Need advice about dealing with euthanasia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LDConsidering

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Tonight I had to euthanize one of my fish.:( Although it was medically necessary, and I used very humane methods I lost it a little. When I say I lost it I mean that I was completely distraught. I have always been sensitive, and a little emotional, but I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction. I have assisted with and witnessed plenty of euthanasias in clinics, and have always been able to deal with it. I didn't think it would be different being the one doing the injecting (so to speak). I guess I am just needing some advice as to what you guys think about this. Does it get easier, or do you just learn to hide it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
Tonight I had to euthanize one of my fish.:( Although it was medically necessary, and I used very humane methods I lost it a little. When I say I lost it I mean that I was completely distraught. I have always been sensitive, and a little emotional, but I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction. I have assisted with and witnessed plenty of euthanasias in clinics, and have always been able to deal with it. I didn't think it would be different being the one doing the injecting (so to speak). I guess I am just needing some advice as to what you guys think about this. Does it get easier, or do you just learn to hide it?

I've found it does get easier, which is something I never quite thought I'd say.

I've only pushed the plunger on a few euthanasia procedures, but assisted or simply held for a few hundred. Luckily only a small percentage of those have been animals I was close to.

The best remedy I've found for euthanasia depression is simply making sure that the animal has the absolute best possible experience during the time it spends with me. That means the lowest possible stress during catheter placement and preparation. If one of the other nurses or the doctor is having a rough day, you do everything you can to make sure that isn't going to project onto the patient. No hard restraint, unless absolutely required. Even making sure that the owner is in the best possible state of mind so that the animal doesn't spend its last minutes picking up the negatives from them. Beyond that, we try and make sure that, if possible, the patient gets one last great day with the family, outside doing the things it loves to do.

Beyond that, you just have to get some distance from it. In the cases where it's something inevitable, and the euthanasia is real mercy, that's a much easier proposition. Convenience euthanasia, on the other hand, is something I've always really struggled with. But the hard fact of that is the reality that the animal is likely going to die regardless of how you personally feel about it, and the folks at the clinic down the road might not do it the way you would. The best thing you can do, in most cases is make sure the animal has the best possible experience on its way out.

Reactions: 2 users
I think DS wrote a really good, thoughtful response.....:thumbup:

Just to add, it is always going to be much more difficult emotionally when your own pet/companion is involved, and there is nothing wrong with that. You need a little detachment as a professional to make sure things go as smoothly as possible... when dealing with your own beloved, I don't think detachment is likely or even healthy.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is a heck of a lot different when you are dealing with the euthanasia of your own animals. I just wanted to say that when I kept fish, I was always very emotional when it was time for one of them to go, especially with my bettas. I wouldn't worry about getting upset. It just shows you have a deep level of compassion towards even the smallest of critters. :).

Sometimes its easier. I have the hardest time when I've either made an emotionally connection with the owners or the animals. I do my very best to keep it together during the procedure and like others said make it as good an experience that you can for the owner and pet. Sometimes I cry when I get home, or shed a few tears outside after the owners have left, sometimes the whole staff is just really quiet for the rest of the evening. One thing that helps me is making the pawprint for the owner. I continue to treat the animal with respect after they have passed and try to make the owners a great pawprint to remember their pet by. It helps me to heal being able to give that one thing back to the owners.

Its ok to feel, especially when its your own pet. I'd be worried if I didnt feel anything at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Sometimes its easier. I have the hardest time when I've either made an emotionally connection with the owners or the animals. I do my very best to keep it together during the procedure and like others said make it as good an experience that you can for the owner and pet. Sometimes I cry when I get home, or shed a few tears outside after the owners have left, sometimes the whole staff is just really quiet for the rest of the evening. One thing that helps me is making the pawprint for the owner. I continue to treat the animal with respect after they have passed and try to make the owners a great pawprint to remember their pet by. It helps me to heal being able to give that one thing back to the owners.

Its ok to feel, especially when its your own pet. I'd be worried if I didnt feel anything at all.

