Need advice-complicated-gf doesn't quite get it

bumblebee611

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I'm doing this, but here goes. I preface this by saying I don't want to start any sort of flame war, but perhaps that makes no difference.

I'm a substantially older, nontrad M1--a divorced mom, and have been dating someone new for a few months. We're generally really good to each other. It's only been a few months, but at our age, I think it's reasonable to know in a few months what sort of relationship is worth working on. Here's the problem: she has a lot less formal education than I do. Her ex (domestic partnership before same sex marriage, homeownership together) was an NP. The NP ex is highly respected in our community and is a bit older than us, so the NP ex was experienced and well-established before they met. She still has lots of love and admiration for her ex, and that's fine by me.

BUT, this has led, in my view, to her having a distorted take on what it means to be an NP, what it means to be a physician, what training is like, why you might want to see a physician rather than an NP for certain problems, and so on. She's gone so far as to say that doctors only want to be doctors because they're egomaniacs and that she basically doesn't want to see a doctor for anything etc. Needless to say, it's pretty hurtful to me with the challenge I am taking on right now. I'd have no problem with saying, "Hey, that bit about egomaniacs was hurtful to me, I understand that you still love [ex] and she's a special person, but that remark wasn't fair to me or the many wonderful and giving physicians I have known." What I want to know, though, is how to approach educating her about the general difference between the professions in a way that isn't hostile, disrespectful, etc., and most importantly, that is persuasive. We're old enough that some serious health issue isn't wildly unlikely, and I'd hate for her to have something like that missed because she resisted seeing a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would let her know when she hurts your feelings. I would not try to educate her in any direct way. She'll be defensive and it will just create strife. Maybe she'll see, by being with you as you study and learn, the difference. Maybe she won't, and will always prefer to see an NP over an MD. That's okay. Making you feel bad is not okay. Making you feel anything less than supported and respected will not make for a good/healthy/lasting relationship.

"Hey, I get that you have some strong opinions about doctors but I'm going to be one. You can either speak in a civil manner about my cohort or we can simply never discuss the np/doctor stuff. Your pick, but those are the only two options"

She's a short term girlfriend, your don't have to put up with anything

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would let her know when she hurts your feelings. I would not try to educate her in any direct way. She'll be defensive and it will just create strife. Maybe she'll see, by being with you as you study and learn, the difference. Maybe she won't, and will always prefer to see an NP over an MD. That's okay. Making you feel bad is not okay. Making you feel anything less than supported and respected will not make for a good/healthy/lasting relationship.
You're right--either we'll be together long enough for her to someday get the difference, or we won't be, and there is no point in trying to persuade her in a more general way. Maybe the question is, have any other folks gotten past this kind of thing? Perhaps on some level I AM an egomaniac and I need to be with someone who recognizes the 20K hours difference in education and training or whatever it is for primary care docs v. NPs. Sigh.

Sigh, I'm really sorry you are going through this. I second the advice about sticking to how her words hurt you and not making it about the np vs doctor thing.

Sigh, I'm really sorry you are going through this. I second the advice about sticking to how her words hurt you and not making it about the np vs doctor thing.
@VenusinFurs, thanks for the kind words. I did actually do that and we've been fine, but now we're going downhill because it's becoming increasingly clear to me that she has what one of my friends referred to as "class ****," i.e. a real chip on her shoulder about those who have grown up more comfortably or whom she assumes has ... this would of course include many of my friends and future colleagues. We have to have a heart to heart about this and she can either acknowledge her issue (which I now think is the source of the NP v. doctor nonsense), and we can move forward, or I need to throw in the towel. Waiting till finals in a couple of weeks, though. :shrug:

Rocky.%2BThrow%2Bthe%2Btowel.gif

Reactions: 1 user