Need Advice/Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalschool???

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I'm will be going into my senior year this fall. For a little background on myself, I am a biology major and a chemistry minor with a fairly high gpa and no DAT (plan to take it this late summer/fall). Shadowing I will have close to 200 hours when I apply. Community service is close to 300 right now with a lot of church volunteering/activities as well as coaching youth basketball, but no research. This past spring semester I had a very difficult and picky professor and I got accused of plagiarism/academic misconduct on a small in-class assignment, which resulted in the lowering of my grade by 1 letter and a C grade. I do admit it was a mistake and a lapse in judgement on the assignment, but the penalty seemed a bit harsh. I am absolutely devastated that it happened and at this point in my education, right before I plan on applying next cycle. I talked to the registrar and the misconduct will not be on my official transcript at all, but will go into a confidential FERPA university recording database. When I go to apply, how will I overcome something like this? When I am filling out my application I plan on explaining this situation and that it was a mistake and how I learned from it and have grown and it will never happen again. I am very worried since I haven't had any problems during my undergraduate education and hope something like this isn't a huge red flag or will prevent me from getting into dental school. I plan on taking a gap year when I graduate in May to get a break from school and work and volunteer a little bit, but I don't know if I should consider a Master's or joining the military reserve to strengthen my application at all. I have wanted to be a dentist since I was young and have worked for years for it. I am literally willing to do anything to become a dentist. I would really appreciate any advice or hear from any student that may have been in a similar situation. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, I'm will be going into my senior year this fall. For a little background on myself, I am a biology major and a chemistry minor with a fairly high gpa and no DAT (plan to take it this late summer/fall). Shadowing I will have close to 200 hours when I apply. Community service is close to 300 right now with a lot of church volunteering/activities as well as coaching youth basketball, but no research. This past spring semester I had a very difficult and picky professor and I got accused of plagiarism/academic misconduct on a small in-class assignment, which resulted in the lowering of my grade by 1 letter and a C grade. I do admit it was a mistake and a lapse in judgement on the assignment, but the penalty seemed a bit harsh. I am absolutely devastated that it happened and at this point in my education, right before I plan on applying next cycle. I talked to the registrar and the misconduct will not be on my official transcript at all, but will go into a confidential FERPA university recording database. When I go to apply, how will I overcome something like this? When I am filling out my application I plan on explaining this situation and that it was a mistake and how I learned from it and have grown and it will never happen again. I am very worried since I haven't had any problems during my undergraduate education and hope something like this isn't a huge red flag or will prevent me from getting into dental school. I plan on taking a gap year when I graduate in May to get a break from school and work and volunteer a little bit, but I don't know if I should consider a Master's or joining the military reserve to strengthen my application at all. I have wanted to be a dentist since I was young and have worked for years for it. I am literally willing to do anything to become a dentist. I would really appreciate any advice or hear from any student that may have been in a similar situation. Thanks.
If your misconduct is in some sort of database, you'll have to state it on your application. I think there's a spot where you can explain what happened. Taking extra schooling or going the military route just to overcome a simple misconduct record is excessive. I'd focus on doing well on the DAT and if you apply/get interviews, just be prepared to explain yourself.

If your misconduct is in some sort of database, you'll have to state it on your application. I think there's a spot where you can explain what happened. Taking extra schooling or going the military route just to overcome a simple misconduct record is excessive. I'd focus on doing well on the DAT and if you apply/get interviews, just be prepared to explain yourself.

I agree that you'll have to state it. I had to write something on my app too zzzzzzzzz
i will let you know how it goes

btw that gochu brought me here

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you'll have to state it. I had to write something on my app too zzzzzzzzz
i will let you know how it goes

btw that gochu brought me here

Thank you for your comment. May I ask the severity of it?

Maybe getting a letter from the class professor to say that it happened, maybe he would be willing to say although he had this slip up, you aren't a bad person. That might hold A LOT of weight as the person who caught you could maybe return some credibility. But if I were you own it!!! Admit the fault with out hesitation, i agree no one thing should define a person, but it can.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe getting a letter from the class professor to say that it happened, maybe he would be willing to say although he had this slip up, you aren't a bad person. That might hold A LOT of weight as the person who caught you could maybe return some credibility. But if I were you own it!!! Admit the fault with out hesitation, i agree no one thing should define a person, but it can.

A letter is not possible as they have left the university and I have no contact with them. Thanks for your advice. Any other help on chances?

Academic integrity is a big deal and it ties into your character. My wife's uncle is on Adcom for PT school in the Midwest and they view academic integrity charges very seriously. Things like illegally pirating movies/music, and even a case of shoplifting as a young person is not viewed as harshly as cheating at school. So I think it does hurt your chances a bit as it may make them question your overall grades (was it just once class/assignment) or multiple and you were only caught for one? Best thing is to be honest from the get go. If you rock the DAT and are an honest person, and only you know that, it all depends on the interview.

