Need advice---dating as a foreign guy

Being aware of one's surroundings and taking measures to avoid being the victim of a crime are important - I don't argue that. But the whole idea that it is the purely the woman's responsibility to prevent her own rape is just...ugh. I think equally important to educating my daughter about the potential risks of heavy drinking (even aside from the possibility of rape) is educating my son to be a respectful human being who would not take advantage of a woman in that situation. The responsibility of preventing rape, sexual assault and crimes in general does not lie with one gender, but with society as a whole.
Yes.

But you don`t control society, nor do I. There will always be murderers and rapists, in every part of this world.

So of course you educate your son and daughter, but how do you ensure they will listen AND not be a victim (in the case of rape, male victims are almost nonexistent in statistical comparison to female victims) or an attacker..
You teaching your daughter about heavy drinking will do very little to impact what she does, if she is in such a setting where she`s drunk around men, there`s always a solid risk of rape.
Educating your son to not do such a thing is quite a bit easier. It doesn`t take a willing effort to get raped, but it does take one to go ahead and rape. The former will not be prevented by your teaching while the latter will be.

But honestly, what do you suggest girls to do then, just accept the risks, get raped eventually, then have the guy charged etc. Or do you think it`s best to not be in such riskier settings (and don`t forget when someone`s a bit drunk, their common sense is out the window and the tendency to get plastered drunk skyrockets).

Members don't see this ad.

I disagree with this. You don't need to be talking to someone for hours to get her number. As a matter of fact you will come across even more creepy and desperate if you keep talking to the same girl the whole night and abandon your friends in the process. Unless you're talking her home short conversation is usually enough to get her number if she is digging you. The more you talk to her the higher the chance of you coming off weird/foreign. Besides you can't put all your eggs in one basket so spending less time with one girl allows you to move on to the next one and get several numbers in one night.

Also, first impressions are everything. In the first minute a girl will make up her mind if she likes you enough physically and once that happens all you can do is mess it up. Most normal grown women will have no problem going out to the restaurant with you if they find you attractive.Some college girls may not like these types of dates so with them you just meet out in the bars or clubs.

Lastly, try to get physical with her sooner rather than later otherwise you will end up friendzoned. Any girl if she likes you will be cool with it. If she is conservative she will push you back a little bit. If she is not cool with you showing her that you want her then you just need to move on to the next one.

Your must be a guy...you have no idea how women think..lol!!!

Most of what you are saying sounds like the way guys think...wow...I am so amazed I can't even begin to explain how off your comments about a woman's perspective are!!!

Last edited:
And I also make efforts to go to events hosted by other people of my age. But I noticed most of those events are centered around alcohol (e.g. parties, bars, dancing club, pub crawls, wine tasting.... and it's quite common to see a guy buy a drink for a girl to start a conversation), I don't drink alcohol at all and feel ashamed to buy other people a drink. Although I still go to those events, but always wondering that if they are the right person that I should hang out with (alcohol is a proven health hazard and frequent alcohol consumption is a sign to me that this person is not taking responsibility of his/her health, let alone being responsible for others).
And in a broader aspect, I feel that I don't fit in any social circle here (I have been in the U.S. for 1.5 years). Resident colleagues don't accept me because of the age gap (and most of them are married and have no time for social activity), medical students don't accept me because they think I am a senior resident (and they are also busy and have their own circle), people outside the hospital don't accept me because they have already established their social circle through classmates from kindergarden to college, and I have very little in common with those people (for example some songs and movies are well-known to most of them and I have never heard of). Everyone is "friendly" and polite to me, but keep a distance from me. Meanwhile, I intentionally avoid people from my home country as I feel that I will never be accepted by local society if I spend significant amount of time with people from homeland, while at the same time I have no idea how long is the road ahead of me to be assimilated into local society and how painful the process will be especially given the fact that I came here at a relatively older age (unlike SunsFun who came here in high school when kids are still very honest and tell you what they really think of you).
Sorry if it sounds like complaints. But before I came to the U.S., I have never made any effort to meet girls (or meet people in general) as they always take initiative. So unfortunately I barely have any experience with this.

Consider hanging out with people from your country who also seem to hang out with "Americans" they may give you some tips on how to integrate and may also introduce you to "American" friends who may be open to learning about your culture.

Don't give up on inviting the girls to group events...remember most women need time to get comfortable...be persistent yet polite...in time you will meet someone who is open to getting to know you.

Consider asking your married friends to invite you to dinners or parties that they host...one of your co-residents is bound to invite a single sister in law to a Christmas...New Years ect party.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Great suggestions! Did not realize that before.
When I organize a group activity, should I text/email/call the girl individually when I invite her (but also tell her that other people are coming as well)? Is that too much pressure for her? Or actually girls like this way as that means I am interested in her? Or should I just post it, for example, on the website of meetup groups or my facebook, so she will feel that she is just one of my guests and does not feel too much pressure?

You can do Facebook events or email for girls you don't know so well.

Depending on how comfortable the girl appears to be with you and if she shows up to the events I suggest calling her rather than texting or email for a formal date.

