Need advice after dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JYZero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need major advice on reapplying to Optometry school. I was a 2nd yr optometry student at U. Waterloo, but I was dismissed due to academic reasons. Granted, I was dealing with personal issues at the same time, but no way am I going to make any excuses. Would it be possible to transfer OR reapply to an American Optometry school (Don't worry! I'm not planning to steal your future patients away (Unless I'm forced to assimilate)!)

My current stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.20
GPA: 2.898
Cumulative GPA: GPA: 3.109
OAT: To be taken

Is it worth it to even retry Optometry? In hindsight, I should have taken some time off to deal with my personal issues, but at the time, I thought I could handle it. In any case, is this possible to do?

Members don't see this ad.

What does Waterloo say? Are they willing to let you start over?

Unfortunately, I was dismissed after already petitioning and not meeting the circumstances of the petition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need major advice on reapplying to Optometry school. I was a 2nd yr optometry student at U. Waterloo, but I was dismissed due to academic reasons. Granted, I was dealing with personal issues at the same time, but no way am I going to make any excuses. Would it be possible to transfer OR reapply to an American Optometry school (Don't worry! I'm not planning to steal your future patients away (Unless I'm forced to assimilate)!)

My current stats:

Is it worth it to even retry Optometry? In hindsight, I should have taken some time off to deal with my personal issues, but at the time, I thought I could handle it. In any case, is this possible to do?

Hey, first off hang in there; I been down that road before. Life goes on but its tough to see that far when you go through a tough time like dismissal/repeating a year.

Second, if you re-apply to schools in the US, do you have to let them know that you actually attended Waterloo? If they wouldn't know, then I would re-apply to schools in the states, without mentioning your dismissal. Its better they not know, start fresh.

But if they will know or you choose that they know, then tell them you were handling a lot of family stress (deaths, sicknesses, etc) and it was overwhelming at the time but now things are more settled and resolved; and you wish to continue your education.

Lastly, I would think about other health careers (your GPA is not strong enough for MD school), but you may can also apply to Caribbean schools, since you're having to apply anyways.

Best of luck, let us know how you do !

My current stats: