and not worth the opportunity cost of an additional 2-4 years out of the workforce, depending on what you eventually settle on doing. This is especially true if you are looking at positions that focus on things like individual psychotherapy. Flexibility may or may not be there, again depending on your actual goals. I'm not necessarily trying to talk you out of a doctorate...but its a HUGE commitment and it makes sense to make sure it is really necessary for your goals before pursuing it, particularly in light of the barriers you have in place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont listen to these hypocritical naysers. Most of them will discourage anyone from becoming a psychologist because for their own selfish egostical self esteem issues. They want an air of exclusivity or superiority to be attached to the profession of pschology and will discourage anyone. Having an online undergrad will be initally frowned on but there are ways to mitigate that. Such as,

1. Attend an online program from a reputable traditional university. Stick away from Waldens, Capella etc.
2. If you choose to attend a Walden, Capella type etc for your undergrad. Ensure you ace the GRE and obtain clinical experience through employment or volunteering.
3. Accept only APA accredited doctoral programs. If you have trouble gaining admissions due to your online degree. Pursue an online masters from an accredited social work program. There are many and then reapply to the doctoral APA accredited programs.
4. Having an online degree will limit you from the Harvards, Upenn and other top tier programs but you will have a chance at mid level programs. At the worst, Free standing professional psychology schools that are APA accredicated such as most Alliant and Argosy programs will be an option to becoming a psychologist for you.

Best of luck.

I'd avoid online programs at all costs right now. It might matter less for other fields but there is a rightful stigma against them now in ours. Also, get research experience.

Dont listen to these hypocritical naysers. Most of them will discourage anyone from becoming a psychologist because for their own selfish egostical self esteem issues. They want an air of exclusivity or superiority to be attached to the profession of pschology and will discourage anyone.

Are you psychotic?

Reactions: 1 user
Um Rational Thought,

I hope you are not calling me a hypocritical naysayers lol. I am just a undergrad who is experiencing with its like in a undergrad program wanting to get into Psych and from what I have learnt from the professionals on here such as erg, Pragma WisNeuro and SmallTownPsych (just to name a few) and also my actual professors is that you need to be comfortable with doing research and be knowledgeable of statistics. If the OP is not comfortable with this then maybe getting a Psych doctorate is not for here and she should then look at other options such as Counseling MFT and also MSW.

To the OP, If you or any others view my post as being hypocritical, egoistical or bad in general please PM and I will either edit it or remove it.

To Rational Thought: Are you a student or a professional, just curious?

Dont listen to these hypocritical naysers. Most of them will discourage anyone from becoming a psychologist because for their own selfish egostical self esteem issues. They want an air of exclusivity or superiority to be attached to the profession of pschology and will discourage anyone. Having an online undergrad will be initally frowned on but there are ways to mitigate that...
Uh-huh....or we care about the field and want to ensure adequate training so as to protect the general public from possible harm.

Reactions: 3 users
Dont listen to these hypocritical naysers. Most of them will discourage anyone from becoming a psychologist because for their own selfish egostical self esteem issues. They want an air of exclusivity or superiority to be attached to the profession of pschology and will discourage anyone. Having an online undergrad will be initally frowned on but there are ways to mitigate that. Such as,

1. Attend an online program from a reputable traditional university. Stick away from Waldens, Capella etc.
2. If you choose to attend a Walden, Capella type etc for your undergrad. Ensure you ace the GRE and obtain clinical experience through employment or volunteering.
3. Accept only APA accredited doctoral programs. If you have trouble gaining admissions due to your online degree. Pursue an online masters from an accredited social work program. There are many and then reapply to the doctoral APA accredited programs.
4. Having an online degree will limit you from the Harvards, Upenn and other top tier programs but you will have a chance at mid level programs. At the worst, Free standing professional psychology schools that are APA accredicated such as most Alliant and Argosy programs will be an option to becoming a psychologist for you.

Best of luck.

All terrible advice, OP.

The online BA/BS is going to be limiting to you not particularly because because it is online (at least if you get it at somewhere like ASU rather than some Capella/Phoenix abomination), but because it doesn't give you easy access to the thing that would get you into a strong program such as Baylor--research lab experience.

I'm confused about why you would identify your goal as a PsyD, but then mention Baylor as your goal. Baylor is not the modal type of PsyD program.