Your must be a guy...you have no idea how women think..lol!!!

Most of what you are saying sounds like the way guys think...wow...I am so amazed I can't even begin to explain how off your comments about a woman's perspective are!!!
And how do exactly women think? I don't subscribe to the ideas that a) all women think the same b) rules that apply to people in general don't apply to women. There is a wealth of research showing how important first impression is if you don't want to take my word for it. It is often the most important factor.

Consider hanging out with people from your country who also seem to hang out with "Americans" they may give you some tips on how to integrate and may also introduce you to "American" friends who may be open to learning about your culture.

Don't give up on inviting the girls to group events...remember most women need time to get comfortable...be persistent yet polite...in time you will meet someone who is open to getting to know you.

Consider asking your married friends to invite you to dinners or parties that they host...one of your co-residents is bound to invite a single sister in law to a Christmas...New Years ect party.
This is not gonna get him anywhere. It's not like he has an unlimited supply of women he is interested in to keep inviting them. It's all the same women. If girl didn't show up several times before -she is not going to come. Expecting a different outcome is a waste of time. Same goes for his friends. There aren't enough new women for him to chose from.

OP, the easiest way to meet women in America is going out to bars and clubs on Friday and Saturday night. This is no secret either. Not many guys would wanna go to those high end places and pay for overpriced drinks if their odds of meeting women weren't improving. Although there is a lot of competition, I can't think of a better place to find somebody for a young professional like you.

I totally agree with you on this point. I especially like "be persistent yet polite".
However, I recently developed a hypothesis to explain the rationale behind the strategy you recommended, please tell me if you agree:
Since women care more about her partner's social economical status than men, they are trying to find some one who is reliable and dependable. Then the question is: who is more reliable and dependable? The ones they are familiar with (with positive impression)
So your strategy is to let the girl getting more familiar with me in a non-negative way.
And I think it also explains why many girls do not prefer ethnic minority or foreigner: because they are unfamiliar with them, so they don't know if they are reliable or not.
As a result, I need to work against this disadvantage and create whatever opportunity to market myself.

This is not gonna get him anywhere. It's not like he has an unlimited supply of women he is interested in to keep inviting them. It's all the same women. If girl didn't show up several times before -she is not going to come. Expecting a different outcome is a waste of time. Same goes for his friends. There aren't enough new women for him to chose from.

OP, the easiest way to meet women in America is going out to bars and clubs on Friday and Saturday night. This is no secret either. Not many guys would wanna go to those high end places and pay for overpriced drinks if their odds of meeting women weren't improving. Although there is a lot of competition, I can't think of a better place to find somebody for a young professional like you.
Sunsfun, I appreciate your suggestions and it is especially valuable to me as we are in the same age (based on your previous thread). And I don't think that your point contradict with Staryy. You are telling me to get to know as many girls as possible. She is telling me to get as familiar with the girls I know as possible. I need to do both.
One thing that I still don't understand: how can you talk to girl you don't know in a bar? And since I am looking for a more educated girl, is bar/club a good place to find them? I thought it is a place for less educated/achieved girls to kill their time and get some short term relationship. And by paying for drinks, is that going to attract gold diggers only?

Last edited:
The problem with SunsFun's advice is that it is well-intentioned (in a way), but it's not going to work for you. It is a description of how young people date or "hook up" (meaning, have one-night stands) in America: go out to bars and clubs on Friday and Saturday night, get drunk, hit on drunk girls aggressively and ignore any which don't respond, find yourself in some stranger's bed the next morning. That's not how most people meet their long-term partners. That's the phase people go through before they meet their long-term partners, which they subsequently rationalize as "that was when I was young, so it doesn't count and you can't judge me for what I did then." What you should know is that SunsFun is an advocate for that type of lifestyle/behavior and it doesn't sound compatible with your background or values, particularly if you're not into alcohol or irresponsible behavior. Even if it "worked," you'd hardly be happy with some woman whose idea of fun was getting drunk at a bar and her background was that she had one-night stands up until she met you.

That's why Staryy also disagreed with SunsFun. It's basically "pick up artist" advice where you're just trying to score (have sex) with not much regard for anything else. There's nothing "creepy" about finding one woman and spending most of the evening talking to her. Now, I'm admittedly the total opposite of an experienced dater, so take my advice with a grain of salt if you want, but what I do have going for me is that I share most of the same attitudes as you, so I know how you would react. If you told me that I could go to a nearby bar and guarantee that I could score off some drunken woman right now, I'd be totally uninterested. Who wants some cheap ho that anyone can get if they just give her a few drinks? Nobody. That's why guys don't marry that woman.

