Need advice about grad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedusaFelix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats for undergrad are fine, and haven't taken MCAT yet but getting good results on practice tests. It's my grad GPA for my MPH that's worrying (3.2). Excuses aside (deciding to work all while medical problems were acting up), how bad would low grad GPA hurt potential applications? I haven't done the calculations, but it might bring down my overall GPA to maybe 3.3 or 3.4.

Is it one of those things I absolutely need to address on a statement? Or is it one of those app killers, since it's something like a downward trend and it's assumed grad grades are inflated? I need to take a post-bacc anyhow to complete required courses, but still...damage too big?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3.2 is fine... 3.3 and 3.4 is fine. Just do good enough on the MCAT. Stop worrying

Reactions: 2 users
Really? Huh, I figured a low grad GPA was an app killer. (My sGPA ends up being 3.22.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Huh, I figured a low grad GPA was an app killer. (My sGPA ends up being 3.22.)

Really not a problem.

Most grad programs that are outside of SMPs or something more intensive, professors expect you to be working/married/whatever at that point in life. Admin won't hold graduate numbers against you.

As sweatshirt said, it really isn't a problem especially when your undergrad sGPA is on par.

Push MCAT to 495-500 and you'll get interview offers.

Reactions: 2 users

I have spoken with admissions reps at top 10 med schools...

Your undergrad GPA and MCAT are what matter. Not everyone gets an MPH so they can't judge your GPA for that across the board.

Your undergrad GPA is what matters and then MCAT - this is the very first hurdle... if you don't cross this hurdle they won't even consider the rest

Now, after you pass that hurdle a grad degree is looked at like an extracurricular activity, unless you were kicked out of the school or have academic dishonestly a low gpa in an extracurricular activity is not going to hurt you...it's like being a member of a club instead of president of a club...

Again, I can't stress enough, no one gives a **** about grad gpa - only undergraduate and then specifically your science GPA... so you would do better to take undergrad courses and get a high undergrad gpa - you are completely and utterly wasting your time being worried about mph gpa

Reactions: 1 user
I strongly agree with Michelest.

I'm working on a second bachelors so it's not the same thing, but they didn't bring up my grades in those classes at all honestly. They only asked me about my grades in science courses/my sGPA from my first Biology degree.