Do differing opinions intimidate you?
Differing opinion is a very very kind interpretation to what you said. You gave a very very dumb response, that could only cause all kinds of issues for the OP.

Uh-huh....or we care about the field and want to ensure adequate training so as to protect the general public from possible harm.

I agree with you on training but remember at the doctorate level which is not online( at least APA accredited programs) that is where most training occurs. Lets not forget that in psychology doctoral programs that many students dont have a psychology undergrad. The undergrad degree is relatively unimportant. Sorry if my oppinions are abrasive they dont mean to offend.

Differing opinion is a very very kind interpretation to what you said. You gave a very very dumb response, that could only cause all kinds of issues for the OP.

The lack of depth in your response fails to acknowledge a differing opinnion. Group think on this board is appalling

Oooohhhhhh, we're giving bad advice. Fun!

You're probably fine to drive. She looks clean, don't worry about safe sex. Retirement accounts are for suckers because you don't know how long you'll live. Buy the fanciest car you can finance. Get a payday loan and then pay it off with another payday loan. Don't talk to your partner. In fact, cheat on them because they might be cheating too. If "one house, one spouse" is great advice, the quadrupling it must be amazing advice. Don't call your mom. You're probably eating too few carbs and fats. Smoke. Insurance is for suckers. The lottery is an excellent retirement plan. Don't ever go to the doctor. Your health will always be this good. A case a day keeps the dr away. Holistic anything is awesome. Get a cell phone belt clip. Chicks dig jorts, flip flops, mullets, and being called "chicks".

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with you on training but remember at the doctorate level which is not online( at least APA accredited programs) that is where most training occurs. Lets not forget that in psychology doctoral programs that many students dont have a psychology undergrad. The undergrad degree is relatively unimportant. Sorry if my oppinions are abrasive they dont mean to offend.
The undergrad degree is important as it pertains to entry into a good program. I'm not opposed to the format for some pedagogy but getting an entire degree online is still a relatively new phenomenon. I'd view it as a huge negative because the likelihood of that student getting adequate mentoring and socialization that would prepare them for doctoral training is probably quite low.

Um Rational Thought,

I hope you are not calling me a hypocritical naysayers lol. I am just a undergrad who is experiencing with its like in a undergrad program wanting to get into Psych and from what I have learnt from the professionals on here such as erg, Pragma WisNeuro and SmallTownPsych (just to name a few) and also my actual professors is that you need to be comfortable with doing research and be knowledgeable of statistics. If the OP is not comfortable with this then maybe getting a Psych doctorate is not for here and she should then look at other options such as Counseling MFT and also MSW.

To the OP, If you or any others view my post as being hypocritical, egoistical or bad in general please PM and I will either edit it or remove it.

To Rational Thought: Are you a student or a professional, just curious?

Young gent, I wish you well on your journey. I am a licensed professional at the Masters level that returned for his doctorate. I am currently at my second praticum at one of the best hospitals in the country. My first praticum was also well placed. If your an academic type, the issues that most posters describe are revelant i.e program prestige, apa match rate, EPP pass rate, research experience etc. In the real world particuraly in large metropolitan areas what matters most is clinicial progress and efficiency. Can you address a client's depression, address the behavioral manifestations of Autism, provide an accurate assessment of a client. I speak only from a clinician point of view not researcher.

Just my thoughts. Good day.

To the OP: If you can get into a well known and reputable online program then that's a good way to go about it. Another way is to see if you could get into a brick and mortar university like Texas A&M or a local state university and see if you can do a hybrid courseload (aka classes at night and some online classes). A lot of my friends at my undergrad program are adults around your age and still maintain a daily job (or in your case taking care of your children) while going 2 or 3 times a week to a night class and do a couple online classes a week. You could definitely graduate in a timely manner that way.

Oooohhhhhh, we're giving bad advice. Fun!

You're probably fine to drive. She looks clean, don't worry about safe sex. Retirement accounts are for suckers because you don't know how long you'll live. Buy the fanciest car you can finance. Get a payday loan and then pay it off with another payday loan. Don't talk to your partner. In fact, cheat on them because they might be cheating too. If "one house, one spouse" is great advice, the quadrupling it must be amazing advice. Don't call your mom. You're probably eating too few carbs and fats. Smoke. Insurance is for suckers. The lottery is an excellent retirement plan. Don't ever go to the doctor. Your health will always be this good. A case a day keeps the dr away. Holistic anything is awesome. Get a cell phone belt clip. Chicks dig jorts, flip flops, mullets, and being called "chicks".