Sunsfun, I appreciate your suggestions and it is especially valuable to me as we are in the same age (based on your previous thread). And I don't think that your point contradict with Staryy. You are telling me to get to know as many girls as possible. She is telling me to get as familiar with the girls I know as possible. I need to do both.
One thing that I still don't understand: how can you talk to girl you don't know in a bar? And since I am looking for a more educated girl, is bar/club a good place to find them? I thought it is a place for less educated/achieved girls to kill their time and get some short term relationship. And by paying for drinks, is that going to attract gold diggers only?
To speak with a girl at the bar you just need to friendly, bold, and not afraid to take the initiative. Just come and say hi. Ask her how is she doing and where is she from. If you get one word responses and she is not asking you any questions - she is not interested. Move on. You don't need to be funny, dress crazy, or act macho. Just be honest and open and not shy about the fact that she caught your attention. The beauty of meeting a woman out is that you make it clear that you are interested I her not to be friends but for more and if she is not cool with it she will not waste your time where as in other setting a lot of girls will discount you as a friend.

The biggest myth perpetuated by guy who are unable to attract women out is that all the girls you can meet at a bar club are uneducated and trashy. The truth is most women like to go out. They like to dance, hang out with friends, meet up with their guyfriends, etc. There are all kind of bars, clubs, and lounges out there. Some are very exclusive and expensive and some are very laid back. Different type of women go to different places so depending on what you are looking for, you may need to find the right place to go to. The places I go to have plenty of women who are physicians, PhDs, business owners, lawyers, etc. So they are certainly educated. Also, lately I have seen many women wearing hijab (Islamic covering) so many women are most definitely socially conservative. Also, many (if not most) relationship in America start out as purely physical thing. Many women are much more likely to date a guy they find attractive and have a thing for then some random dude with a good personality and a great career outlook. It doesn't mean that a girl will sleep with you right away but a rule of thumb I use is that if I haven't kissed her on out first date - I move on. This works for very conservative women as well. Some guys get an idea that a good serious girl will not kiss and will be turned off by the guy who tries to kiss her. This is false. She will be turned off by the guy who never tries and will move him into the friendzone.

The reason you hear so many guys say that there is no way you can meet a good girl out is most likely because they are jealous and want to make excuses for themselves when they see other guys being successful. Long time ago I was like this too. I would see a guy who meet a girl at the club and got her number and assumed she was trashy because "good girl would not do this". The truth is that it was nothing more than just a defense mechanism I developed to protect self-esteem. Once you get out there and meet more women you will understand that trashy women is more of an exception especially if you go out to the right places.

If you told me that I could go to a nearby bar and guarantee that I could score off some drunken woman right now, I'd be totally uninterested. Who wants some cheap ho that anyone can get if they just give her a few drinks? Nobody. That's why guys don't marry that woman.
Nobody is advocating picking up drunk women and bringing them home for sex that same night. I was speaking about meeting someone new and getting her number to possibly go out on a date.

Also your perception of women who go out is very wrong. You can't just get "some cheap ho" by giving her a few drinks. I am willing to bet money that you will not be able to go out there and get an attractive woman to go home with me after giving her a couple of drinks. This is not how it happens and it will not happen even if that girl is an exotic dancer and routinely goes home with different men. Unless you actually pay her for sex, you will not pull that off. Overwhelming majority of men, even those who want sex only, go home alone night after night because even girls you consider easy are not as easy as you think they are. Something tells me that with zero experience attracting good-looking women your chances of finding one to take home will be close to zero.

Members don't see this ad :)
He wasn't saying that was easy or common. He was saying that if someone told him he could do that, he'd be uninterested.

Right. It's absolutely true that, as SunsFun said, "most women like to go out." But, for example, the women who were in my med school class who went out would basically form this tight circle of defense and repel anyone who tried to get near. Yeah, you can say they had to meet their husbands somewhere, but I'd be willing to bet you that they didn't meet them on a Friday or Saturday night at some bar. Most people don't. So if this guy just wants a shot at a one-night stand or quick relationship, then absolutely go for a bar or club. I'm not saying that just because he shows up there that he'll get lucky, I'm saying that the odds are that if he does get lucky, it'll be with someone he's not looking for, values-wise.

Relationship advice isn't cookie cutter. There were a lot of shy, nerdy, wall-flower types in my class, for example, who never went out to bars or class parties. If you just threw them into a bar, they'd be extremely uncomfortable and just hang in some corner. The OP isn't into alcohol and doesn't have a great view of people who does, so why would he go to a bar to meet a woman? That's all I'm saying.

Right. It's absolutely true that, as SunsFun said, "most women like to go out." But, for example, the women who were in my med school class who went out would basically form this tight circle of defense and repel anyone who tried to get near. Yeah, you can say they had to meet their husbands somewhere, but I'd be willing to bet you that they didn't meet them on a Friday or Saturday night at some bar. Most people don't. So if this guy just wants a shot at a one-night stand or quick relationship, then absolutely go for a bar or club. I'm not saying that just because he shows up there that he'll get lucky, I'm saying that the odds are that if he does get lucky, it'll be with someone he's not looking for, values-wise.

Relationship advice isn't cookie cutter. There were a lot of shy, nerdy, wall-flower types in my class, for example, who never went out to bars or class parties. If you just threw them into a bar, they'd be extremely uncomfortable and just hang in some corner. The OP isn't into alcohol and doesn't have a great view of people who does, so why would he go to a bar to meet a woman? That's all I'm saying.
We might be going to different types of places but where I've been there are plenty of more serous girls mingling with people. Also, I don't like to go out to places where there are too many college kids or guys are too aggressive. The wall you're talking about usually happens there. If the club or a bar (high end lounge ;-)) sets up a good environment, women are not as defensive. I think OP will maximize his chances in this type of place if there are any in his area.