And then you read the Rainbow Bridge and it's ALL OVER!!! :annoyed:

Ugh! I hate The Rainbow Bridge!

Really, though, it's much, much harder when it's your own pet. Don't think that a good euthanasia means you shouldn't grieve for your pet......allow yourself time to grieve, then move forward with good memories.

Sorry for your loss,

Thanks everyone for all of the support and kind words. I'm feeling much better about things today. I know I definitely did the right thing by easing her suffering. Most of my freaking out was due to my husband trying to make a joke when I called him crying last night. He asked me how I was going to be a vet if I couldn't even euth a fish. Ugh I could just smack him for that one! :slap:

It is a heck of a lot different when you are dealing with the euthanasia of your own animals. I just wanted to say that when I kept fish, I was always very emotional when it was time for one of them to go, especially with my bettas. I wouldn't worry about getting upset. It just shows you have a deep level of compassion towards even the smallest of critters. :).

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one getting emotional over my fishies! :)

Thanks again guys and gals!

So I wanna dig up this thread because I did my first euthanasia today. Killdeer chick, too weak to even stand (had soft tissue swelling and a laceration on its left leg...gave him all of the supportive care we could for an 8g bird...). I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can give me insight/opinions on:

1. What emotions/thoughts did you guys experience before/during/after your first euthanasia? I was expecting guilt, but I'm actually kind of blank. I'm reflecting on it a lot and mostly just grateful I could end the little dude's suffering. The worst part for me is watching them slowly go downhill. Is it normal to NOT feel guilty/bad?
2. Switching gears here...what are your thoughts on putting something like this on my application? I feel that saying I was able to euthanize during this internship might show that I'm exposed to one of the major components, for lack of a better term, of vet med. I am also worried it might evoke a negative response, as some might think I have poor judgement since I performed a euthanasia without being a veterinarian first or give bad PR to the company I am currently working for if adcoms feel that I should not be doing euths yet.
3. The rainbow bridge :bigtears:

So I wanna dig up this thread because I did my first euthanasia today. Killdeer chick, too weak to even stand (had soft tissue swelling and a laceration on its left leg...gave him all of the supportive care we could for an 8g bird...). I have a few questions that I'm hoping you guys can give me insight/opinions on:

1. What emotions/thoughts did you guys experience before/during/after your first euthanasia? I was expecting guilt, but I'm actually kind of blank. I'm reflecting on it a lot and mostly just grateful I could end the little dude's suffering. The worst part for me is watching them slowly go downhill. Is it normal to NOT feel guilty/bad?
2. Switching gears here...what are your thoughts on putting something like this on my application? I feel that saying I was able to euthanize during this internship might show that I'm exposed to one of the major components, for lack of a better term, of vet med. I am also worried it might evoke a negative response, as some might think I have poor judgement since I performed a euthanasia without being a veterinarian first or give bad PR to the company I am currently working for if adcoms feel that I should not be doing euths yet.
1. Yes, its normal to not feel guilty or bad and it doesn't change the kind of person you are.

2. Euthanasia is typically CVTs with training or vets only. You could put it as performed euthanasia under the supervision of a vet

Euthanasia absolutely tore me up the first few times it happened at our clinic. The one thing to remember is that you and the team provided the best possible care and treatment for the animal, and that it will experience a death free of suffering. It is definitely important to take stress for client, patient, and staff out of the picture. Also, it is much harder to see a pet you love go through euthanasia. Much, much harder.

1. Yes, its normal to not feel guilty or bad and it doesn't change the kind of person you are.

2. Euthanasia is typically CVTs with training or vets only. You could put it as performed euthanasia under the supervision of a vet
Okay, it was definitely under the supervision of a tech so I will make sure to specify. And I guess I just needed validation that I'm not a weirdo.

