Need advice, failed some classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyttykat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, to start, I have checked and searched the other postings, but this is one of those questions that is unique to the individual... So I am asking again. :(
I started at community college right out of high school, and ended up missing finals when my father in law died and life went crazy. :boom: I was 18 and had no idea what to do and didn't do anything.
I restarted at another community college ten years later, made A's while working full time, and ended up missing class and getting another hit for attendance and failing two classes for that (I was sure I had dropped but I was getting away from an bad relationship and must not have.)
The classes from 1998 are Study Skills (not even a transferable class 1 credit hour), Beginning Algebra (retaken with an A 4.5 credit hours) and Geology (will retake if it will help 6.0 credit hours). The other classes are Comp II (retaking 4.5 credit hours) and Intermediate Algebra (Retaken with an A 4.5 credit hours)
I also have withdrawals from my time at the second CC, because I was working full time/had a bad marriage, and couldn't always handle a full time class load.
Am I sunk for an MD? I'm planning to apply for DO programs as well, but I'm not sure how my future residency/fellowship plans work out for OBGYN/MFM later on with a DO.
Outside of all of the mistakes I have made, I am a 4.0 student, I worked for 10 years in Patient Financial Services doing every last job you can with patients in that setting. I also will be doing some shadowing and volunteering with the local free clinic.
I am also contemplating a move to South Texas (I lived there last year) and have looked at the Fresh Start Program. That would get rid of some of this issue.
Any help/advice would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Study Skills, Beginning Algebra, Geology? What classes have you taken to fulfill your pre-req requirements? Also, this is more appropriate for 'What are my chances?'.

I've just started out again... at 18 I didn't know what I wanted to do, so that's all I had taken.So far I have Stats (A+), Biology with lab (A+), and will have Chem I next quarter. I have a lot of math yet before I take Physics (need through Calc. II for my degree).
I apologize for putting this in the wrong section... I'm a newbie.

I expect the moderators will move your thread, so don't worry about its current location
I'm planning to apply for DO programs as well, but I'm not sure how my future residency/fellowship plans work out for OBGYN/MFM later on with a DO.
If you can get competitive Step scores, you should have no trouble getting into OBGYN as a DO. I have no idea how competitive Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowships are, but you could Search through SND's specialty-specific forums further down on the list and see what it would take to get into one: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Just be sure that any retaken coursework has the same number of credit hours as the original (or greater) to be sure you can invoke the DO grade forgiveness policy outside of Texas.