I understand that there are some women who do not go out/are shy but I don't see why OP should be thinking about them. If all they do is hang out home and only go out to familiar places with a tight circle of very close friends, OP is not likely to interact with any in a first place or get anywhere even if he somehow gets introduced to one. But I guess he could take some classes (dancing, cooking) or join clubs to meet someone who is more shy and doesn't go out. My guess is that he will still come across and be able to talk more to outgoing people rather than someone reclusive.

Edit: I realize him not drinking and not liking people who drink may be an obstacle but at this point I serous doubt he has that many other options. I mean he can't just keep inviting girls to these socials if nobody is showing up or keep asking some married people to hook him up.

Last edited:
To speak with a girl at the bar you just need to friendly, bold, and not afraid to take the initiative. Just come and say hi. Ask her how is she doing and where is she from. If you get one word responses and she is not asking you any questions - she is not interested. Move on. You don't need to be funny, dress crazy, or act macho. Just be honest and open and not shy about the fact that she caught your attention. The beauty of meeting a woman out is that you make it clear that you are interested I her not to be friends but for more and if she is not cool with it she will not waste your time where as in other setting a lot of girls will discount you as a friend.

The biggest myth perpetuated by guy who are unable to attract women out is that all the girls you can meet at a bar club are uneducated and trashy. The truth is most women like to go out. They like to dance, hang out with friends, meet up with their guyfriends, etc. There are all kind of bars, clubs, and lounges out there. Some are very exclusive and expensive and some are very laid back. Different type of women go to different places so depending on what you are looking for, you may need to find the right place to go to. The places I go to have plenty of women who are physicians, PhDs, business owners, lawyers, etc. So they are certainly educated. Also, lately I have seen many women wearing hijab (Islamic covering) so many women are most definitely socially conservative. Also, many (if not most) relationship in America start out as purely physical thing. Many women are much more likely to date a guy they find attractive and have a thing for then some random dude with a good personality and a great career outlook. It doesn't mean that a girl will sleep with you right away but a rule of thumb I use is that if I haven't kissed her on out first date - I move on. This works for very conservative women as well. Some guys get an idea that a good serious girl will not kiss and will be turned off by the guy who tries to kiss her. This is false. She will be turned off by the guy who never tries and will move him into the friendzone.

The reason you hear so many guys say that there is no way you can meet a good girl out is most likely because they are jealous and want to make excuses for themselves when they see other guys being successful. Long time ago I was like this too. I would see a guy who meet a girl at the club and got her number and assumed she was trashy because "good girl would not do this". The truth is that it was nothing more than just a defense mechanism I developed to protect self-esteem. Once you get out there and meet more women you will understand that trashy women is more of an exception especially if you go out to the right places.

I think it is a good idea and I will only know if it works or not after giving it a try.
Then how did you find out which bar/club attracts educated women?
I still don't understand the logic behind buying a drink for them. First of all, I don't drink alcohol, so it looks weird if I buy them alcohol. Secondly, it may attract gold digger only. Also buying a drink for a girl might be perceived as lack of confidence, as it seems that I have to bribe them into liking me.
What do you think?

I think it is a good idea and I will only know if it works or not after giving it a try.
I still don't understand the logic behind buying a drink for them. First of all, I don't drink alcohol, so it looks weird if I buy them alcohol. Secondly, it may attract gold digger only. Also buying a drink for a girl might be perceived as lack of confidence, as it seems that I have to bribe them into liking me. What do you think?

I think you are way, way overthinking it. It's a gesture that shows her you are interested, nothing more and nothing less. Treat it as such and stop worrying about playing some complex psychological game. Because trust me, when you are trying to do that, it shows.

Reactions: 1 users
I still don't understand the logic behind buying a drink for them. First of all, I don't drink alcohol, so it looks weird if I buy them alcohol. Secondly, it may attract gold digger only. Also buying a drink for a girl might be perceived as lack of confidence, as it seems that I have to bribe them into liking me.
What do you think?
You can find educated women anywhere if you try but generally a place with a dress code, expensive drinks, and maybe house music (not always) would have more of them. Especially if it is known for doing fashion shows, charity events, etc. But you would really have to go out to many different spots to find the one that suits you.

I am not sure about buying drinks in your case. I drink so I buy people I am talking to drinks when I need one. I don't even ask them if they drink, I ask them what they are drinking. If nothing I just get them water. I think it's part of my culture. I don't feel comfortable eating or drinking when someone is just standing there looking at me. Girls dig the generosity though since I am not only buying drinks when I am interested in a girl, it is just a part of my personality to take care of people around me. Now, if this not really who you are and you find yourself buying girl a drink just to keep her from leaving - then you are doing it wrong.

You can find educated women anywhere if you try but generally a place with a dress code, expensive drinks, and maybe house music (not always) would have more of them. Especially if it is known for doing fashion shows, charity events, etc.

