Need Advice... deciding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Comicho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! Here's my situation and I'm hoping someone that has gone through a similar path can give me some advice. I enlisted in the AF when I was 19 one semester into college and now I'm 25 turning 26 in December. I always thought the AF would be easy, but from my experience it has been one of the most difficult things I've gone through. I've been deployed multiple times to Iraq and Kuwait and gone through plenty of exercises. I got out of active duty April 09’ and now I'm on orders in the Air National Guard until I start school in the Spring. My boss is very supportive in my decision to go to school full time even though they would like the additional help at work. I'm a 2E2 (Computer Networking & Cryptographic Switching) and have spent a LOT of time with self studying, hands on experience, and commercial/military school. I find it very difficult to justify starting over.

The THING is… I just feel like i'm not completely satisfied with what I’m doing. I feel a sort of emptyness day in and day out. I am very meticulous about my work and absolutely hate the fact that after working on a project installing, configuring, and getting everything working and pretty… it would have to be torn down and no longer needed a few years later or maybe months later for something better and greater. The work I was so proud of is suddenly gone and now the process repeats itself for another project. Never knowing if my work had ever really helped anybody or anything… but that’s how IT infrastructure and the military goes… it can be constructed but may never be used.

Four months ago my cousin half jokingly told me that I should be a doctor after I had told him of my unhappiness. I laughed at it and pretty much had the notion in my head that it was impossible with my age, the difficulty of becoming a doctor, and having very little college, and being out of school for so long.

Well... I got curious and I started researching different sites and going to forums here everyday for a few months and reading any material I can find on becoming a doctor, the process involved, various people’s problems throughout pre-med to residency, and what it takes to get through medical school.

I was thinking it was probably just a phase I'm going through right now, but here I am months later still thinking about it everyday. How did you all come to the realization that becoming a doctor is something that you really wanted to do and were truly sincere about this profession, helping others, and not just for self fulfillment? I think about it all the time, like can I really do this? Am I even smart enough? Can I even get through a Biochemistry program when I’ve struggled with science in High School? It’s these things that weigh on my mind that I keep me up at night. (I took 4 years of Science, Math, and two years of Foreign Language in High School and struggled but finished). I went to see a college advisor today for the first time in 6 years and they seemed to be put off at the fact I haven’t really even attended college, have a few basic courses done, and here I am wanting to be a doctor… It felt like they were trying to steer me into a different course. Maybe I’m over thinking things?

I apologize for the length of the post, but I realize becoming a doctor takes a lifetime of hard work and dedication, not only that but also the cost of school. That’s why if I commit myself, I want to be sure and really do it for the right reasons. Thanks for any advice/comments you can give me. It sure is a tough decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody! Here's my situation and I'm hoping someone that has gone through a similar path can give me some advice. I enlisted in the AF when I was 19 one semester into college and now I'm 25 turning 26 in December. I always thought the AF would be easy, but from my experience it has been one of the most difficult things I've gone through. I've been deployed multiple times to Iraq and Kuwait and gone through plenty of exercises. I got out of active duty April 09’ and now I'm on orders in the Air National Guard until I start school in the Spring. My boss is very supportive in my decision to go to school full time even though they would like the additional help at work. I'm a 2E2 (Computer Networking & Cryptographic Switching) and have spent a LOT of time with self studying, hands on experience, and commercial/military school. I find it very difficult to justify starting over.

The THING is… I just feel like i'm not completely satisfied with what I’m doing. I feel a sort of emptyness day in and day out. I am very meticulous about my work and absolutely hate the fact that after working on a project installing, configuring, and getting everything working and pretty… it would have to be torn down and no longer needed a few years later or maybe months later for something better and greater. The work I was so proud of is suddenly gone and now the process repeats itself for another project. Never knowing if my work had ever really helped anybody or anything… but that’s how IT infrastructure and the military goes… it can be constructed but may never be used.