Oh hey didn't realize this thread was from 2011. Ignore me :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, it was definitely under the supervision of a tech so I will make sure to specify. And I guess I just needed validation that I'm not a weirdo.
You don't need validation to have the feelings that you have. But yes, it doesn't always make you feel bad or guilty

You're probably a weirdo for other reasons, though.

Validate me, Dyachei, validate me!
grumpy-cat-says-no.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

2. Each state has different laws about who can perform euthanasia. In most cases, if you're not a veterinarian, some type of training is required (e.g. for shelter employees). You might want to doublecheck.

The biggest realization that I have had regarding euthanasia is that it is not a bad thing. Sick/terminally ill/ maimed animals are so unbelievably fortunate that we as humans can end their suffering. Even euthanasia of aggressive animals, fearful, unhappy animals is a gift that we have in veterinarian medicine. It can even be a positive thing in shelter medicine, there is not a suitable home for every adoptable animal and as a human I would rather be dead then placed in solitary confinement in a small cage for years while waiting to be adopted.

Don't think of it as death or an ending, think of euthanasia as easing and happy. However, never stop caring or be afraid to cry.

As far as talking about it in your PS... IMO, I would avoid implying or saying that I was the one who "pushed the plunger"... But say it more along the lines of being involved in this procedure and how it impacted you / your thoughts on euth and its role in Vet Med... I think the bigger point here is that as an applicant you know the place of Euth in vet med and have seen it in practice help ease the suffering of an injured animal. I think that is more important adcoms than this person euth'd an animal before vet school. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
As far as talking about it in your PS... IMO, I would avoid implying or saying that I was the one who "pushed the plunger"... But say it more along the lines of being involved in this procedure and how it impacted you / your thoughts on euth and its role in Vet Med... I think the bigger point here is that as an applicant you know the place of Euth in vet med and have seen it in practice help ease the suffering of an injured animal. I think that is more important adcoms than this person euth'd an animal before vet school. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah I agree with that perspective, rather than using it as a demonstration of my clinical skills. Do you think I should refrain from mentioning it in my experience description? I just don't want it to bite me in the butt.

Yeah I agree with that perspective, rather than using it as a demonstration of my clinical skills. Do you think I should refrain from mentioning it in my experience description? I just don't want it to bite me in the butt.

When describing your clinical experience I would list it as assisting with euthanasias. I did that when I applied and had no issues.

I just thought I would chime in here as this is something I have lots of experience with.

For a little over a year, I worked at an Animal Control Shelter and one of my responsibilities was to euthanize animals. Since this was an animal control facility, this sometimes was the euthanasia of perfectly healthy animals who had nothing wrong with them other than being unwanted. I had to euthanize dozens of underage kittens who came into the shelter without their moms. I would say I probably euthanized around 300 dogs and cats or so.

The very first dog I had to hold for euthanasia was an adorable, sweet, friendly pit bull named Harrison who had nothing whatsoever wrong with him other than being a senior pit in a moderate-kill city run shelter (50% euth rate). I cried, and thought I would never be ok doing it and almost quit that day. I'll never forget that dog. But then I just kept doing it. I went to euthanasia training class and became a Euthanasia Technician, which means I can euthanize shelter animals without supervision of a vet or vet tech.

I found the euthanasia of underage kittens and healthy adoptable animals to be difficult, but not impossible to deal with. You really learn to mentally disconnect, so you don't even really think of it as "killing" something so much as just performing a task or procedure.

My career goal is to be a shelter veterinarian, and I thought it critically important to have experience doing euthanasia and working in a shelter that doesn't have resources for alternate outcomes. I wouldn't want to give advice to shelters that are struggling and have them think, "Well what does she know? She doesn't know what its like".