Lol. Do you believe how far you went? Your absurdity is strong.

Young gent, I wish you well on your journey. I am a licensed professional at the Masters level that returned for his doctorate. I am currently at my second praticum at one of the best hospitals in the country. My first praticum was also well placed. If your an academic type, the issues that most posters describe are revelant i.e program prestige, apa match rate, EPP pass rate, research experience etc. In the real world particuraly in large metropolitan areas what matters most is clinicial progress and efficiency. Can you address a client's depression, address the behavioral manifestations of Autism, provide an accurate assessment of a client. I speak only from a clinician point of view not researcher.

Just my thoughts. Good day.

This is where I'd have to sorta agree and disagree. I agree that you need to have practical experience at the doctoral level but I am talking about the undergraduate level. At the Undergrad level, prospective graduate schools usually have a scale where their rate certain aspects of a prospective grad student's application and CV. From what I have heard practical experience is not rated so highly for admission into a graduate school then say a applicant's GRE score, GPA or research experience. So either you misread my post or you are not paying attention to what I am trying to tell the OP about undergraduate education.

Good day to you too Sir.

This is where I'd have to sorta agree and disagree. I agree that you need to have practical experience at the doctoral level but I am talking about the undergraduate level. At the Undergrad level, prospective graduate schools usually have a scale where their rate certain aspects of a prospective grad student's application and CV. From what I have heard practical experience is not rated so highly for admission into a graduate school then say a applicant's GRE score, GPA or research experience. So either you misread my post or you are not paying attention to what I am trying to tell the OP about undergraduate education.

Good day to you too Sir.

Thank you for your oppinion. I greatly appreciate them. I must note that the opp specifically asked about the Psyd which is a more clinical focused degree. In many of these programs clinical research although appreciated is less relevant then clinical experience. Take care

Thank you for your oppinion. I greatly appreciate them. I must note that the opp specifically asked about the Psyd which is a more clinical focused degree. In many of these programs clinical research although appreciated is less relevant then clinical experience. Take care

Ok I do not know where you are getting your facts from. From just a quick search of some of the most reputable PsyD programs (Rutgers, Baylor and Indianna University of PA) only one of the programs directly mention in the admissions requirements prior clinical experience. Now I have not looked at the less reputable programs (i.e. Adler and Chicago School to name a few) so the results may change by including these other programs. I do not see what you mean by your statement. Now I maybe wrong and if I am I accept that I am wrong but from what I heard these three are the programs students who want a PsyD should aspire to get into and ALL of them mention either a ample understanding of research methodology and/or prior research experience.

e52.png

Reactions: 3 users
Oh and another thing, in the case of the OP she will be just going to school most likely and so she will most likely not have any prior clinical experience unless she does a internship or volunteer. So, RationalThought, your point you made does not apply to the OP due to the fact she is most likely on a tight schedule (from what she said) to get her degree and its most likely that she may not have any clinical experience.

Match and Point ;)

Ok I do not know where you are getting your facts from. From just a quick search of some of the most reputable PsyD programs (Rutgers, Baylor and Indianna University of PA) only one of the programs directly mention in the admissions requirements prior clinical experience. Now I have not looked at the less reputable programs (i.e. Adler and Chicago School to name a few) so the results may change by including these other programs. I do not see what you mean by your statement. Now I maybe wrong and if I am I accept that I am wrong but from what I heard these three are the programs students who want a PsyD should aspire to get into and ALL of them mention either a ample understanding of research methodology and/or prior research experience.

Baylor website
If you have had clinically related experience, a letter from your supervisor (e.g. Psychologist) should be included.

In reviewing applications, we look for a combination of academic ability and experience, "clinically related experience", and the personality and social skills conducive to a successful career in professional psychology.

http://www.baylor.edu/psychologyneuroscience/index.php?id=72679

IUP website

1. Overall grade point average (GPA) and grades in psychology courses (3.0 minimum in both areas is preferred)
  2. Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), in particular, the General Test (verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, and analytical writing skills); a combined score of 290 is required for the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning portions of the test. The Subject Test is not required.
  3. Training in research methodology
  4. **********Prior clinical experience in practicum, employment, or volunteer work***********
  5. The applicant's statement of goals
http://www.iup.edu/psychology/grad/clinical-psychology-psyd/admissions/criteria/

I see no direct mention of research experience but understanding of research methodology (which is obtained often through coursework). This is PsyD degree the OP is asking about. I believe we have a genuine difference in my opinions. Which i respect.

