General Admissions & OTCAS Need advice for pre-req/OTCAS scenario

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CAOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to the best way to handle this scenario:
I'm applying now thru OTCAS for the current cycle. 2 of the schools I'm applying to require an Intro to OT course as a pre-req. This class wasn't offered at my undergrad U and I have yet to take it, but I did find an online course for $1200.
Because of the cost, I wasn't planning on enrolling unless I get accepted to the program(s). So, I wouldn't take the class until May-July (10-12 mos from now).
How should I handle this in OTCAS?
I don't think I want to list the university and list the class even as "planned" and fill-in dates in the future because I obviously have no transcript and no transcript to request. I think this would halt the verification process?
The academic update in Dec would still be too early--still nothing official to show.
I also don't want it to appear to these 2 schools as though I've "forgotten" about this requirement or don't have a plan in place. I feel like it needs to be addressed but don't want to impede/confuse OTCAS verification/transcript evals process.
Suggestions/advice are welcomed; I'm new to this!
TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

First question is when do the programs that require Intro to OT start? If they start in the summer (June/July) it will be best to do it earlier rather than later. With that said you can take it during the Spring semester and have it as "planned" courses in OTCAS. But if you do not have it as planned/in-progress on OTCAS, schools will assume you are not going to take it and as it is a pre-req they may automatically eliminate you from their list of potential students.

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can give me some insight as to the best way to handle this scenario:
I'm applying now thru OTCAS for the current cycle. 2 of the schools I'm applying to require an Intro to OT course as a pre-req. This class wasn't offered at my undergrad U and I have yet to take it, but I did find an online course for $1200.
Because of the cost, I wasn't planning on enrolling unless I get accepted to the program(s). So, I wouldn't take the class until May-July (10-12 mos from now).
How should I handle this in OTCAS?
I don't think I want to list the university and list the class even as "planned" and fill-in dates in the future because I obviously have no transcript and no transcript to request. I think this would halt the verification process?
The academic update in Dec would still be too early--still nothing official to show.
I also don't want it to appear to these 2 schools as though I've "forgotten" about this requirement or don't have a plan in place. I feel like it needs to be addressed but don't want to impede/confuse OTCAS verification/transcript evals process.
Suggestions/advice are welcomed; I'm new to this!
TIA!

If you do not have the class as "planned" I don't think that schools will assume that you aren't going to take it... most schools know that students take classes over the summer. If you are accepted most likely your acceptance letter would say that you have the missing class and you acceptance is only conditional and won't be final until you complete this requirement. Make sure that you know when the start date of the programs are and when your final grade for that class will be released... and also contact the schools... these message boards are great, but seriously the schools are the best way to get answers like this... don't be afraid to email them!! I was constantly emailing the schools I was interested in when I didn't understand/had questions about their requirements.

I was told by three schools that if it wasn't listed as planned then they would just reject the application. Reasoning being - there are other individuals who have completed or show they are going to complete. I wouldn't risk it honestly....I'm in the same boat with kinesiology, and I'm feeling like $1200 is a lot of money yo spend, but ultimately I know that I need it so I'm just biting the bullet and doing it now.