Need Advice (applying late: Optometry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yana-ska

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be finished with pre-req at the end of Fall 2015. Is applying in January for the 2016 entering class too late? With GPA of 3.1

Members don't see this ad.

are u planning to take the oat?
Which schools do u want to apply to?

I am planning to take the OAT in summer 2015 and Fall/winter . My top pick are New England College and Salus.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are applying for the 2016 class then applications open july 1 2016 for you and deadlines for most schools will be around april 2017.
I suggest u take the oat in the summer and submit ur optomcas application in September.

Right now applications are currently open for the 2015 students.

Are you suggesting for the (2016-2017) cycle or (2015-2016) cycle ?

Currently the 2014-2015 applications are open. They will close in June.

If your applying for 2015-2016, then you can access the application in July 2015.

Students usually apply a year before.

Disregard my initial post.

I was confused with the dates.

Okay, but let's say I apply 2015-2016. Do I have to have my OAT score before application process begins? Or does it depend on the school ?For Salus it states that OAT must be taken before June 1 of applying year.

You can send in your application before taking your oat.
Just put the scheduled oat date on your application so the schools can know when your planned oat date is.

Some schools can even invite you for an interview with oat pending and they make final decision once your oat is completed.

Because of the borderline GPA- yes.
Apply as early as possible, since you don't need to have your pre-reqs completed before applying.
As long as you'll have them completed before starting opt. school, you're fine.

Also, schedule your OAT when you can dedicate time to study for it. It's not something you can cram for a few days.
Best of luck