Those aren't necessarily educated people. I tend to think those are pretentious people. Like, any time someone says there's a dress code somewhere, I'm like "man, this is going to suck." Seriously, I have to wear a suit in order to sit around talking to someone?

Those aren't necessarily educated people. I tend to think those are pretentious people. Like, any time someone says there's a dress code somewhere, I'm like "man, this is going to suck." Seriously, I have to wear a suit in order to sit around talking to someone?
I am the opposite. If I feel too dressed up wearing a blazer to some place, it is not a right place for me to go out on weekend nights. I like looking fresh.

I am the opposite. If I feel too dressed up wearing a blazer to some place, it is not a right place for me to go out on weekend nights. I like looking fresh.

Oh, you're a guy? I always assumed you were a girl, for some reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Woah, posts vanishing. I was going to reply to WTF about how I think people who go to those types of clubs fancy themselves to be sophisticated. But I guess we're all pretentious to someone else. For example, the girl I saw on Match who was into "muddin'" was, in my mind, a hick (even though she was attractive). And she probably thinks I'm stuck up. The most I'd ever dress up to go out to a bar or club is to wear jeans instead of shorts. And not fancy dress jeans, just a pair of Levi's. I frankly giggle when guys get excited about their dress shoes, but that's me. And most girls, I think, get excited to dress up and be seen.

If a bar or club isn't a scene you'd feel comfortable in, OP, don't go. Being uncomfortable in the setting will only make you feel less confident when talking to women and they'll pick up on that. Confidence is key.

There are other places to get to know women - through friends is a tried and true channel.

I totally agree with you on this point. I especially like "be persistent yet polite".
However, I recently developed a hypothesis to explain the rationale behind the strategy you recommended, please tell me if you agree:
Since women care more about her partner's social economical status than men, they are trying to find some one who is reliable and dependable. Then the question is: who is more reliable and dependable? The ones they are familiar with (with positive impression)
So your strategy is to let the girl getting more familiar with me in a non-negative way.
And I think it also explains why many girls do not prefer ethnic minority or foreigner: because they are unfamiliar with them, so they don't know if they are reliable or not.
As a result, I need to work against this disadvantage and create whatever opportunity to market myself.

I think that part of your theory is true. In looking for a man with a higher social economic status most women are ACTUALLY looking for consistency and stability. Women care about being with a stable partner but, this does not necessarily equate with social economic status.

SOME women realize that current social econimic status does not EQUAL future social economic status. SOME women also realize that being in the highest socioeconomic status does not mean everything. Look at all the celebritites who mask their misery with drugs, sex, money, and posessions. For some women a job, ambition, valuing education, and putting effort to improve one's self, and maturity can mean more than having a good job that was handed down through the family.

It is true women generally gauge these variables (ambition, consistency, reliability and dependability) based on their familiarity with a man. But this does not mean that only guys from the same country are familiar. For many women both "ethnic" and "non-ethnic" guys are unfamiliar until they get to know them. I do agree that getting to know "ethnic" guys may be more challenging because of differences in culture, especially norms and taboos surrounding appropriate behavoir around men , BUT this does not mean that ALL women assume an "ethnic" guy is unreliable JUST BECAUSE he is "ethnic". In simple terms ALL men ethinic or not ethnic are strangers until you get to know them.

Don't sell yourself short. I am sure that you have a lot to offer. Be yourself, the process might take longer than you would like it to but I am sure you will meet someone who is the right fit for you.

I think a smart woman will not focus on your "ethnicity", current pay check or future pay check. She will get to know you for you. A woman who focuses to much on your pay check or ethnicity MIGHT not be a good fit for you.

Last edited:
SOME women also realize that being in the highest socioeconomic status does not mean everything.

That's something that we all know, but which nobody actually practices. There's almost nobody who really has no intention of moving up in the socioeconomic ladder, male or female. No woman is thrilled, either, to hear a guy say that he is. Now, they prefer to say that they are looking for someone "with drive," but that's just a more socially acceptable way of saying the same thing, if we're being honest. If a guy says "well, I make this amount and, really, that's all I'm ever interested in making and I really don't care about getting promoted" then unless he's ridiculously hot (or his current job is already at the top of the ladder), he's dead in the water.

But, for example, the women who were in my med school class who went out would basically form this tight circle of defense and repel anyone who tried to get near........

Relationship advice isn't cookie cutter. There were a lot of shy, nerdy, wall-flower types in my class, for example, who never went out to bars or class parties. If you just threw them into a bar, they'd be extremely uncomfortable and just hang in some corner. ....

1+ My med school as well.

1+ My med school as well.

I think it's all med schools. People forget that everyone in med school is a nerd, it's just a matter of how big a nerd you are. We always used to joke about how suddenly people who were nerds their entire lives had become "the cool kids" of med school and how that must have weirded them out. I was always the nerd of med school, if that gives you any indication of how nerdy I was.