Can anybody offer any additional suggestions/chances on getting into dental school this upcoming semester? I'd really appreciate some advice/support. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't read all the replies, but I can tell you that my school personally won't look at a C as bad at all. If you have done well in all your other classes they will view a C as showing that you didn't give up regardless of how hard the class was. They would rather see a C than a W. honestly if you have a high GPA the C will be completely overlooked. It's getting multiple C's that becomes a red flag. NOt sure about academic misconduct but I'd work my ass off to get it off my record. Talk to the dean of the school and express your desires for dental school and let them know it will most likely ruin your chances of bring accepted. Push that there is no proof that the professor caught you cheating ( or whatever the case was). Fight hard to make it disappear. If it is some how on your record and dental schools can see it, be very prepared to explain the situation BUT BE HONEST !!! say you learned from your mistakes ( if that's the case) they will respect you more

Last edited:
I didn't read all the replies, but I can tell you that my school personally won't look at a C as bad at all. If you have done well in all your other classes they will view a C as showing that you didn't give up regardless of how hard the class was. They would rather see a C than a W. honestly if you have a high GPA the C will be completely overlooked. It's getting multiple C's that becomes a red flag. NOt sure about academic misconduct but I'd work my ass off to get it off my record. Talk to the dean of the school and express your desires for dental school and let them know it will most likely ruin your chances of bring accepted. Push that there is no proof that the professor caught you cheating ( or whatever the case was). Fight hard to make it disappear. If it is some how on your record and dental schools can see it, be very prepared to explain the situation BUT BE HONEST !!! say you learned from your mistakes ( if that's the case) they will respect you more

It is in the university's database so I will have to disclose it on my application. What kind of chances do I have at any dental school? What DAT score do I need to get? Thanks for your reply.

Aim for a DAT score of 19 or higher. Given your situation you really need 20 or higher. I'm not sure what your GPA is, but competitive is 3.6 or higher. the lower the GPA the Higher your DAT will will need to be. You need to bust your ass to try to get that off your record tho. If you can't be prepared to tell them in an interview that you were just young, dumb, made a mistake and that you learned a hard lesson. Could it prevent you from getting in your first try? Possibly but I think if you have good scores and your honest with them ( if they even ask) then you have a chance of getting in.

Aim for a DAT score of 19 or higher. Given your situation you really need 20 or higher. I'm not sure what your GPA is, but competitive is 3.6 or higher. the lower the GPA the Higher your DAT will will need to be. You need to bust your ass to try to get that off your record tho. If you can't be prepared to tell them in an interview that you were just young, dumb, made a mistake and that you learned a hard lesson. Could it prevent you from getting in your first try? Possibly but I think if you have good scores and your honest with them ( if they even ask) then you have a chance of getting in.

GPA is close to a 3.9 with decent EC. I plan on applying all over so would I have a decent shot at schools like LECOM, Touro, USC, MW-AZ, NYU, UNE, etc.?

Reactions: 1 user
GPA is close to a 3.9 with decent EC. I plan on applying all over so would I have a decent shot at schools like LECOM, Touro, USC, MW-AZ, NYU, UNE, etc.?

You'll be fine with a 19+ at that GPA but if I were you, I would aim for a 22+. I say this because it will open up your opportunities for cheaper schools and will also give you the chance to receive hefty scholarships that could reduce the price of otherwise very expensive schools

You have a GREAT chance at your state schools. Your high GPA shows you didn't need a test to prove you know the material, you knew it at school and put in effort, a 3.9 is tough to get.

Roseman may be a school to look into, Marquette may be a place. I think someone said they like to see higher GPAs. I was complemented on mine when I went to interview

Make sure you ace the DAT and get a decent Eac list. Not everyone with a 4.0 gets in.

You have a GREAT chance at your state schools. Your high GPA shows you didn't need a test to prove you know the material, you knew it at school and put in effort, a 3.9 is tough to get.

Roseman may be a school to look into, Marquette may be a place. I think someone said they like to see higher GPAs. I was complemented on mine when I went to interview

Do I have a decent chance at lower level schools, possibly such as LECOM, UNE, Touro, etc. even with my issue of plagiarism?

Do I have a decent chance at lower level schools, possibly such as LECOM, UNE, Touro, etc. even with my issue of plagiarism?

Academic integrity issues aren't very easily overlooked by any school, but I wouldn't rule applications to any school out; apply as broadly as possible, because schools can surprise you. For example, LECOM specifically asked ethics questions Involving cheating, but UF and other "more established" schools didn't. So don't assume you don't have a shot at any given school.

I read above that a letter from the professor wasn't possible, but getting your department committee or someone to address it and praise you despite it could be HUGE.

The C isn't a big deal at all; I've had professors fail classmates for plagiarism (and know a grad student who got completely kicked out of her school (not my school)), so this is honestly really good news that it was clearly no more severe than dropping a single letter grade. :) even though it feels drastic and obviously is very frustrating for you, I vote that this is very salvageable, but you'll need to apply with superior letters of recommendation and save up money to apply to as many schools as you can.

Any hope please? What type of DAT score do I need?

And for DAT, as high as possible of course, but I suggest no lower than a 21 AA. If you don't do very well on the DAT, it can make adcoms question if your excellent GPA was earned fairly. I don't want that to come off as rude, but I honestly think it would be questioned if you had a very above average GPA and only an average DAT. So make aceing this test your absolute priority! Match it with those letters and some great ECs, and you should really be okay.

Can someone please provide any opinions or feedback. I will be graduating in May with about a 3.9 gpa in biology. Haven't taken DAT yet will take it in June. What are my chances?

Can someone please provide any opinions or feedback. I will be graduating in May with about a 3.9 gpa in biology. Haven't taken DAT yet will take it in June. What are my chances?

No one can give you a definite answer here apart from an adcom. Any other person though will tell you to shoot for a stellar DAT score and to apply broadly. Just put your all into every step through the application process and know that you did everything you possibly could no matter what. Pray, knock on wood, cross your fingers, or whatever your go-to solace is and hope for the best. Good luck