Oh and another thing, in the case of the OP she will be just going to school most likely and so she will most likely not have any prior clinical experience unless she does a internship or volunteer. So, RationalThought, your point you made does not apply to the OP due to the fact she is most likely on a tight schedule (from what she said) to get her degree and its most likely that she may not have any clinical experience.

Match and Point ;)

In my post I said;

2. If you choose to attend a Walden, Capella type etc for your undergrad. Ensure you ace the GRE and obtain clinical experience through employment or ****volunteering*****

Now I am just making recommendations. If her schedule does not permit It would make things harder. Many places will accept volunteers at any time (its free labour)

I respect that we do have a different opinion too. Oh and just to make sure I said in my previous comment and/or just to clarify :). Now based off your opinion (since you are a Master's level provider), do you believe that the OP should go for a Master level degree or a PsyD based off of here wanting to do purely therapy (more specially individual/marriage and family therapy)?

P.S. Keep in mind the OP has not mentioned anything about wanting to do assessments on the level of a Psychologist

Without meaningful research experience, the OP's application will not go far at Baylor, or other programs of it's caliber. That is what will be very difficult to achieve without the resources of a brick and mortar institution.

Reactions: 2 users
Without meaningful research experience, the OP's application will not go far at Baylor, or other programs of it's caliber. That is what will be very difficult to achieve without the resources of a brick and mortar institution.

Yes!!! Thanks for the backup WisNeuro! That's why the idea I brought up to the OP about doing night classes and/or online classes at a traditional brick and mortar school will be more beneficial than doing a online education

Thank you for your oppinion. I greatly appreciate them. I must note that the opp specifically asked about the Psyd which is a more clinical focused degree.

This is make believe.

Reactions: 1 users
I respect that we do have a different opinion too. Oh and just to make sure I said in my previous comment and/or just to clarify :). Now based off your opinion (since you are a Master's level provider), do you believe that the OP should go for a Master level degree or a PsyD based off of here wanting to do purely therapy (more specially individual/marriage and family therapy)?

P.S. Keep in mind the OP has not mentioned anything about wanting to do assessments on the level of a Psychologist

You dont need a Psyd to do therapy but I will say after completing my Masters. My therapy competency has improved greatly since i completed most of the coursework for my PsyD. My theoretical knowledge is more in depth. Also, being that i was a working clinician for many years I can tell you the "optical value" of the Psyd and doctor label is very beneficial for those in private pratice. I am not the typical Psyd student though. I made 60k a year as a masters level therapist prior to starting to my Psyd and continue to make 50k as i work partime while i do my studies. Some may say 60k is the average starting salary of a psychologist why complete the degree if you already make that much? Because i know the real value of a psyd and know the business. I know Psyds making 130k PLUS a year right now. Although they dont get benefits like healthcare, retirement etc

Yes!!! Thanks for the backup WisNeuro! That's why the idea I brought up to the OP about doing night classes and/or online classes at a traditional brick and mortar school will be more beneficial than doing a online education

That is what I said also. Perhaps you miss read my statement. I said

"1. Attend an online program from a reputable traditional university. Stick away from Waldens, Capella etc"

I made 60k a year as a masters level therapist prior to starting to my Psyd and continue to make 50k as i work partime while i do my studies. Some may say 60k is the average starting salary of a psychologist why complete the degree if you already make that much? Because i know the real value of a psyd and know the business. I know Psyds making 130k PLUS a year right now. Although they dont get benefits like healthcare, retirement etc
Some of us make that much with all of those benefits. A doctoral degree will raise your ceiling to an extent, but it would be wrong to tell people to expect that amount. Higher paying positions are more competitive. You CAN make a lot by working more, but it depends how much you want to work. I think some people graduate and end up frustrated if their expectations were not informed.

This is make believe.

What is make believe?

I appreciate everyone's opinion as I believe I can learn from anybody no matter their age, stage or credence. It is you with your high handed ignorance and cognitive rigidity that fails to appreciate other view points. The OP that said Psy.D. in Psychology. I will no longer respond to you