I also think that a lot of people, when giving dating advice, mix up "when you're starting to date" with "when you're in a relationship," especially when they are in a relationship. The two conditions are markedly different. If you're dating someone for even a little while (or married to them), you are of course MUCH more accepting of things that otherwise would be perceived as flaws, even if you didn't know about them earlier. Like, if you're dating someone and then find out they're horrible with finances, that's something you'd probably put up with in many cases. But if you met them and were immediately told that they were horrible with finances, you'd have a good likelihood of writing them off. People who are IN relationships will say "oh, that's not a deal-breaker" because it's not for their situation, which they are attempting to use as a framework for advice they are giving.

There's a side show argument about rape that has nothing to do with this thread. As a moderator, I'd appreciate it if you all could take that argument to a different thread more applicable to that topic, or private messages.

ctcell, you just moved to this country and you're of an age where you'd like to meet someone seriously. Your issue isn't that your skin or look is less valued in America, it's that you don't fit in with American culture yet. You don't drink, you speak with an accent, you don't understand a lot of jokes and likely subtle social cues... Fine. I have respect for you, because it's a difficult situation to be in, and you keep putting yourself in that position and trying. When you move here as a teenager or sooner, you have more time to figure things out. Even that can be very frustrating.

You can keep trying. Or you can take the paths of least resistance. These are:

1) Meet women of your ethnicity. You've got an instant "in" with them here, because they're going to feel quite out of place as well. Meeting them through online dating, family, or social events is the way most people do it. Social events may be tricky depending on where you live. In which case, you can keep trying to meet someone through the above, though they may be out of your physical area. Alternatively, once you get a chance to move again (fellowship/attending), you have to move to a location that has your community.

2) Wait until you're an attending. Once you start flashing around that attending cash and power, there will be American women in the hospital more interested in you. Resident carries some prestige with these types of people (I think it's fairly location/hospital specific), but attending much moreso.

I always feel that a relationship will be better if both partner can learn something new from each other.

Yeah, I used to feel that way too. It seems exciting when you first start dating, but the reality is, there's not something new you're going to learn from people. It's just different ways of viewing the world that clash. People generally don't have well reasoned arguments for why they believe things or behave the way they do. You either just get it (or pretend to in order to get laid...), i.e. you're compatible, or you don't, i.e. you're incompatible. Your behaviors and attitudes about things are shaped by your culture, so you're generally going to mesh with someone of your own culture. For example: "If party is so dangerous for girls, why there are so many of them go to parties and get drunk? I think they can either just not going or refuse to drink if they do go there." Look at the responses that generated even within this thread. They're not well reasoned. It's not like you can have a logical argument about this with people. So many things in America are taboo due to our sense of "political correctness". You haven't learned this yet. If that topic ever comes up on a date, if you try to address it in ANY way, you're probably not going to get another date. The guys who are good at picking up women just generally avoid any sort of serious discussion or learn to be very agreeable without seeming as such. Women who are picked up often don't even realize it.

So why is it so different for girls that they don't want to date "strangers"?

First lesson: all girls are different. Second lesson: Most girls give cryptic or difficult to follow advice that really only applies to them and not in general. Third lesson: Most girls will say one thing about dating, and then do something completely different themselves.

If you're a guy, don't listen to women about dating advice. Find a guy who is reasonably successful with women, and ask him what he's doing. His advice is going to be more applicable to the general population of women rather than to one specific woman.

When I organize a group activity

You're trying too hard. If you set up events and pressure women to come, you are going to look like a creep to them. Just go out and hang out where you know women will be. Try to bring a friend with you. Find activities you know women like. Try to find neutral events that aren't specifically marketed as dating. I like meetup.com for this, but there are a lot of other venues. Guys who are a little older and have the bling seem to start using things like art events, social events revolving around opera, theatre, art shows, etc.

Bars in general are a terrible place to pick up quality women. They're noisy, women tend to go out in defensive groups (click for an example), and again women don't like to *obviously* get picked up by guys (unless they happen to be very funny and cute), which is exactly what happens in bars. It's a cliche place to meet people, and it only works for certain types of people--mostly drunken undergrads. Even at high end bars, you're going to find a lot of trashy women. For me, there's physical attractiveness, but I don't date just to play genital tag, and it's more important that I find someone who actually has a good brain and soul on top of the rest of their body. In general, bars are low yield for that unless you know who you're going out with in advance.

But before I came to the U.S., I have never made any effort to meet girls (or meet people in general) as they always take initiative.

Yeah it's funny that way. In America it's the cultural norm that men do all the work on dating. It sucks for guys because generally we're expected to just have no feelings or insecurities whatsoever and constantly throw ourselves out there for harsh criticism. The one nice thing is that once you get past the age of 30 things start to open up, because the women who were too picky or too shy to get a guy in their 20s suddenly start to feel some pressure to find someone before the ovaries fail. Alternatively, they start to open up to the possibility they don't need to be 100% picky about everything about a guy because they're not dating to marry, and things get more relaxed. The divorced ones, assuming they don't have kids, realize that the cute a*hole they married before turned out to be a huge dud and aren't as hung up on superficial things anymore. Dating in your 20s sucks unless you have something going for you (good looks, rich, socially adept with time to use it). You don't. You will in your 30s when you become an attending though.