Four months ago my cousin half jokingly told me that I should be a doctor after I had told him of my unhappiness. I laughed at it and pretty much had the notion in my head that it was impossible with my age, the difficulty of becoming a doctor, and having very little college, and being out of school for so long.

Well... I got curious and I started researching different sites and going to forums here everyday for a few months and reading any material I can find on becoming a doctor, the process involved, various people’s problems throughout pre-med to residency, and what it takes to get through medical school.

I was thinking it was probably just a phase I'm going through right now, but here I am months later still thinking about it everyday. How did you all come to the realization that becoming a doctor is something that you really wanted to do and were truly sincere about this profession, helping others, and not just for self fulfillment? I think about it all the time, like can I really do this? Am I even smart enough? Can I even get through a Biochemistry program when I’ve struggled with science in High School? It’s these things that weigh on my mind that I keep me up at night. (I took 4 years of Science, Math, and two years of Foreign Language in High School and struggled but finished). I went to see a college advisor today for the first time in 6 years and they seemed to be put off at the fact I haven’t really even attended college, have a few basic courses done, and here I am wanting to be a doctor… It felt like they were trying to steer me into a different course. Maybe I’m over thinking things?

I apologize for the length of the post, but I realize becoming a doctor takes a lifetime of hard work and dedication, not only that but also the cost of school. That’s why if I commit myself, I want to be sure and really do it for the right reasons. Thanks for any advice/comments you can give me. It sure is a tough decision.

Make sure you know what youre getting into first. Volunteer at hospital or free clinic, shadow some local doctors. Spend some time around the career and make sure you really want to pursue it. Then ease into the classes...take the prereqs first (bio, chem, phys, and ochem) and make sure you can handle them. If youre still all for it after that then keep on plugging.

Note: I did this myself. I already had a degree so I only needed the prereqs, but I spent time working in a local free clinic and shadowing a few docs before I committed to leaving my salary job and pursuing this. It is tough and often the glory of being a doctor that you see on TV and movies really fades when you spend time seeing real medicine.

I eased into the classes by only taking Chem I and Trig the first semester and kept increasing the classes as I realized I could handle it. Youve got a long road ahead of you, it will be hard, but make sure its really what you want and not just the romanticized role on TV.

Comicho,

You are not going to be the first to switch careers into medicine. Since you've never attended college, I'd suggest you take your pre-reqs at a community college. The workload is easier and can allow you to do well. Then you can transfer to a 4 year college and finish your degree there.

While doing this, you should shadow the local doctors in your area to get a real life feel for the profession. Lastly, look into other aspects of the health care industry: CRNA, NP, PT, and PA.The pay is good and training is much shorter. By the time you finish college and matriculate into med school you are going to be pushing 30. Add 8 more years and you'll be starting your career at 38. Not bad but just keep that in mind as you make your decision.

Your decision can be somewhat easier if the military is going to help with tuition (college and med school).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your advisor was probably a little put off because, statistically, people with your history probably have a relatively low rate of actually staying all the way through and becoming a doctor.

Of course, you are not a statistic, you are unique and have you control your own destiny. I'm at a top 20 med school, and there's a guy in my first-year class who's in his 30s-40s. It's all about how bad you want it; if you want it bad enough, your age won't hold you back. But the only way for you to find out if this is for you is to jump into volunteering and try it out.

Good luck.

I think you might find this physician's profile inspirational and motivational:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2007/07/twenty-questions-david-c-hilmers-md-ee-mph/

Do some real soul searching and figure out why it is that medicine seems so appealing to you. You will need that answer whenever you begin the path to become a physician, for it will be a source of strength and will drive you to accomplish all that you must.

I agree with the above posters. Volunteer at free clinics or at hospitals and shadow doctors. Investigate other careers within medicine. Figure out for yourself that this is exactly the path you wish to pursue.

By the way, you are NOT too old. Do not let that excuse get in the way of obtaining your goals.