I will add that after I worked at that particular shelter, I got a job managing another open intake shelter that had a 4% euthanaisa rate.....so just very ill animals and animals unsafe to adopt out. At this shelter, all the dogs were treated to a last meal of McDonalds and I'd euthanize friendly dogs in our play area on pillows after nice long walks (if the dog could). Even our aggressive and dangerous dogs, I'd get fast food last meals and figured out ways to euthanize them that were far more peaceful than what I had seen done previously at the animal control I worked. If you focus on making the experience the least stressful possible for the animal and the most humane experience possible, you feel much better about it. Having euthanized so many healthy animals for lack of home, it really does not phase me emotionally to euthanize sick and suffering animals. I don't feel like I am doing anything I should feel sorry or guilty about when I am relieving an animal of their suffering.

I agree that it's probably best to only talk about this experience in the broader sense as it relates to vet med and not state that you yourself did the euthanasia.

I don't remember the first euthanasia I was involved in but I think I've become pretty desensitized to the whole thing. Mostly because I think that euthanasia is a veterinarian's most precious tool and I think we are so incredibly fortunate to be able to humanely relieve or prevent the suffering of any animal. I can't imagine being able to cope with the prolonged suffering +/- the effects of pain relieving drugs that physicians have to deal with regularly.

I could never be a Veterinarian after reading this thread :(
Kudos to you guys/gals.

I just thought I would chime in here as this is something I have lots of experience with.

For a little over a year, I worked at an Animal Control Shelter and one of my responsibilities was to euthanize animals. Since this was an animal control facility, this sometimes was the euthanasia of perfectly healthy animals who had nothing wrong with them other than being unwanted. I had to euthanize dozens of underage kittens who came into the shelter without their moms. I would say I probably euthanized around 300 dogs and cats or so.

The very first dog I had to hold for euthanasia was an adorable, sweet, friendly pit bull named Harrison who had nothing whatsoever wrong with him other than being a senior pit in a moderate-kill city run shelter (50% euth rate). I cried, and thought I would never be ok doing it and almost quit that day. I'll never forget that dog. But then I just kept doing it. I went to euthanasia training class and became a Euthanasia Technician, which means I can euthanize shelter animals without supervision of a vet or vet tech.

I found the euthanasia of underage kittens and healthy adoptable animals to be difficult, but not impossible to deal with. You really learn to mentally disconnect, so you don't even really think of it as "killing" something so much as just performing a task or procedure.

My career goal is to be a shelter veterinarian, and I thought it critically important to have experience doing euthanasia and working in a shelter that doesn't have resources for alternate outcomes. I wouldn't want to give advice to shelters that are struggling and have them think, "Well what does she know? She doesn't know what its like".

I will add that after I worked at that particular shelter, I got a job managing another open intake shelter that had a 4% euthanaisa rate.....so just very ill animals and animals unsafe to adopt out. At this shelter, all the dogs were treated to a last meal of McDonalds and I'd euthanize friendly dogs in our play area on pillows after nice long walks (if the dog could). Even our aggressive and dangerous dogs, I'd get fast food last meals and figured out ways to euthanize them that were far more peaceful than what I had seen done previously at the animal control I worked. If you focus on making the experience the least stressful possible for the animal and the most humane experience possible, you feel much better about it. Having euthanized so many healthy animals for lack of home, it really does not phase me emotionally to euthanize sick and suffering animals. I don't feel like I am doing anything I should feel sorry or guilty about when I am relieving an animal of their suffering.

*rounds of applause* I do have to say that you shouldn't view euthanasia as a task. Which you have overcome obvious in your management position. I wish all shelters could treat their dogs like that.

I personally have a harder time with the older healthy animals. Someone at some time obviously loved and care for that animal. Juvenile animals haven't experienced that yet. I actually have a cat in my lap who came into work a year ago (our emergency clinic is the after hours drop off for stay animals in our county), he came it as a TINY single stray kitten found in a busy downtown intersection. I took him because it was the middle of kitten season and I was well aware of his fate. I love this little guy. Well actually he is huge now.