Women in their 20s are generally trying to find someone who is cute and fun. All that stuff about reliable and dependable generally comes second or when they're older.

Anyway, what you're trying to do is not meet as many women as possible, nor get to know all the women in your life well. Your goal is to get to know as many available women who might be interested in you as possible, and learn to sort that out efficiently. Sure, I'd love to chat for hours and hours with every girl I meet, but we're busy professionals who just don't have the time. When you meet someone you're compatible with who likes you back, you'll know. Try with them, but don't force it. It's hard to know what is try and what is force, but you'll figure it out. Right now I think you're spending a lot of time trying to force things that just don't work.

Also buying a drink for a girl might be perceived as lack of confidence, as it seems that I have to bribe them into liking me.

This is partially true. The other part is that girls don't want to be obviously picked up. Buying a girl a drink is old-school cliche. Still in general don't buy girls anything until at least several dates in. No American girl is going to feel better about you based on what you buy for them when you meet them or on a first date.

Last edited:
2) Wait until you're an attending. Once you start flashing around that attending cash and power, there will be American women in the hospital more interested in you. Resident carries some prestige with these types of people (I think it's fairly location/hospital specific), but attending much moreso.

Even if he were to try this course of action, there's a point at which -- and this isn't meant as a dig at the OP -- attending status can't overcome "foreignness." Like, remember William Hung on "American Idol" from years ago? If you magically made him a doctor, he still probably would struggle.

There's a side show argument about rape that has nothing to do with this thread. As a moderator, I'd appreciate it if you all could take that argument to a different thread more applicable to that topic, or private messages.

ctcell, you just moved to this country and you're of an age where you'd like to meet someone seriously. Your issue isn't that your skin or look is less valued in America, it's that you don't fit in with American culture yet. You don't drink, you speak with an accent, you don't understand a lot of jokes and likely subtle social cues... Fine. I have respect for you, because it's a difficult situation to be in, and you keep putting yourself in that position and trying. When you move here as a teenager or sooner, you have more time to figure things out. Even that can be very frustrating.

You can keep trying. Or you can take the paths of least resistance. These are:

1) Meet women of your ethnicity. You've got an instant "in" with them here, because they're going to feel quite out of place as well. Meeting them through online dating, family, or social events is the way most people do it. Social events may be tricky depending on where you live. In which case, you can keep trying to meet someone through the above, though they may be out of your physical area. Alternatively, once you get a chance to move again (fellowship/attending), you have to move to a location that has your community.

Yeah, I used to feel that way too. It seems exciting when you first start dating, but the reality is, there's not something new you're going to learn from people. It's just different ways of viewing the world that clash. People generally don't have well reasoned arguments for why they believe things or behave the way they do. You either just get it (or pretend to in order to get laid...), i.e. you're compatible, or you don't, i.e. you're incompatible. Your behaviors and attitudes about things are shaped by your culture, so you're generally going to mesh with someone of your own culture. For example: "If party is so dangerous for girls, why there are so many of them go to parties and get drunk? I think they can either just not going or refuse to drink if they do go there." Look at the responses that generated even within this thread. They're not well reasoned. It's not like you can have a logical argument about this with people. So many things in America are taboo due to our sense of "political correctness". You haven't learned this yet. If that topic ever comes up on a date, if you try to address it in ANY way, you're probably not going to get another date. The guys who are good at picking up women just generally avoid any sort of serious discussion or learn to be very agreeable without seeming as such. Women who are picked up often don't even realize it.

First lesson: all girls are different. Second lesson: Most girls give cryptic or difficult to follow advice that really only applies to them and not in general. Third lesson: Most girls will say one thing about dating, and then do something completely different themselves.

If you're a guy, don't listen to women about dating advice. Find a guy who is reasonably successful with women, and ask him what he's doing. His advice is going to be more applicable to the general population of women rather than to one specific woman.

You're trying too hard. If you set up events and pressure women to come, you are going to look like a creep to them. Just go out and hang out where you know women will be. Try to bring a friend with you. Find activities you know women like. Try to find neutral events that aren't specifically marketed as dating. I like meetup.com for this, but there are a lot of other venues. Guys who are a little older and have the bling seem to start using things like art events, social events revolving around opera, theatre, art shows, etc.

Bars in general are a terrible place to pick up quality women. They're noisy, women tend to go out in defensive groups (click for an example), and again women don't like to *obviously* get picked up by guys (unless they happen to be very funny and cute), which is exactly what happens in bars. It's a cliche place to meet people, and it only works for certain types of people--mostly drunken undergrads. Even at high end bars, you're going to find a lot of trashy women. For me, there's physical attractiveness, but I don't date just to play genital tag, and it's more important that I find someone who actually has a good brain and soul on top of the rest of their body. In general, bars are low yield for that unless you know who you're going out with in advance.

Yeah it's funny that way. In America it's the cultural norm that men do all the work on dating. It sucks for guys because generally we're expected to just have no feelings or insecurities whatsoever and constantly throw ourselves out there for harsh criticism. The one nice thing is that once you get past the age of 30 things start to open up, because the women who were too picky or too shy to get a guy in their 20s suddenly start to feel some pressure to find someone before the ovaries fail. Alternatively, they start to open up to the possibility they don't need to be 100% picky about everything about a guy because they're not dating to marry, and things get more relaxed. The divorced ones, assuming they don't have kids, realize that the cute a*hole they married before turned out to be a huge dud and aren't as hung up on superficial things anymore. Dating in your 20s sucks unless you have something going for you (good looks, rich, socially adept with time to use it). You don't. You will in your 30s when you become an attending though.

Women in their 20s are generally trying to find someone who is cute and fun. All that stuff about reliable and dependable generally comes second or when they're older.

Anyway, what you're trying to do is not meet as many women as possible, nor get to know all the women in your life well. Your goal is to get to know as many available women who might be interested in you as possible, and learn to sort that out efficiently. Sure, I'd love to chat for hours and hours with every girl I meet, but we're busy professionals who just don't have the time. When you meet someone you're compatible with who likes you back, you'll know. Try with them, but don't force it. It's hard to know what is try and what is force, but you'll figure it out. Right now I think you're spending a lot of time trying to force things that just don't work.

This is partially true. The other part is that girls don't want to be obviously picked up. Buying a girl a drink is old-school cliche. Still in general don't buy girls anything until at least several dates in. No American girl is going to feel better about you based on what you buy for them when you meet them or on a first date.
I agree with most of the advice here except for bars and paying for drinks.

I think bars and clubs are the easiest place to meet people and I don't think I am that cute or funny either. At some point in their life almost every woman in America goes out. It's not that women at the bars are trashy it's that the environment often encourages that type of behavior from people who act very different on other days.

Also, as a a guy who has an accent and is from another country, I think that being generous with women is one of easiest ways to one-up some American men. The truth is that I know a lot of white guys who feel that the woman should be paying her "share" and she should like him for his looks, personality, etc. This type of mentality makes them come across cheap. I know quite a few American women that don't date American men because of this. Once they tried dating a guy who takes care of them they are not going back.

Neuronix, thanks for the detailed explanation!

you don't understand a lot of jokes and likely subtle social cues...
Could you give me a few examples of those "subtle social cues" that generally only Americans know?

but the reality is, there's not something new you're going to learn from people. It's just different ways of viewing the world that clash. People generally don't have well reasoned arguments for why they believe things or behave the way they do. You either just get it (or pretend to in order to get laid...), i.e. you're compatible, or you don't, i.e. you're incompatible. Your behaviors and attitudes about things are shaped by your culture, so you're generally going to mesh with someone of your own culture.

Even if I date girls from my culture, there is still going to be a lot of difference (or "incompatibility"). I am not (and most people are not) trying to find someone who is compatible with me in each and every aspects. If that is the case, everyone will fall for their twin sister. Culture is only one of the one million things that people can be different from each other. Even "culture" itself is a very vague concept. There is country-specific culture, there are also family culture, business culture, school culture...... People who works in medicine may think differently from people who works in art. And people from small family may have different view of the world from people with many siblings. For me, the difference in the country-specific culture is way less important than the girl's education level or if she is a logical/reasonable person

Dating in your 20s sucks unless you have something going for you (good looks, rich, socially adept with time to use it). You don't. You will in your 30s when you become an attending though.

Well, most of (probably all) the male medical students don't have any of the qualities that you mentioned that are attractive to girls in their 20s. But the vast majority of them still find someone and tend to have a more stable marriage than the general public. And I think it is an oversimplification of girls in 20s, the female medical students and residents I know are not like that. I think you are talking about average or below average girls in the society, who is not my target population. And even for girls who are less educated, they are still attracted to social economical status, they are just not good at picking the right clue (for example, they may think that muscular men have higher social status, which is not the case in modern society).

Last edited:
I think bars and clubs are the easiest place to meet people and I don't think I am that cute or funny either. At some point in their life almost every woman in America goes out. It's not that women at the bars are trashy it's that the environment often encourages that type of behavior from people who act very different on other days.

I'd disagree, but it's difficult to put into words why. In theory, you're right: people go out to bars and clubs to meet people, so therefore I can see people saying that makes sense. But the reality is that I guess I'd say that it's easy for certain people to meet people at bars and clubs. While it is easy to meet people there, I think you'd agree that it is also just as easy to NOT meet people there. I'm biased because I'll say right now that describes me, but I've seen it happen to other people, as well. You can go to a bar or club and be someone who just sits shyly in a corner watching people. The things that make it daunting to approach someone in any other place also make it equally daunting in a bar or club, maybe more so. I've always joked with people - and it's true - that many people are nervous at bars, believe it or not. Like, when my medical school classmates went to bars, guess what? Everyone would just be very nervous and immediately order a drink so they could hold it and sip at it so they wouldn't look completely weird just standing there. I'm sure at least some people will know what I'm talking about. Also, when you go to a bar, often people go with one or two other people and what happens is you sort of stick together. Then it becomes small pockets of people who are sticking together (in the case of women, they form that "wall" or "circle" where they just lock out guys). It really is easy to not be able to approach people in those situations, if you're starting out as an introvert.