...I think that euthanasia is a veterinarian's most precious tool and I think we are so incredibly fortunate to be able to humanely relieve or prevent the suffering of any animal. I can't imagine being able to cope with the prolonged suffering +/- the effects of pain relieving drugs that physicians have to deal with regularly.
This. There are many reasons I don't want to go into human medicine, but one of them is definitely the fact that for terminally ill human patients, there is no option but to keep them as comfortable as possible and wait for nature to take its course. In some cases, that means being so drugged up (or suffering from dementia) that they no longer know what's going on or recognize their family members. I've had family members pass away like that, and it wasn't pretty.

Yes, there are DNR forms, and the option to pull life support, and human medicine is so specialized that there are fields where you wouldn't have to deal much with death. There are also cases both in human and vet med where a patient appears to be on death's door, and then miraculously gets better (or someone steps up to cover the costs of treatment), and you can't help but feel guilty that you almost pulled the plug earlier. Euthanasia can be a tough call, but in most cases it is a gift to end the animal's suffering. I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here, and I don't think I'd ever be comfortable performing convenience euthanasias, but that's my two cents. What saddens me the most in vet med is when the choice comes down to a relatively simple surgery and recovery, or euthanasia purely due to financial reasons.

What saddens me the most in vet med is when the choice comes down to a relatively simple surgery and recovery, or euthanasia purely due to financial reasons.

I thought that would be the thing that bugged me the most, but I'm finding out it's not. If people have financial constraints, they have financial constraints. It's life, it's reality, and it doesn't mean they love their animal any less.

The ones that bug me the most are the ones where the client <won't> put their animal down. The ones where they've got a suffering animal that very clearly isn't going to get better, and the client insists on prolonging it even when there's really nothing left to do to help the animal. Or when the animal is doing poorly and the client mysteriously can't be contacted (because they aren't ready to make a decision, so they go awol). Still their decision and I still have to respect it, but .... those are the ones that make me unhappy.

I thought that would be the thing that bugged me the most, but I'm finding out it's not. If people have financial constraints, they have financial constraints. It's life, it's reality, and it doesn't mean they love their animal any less.

The ones that bug me the most are the ones where the client <won't> put their animal down. The ones where they've got a suffering animal that very clearly isn't going to get better, and the client insists on prolonging it even when there's really nothing left to do to help the animal. Or when the animal is doing poorly and the client mysteriously can't be contacted (because they aren't ready to make a decision, so they go awol). Still their decision and I still have to respect it, but .... those are the ones that make me unhappy.
It is understandable, but it's still very sad. And those kinds of cases bother me too. :/

We had one client that refused to ever euthanize. She had a 14 year old Spinger Spaniel that had multiple health issues and had been doing poorly for some time. When the dog developed cataracts she put it through surgery to remove the cataracts. That surgery was the final blow. I can remember having to go into this dog's kennel every 4 hours to physically lift the dog's head myself to get the eye drops into it's eyes. The dog was so weak it could not life its own head. Its liver (which was already having problems) just gave out and she then passed away the next day. It was so sad to see that dog hooked up to IV's and people pushing medications and continuously dropping stuff into it's eyes as the dog was just lying there dying in a kennel.

Then we had an opposite scenario where a client had a chihuahua with a broken leg. We recommended that amputation would be best but she insisted that she would rather euthanize than amputate as she could not deal with the surgery recovery and the "upkeep and maintenance that comes with surgery". But she was fine trying weekly splint changes and keeping the dog on cage rest (which she never actually kept up with). Of course the leg did not heal with splints, so she was going to euthanize. Dog was a year old, friendly, otherwise healthy. She had no issues with the costs, just that she felt she could not "deal with surgery" even though surgery would have been much easier.

Yes the clients who can not afford treatments and have to euthanize are sad situations. But I can at least understand where they are coming from. And better the pet has a pain-free end to its life rather than suffering from whatever injury or disease condition.

That's how I feel about it too. I'm not bothered by euthanasia because I know it's the best thing for the animal in that situation. If there is no money to pay for necessary treatment, and the choice for the animal is a humane death or prolonged but very poor-quality life, then euthanasia is the best we can do for them. It's much harder for me to see an animal who really should be euthanized but is not.