Need Advice, Low Step 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alextcw26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was hoping to get some advice about my step 1 scores. I got the back today and was doing about 60% on USMLE world, but got a 189/76. I feel very disappointed because I was hoping for more in the 210 range. I'm in a US med school, started my 3rd year, and just seeing if there was much hope in what I want to do. I'm not going for Derm or anything, but I like IM and Neuro. I'm also fine with a middle-road kind of program. I like both and would like to know my chances. I know I should focus on 3rd year and excel in my wards and Step 2, so I'm going to prepare well and spread it out through the year. Any advice on how realistic it is?

Members don't see this ad.

As a grad from a US MD program, I'd say you still probably have a shot at matching somewhere if you apply smart.

First things first, I would meet with your school's advisor. They can give you a little more insight and personalized guidance. As your class just got their scores back, they're probably currently meeting with students in your class who have concerns like yours. Talk to your Dean of Student Affairs if you don't know who the above person is.

You still have your 3rd year clerkships to work with. While Step I is a big portion of the decision, 3rd year grades help. Look and see how the grades are determined and plan accordingly. If the shelf is a large percentage (it was 40% at my school, i.e. make or break) then start studying day one of each rotation. The discussion threads for each shelf exam in this forum are pretty helpful in figuring out which materials to use.

Once you do figure out which specialty you want to go into (Neuro/IM/etc.), it wouldn't hurt to talk to the PD at your school and get some specific advice. They can give you a realistic assessment of your chances, tell you where to look and apply. Plus, you're building a relationship with this person early. If all else fails, you've now got a Program Director that knows you beyond the stats and is more likely to rank you high enough for you to match.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck. :luck:

Hello everyone. I was hoping to get some advice about my step 1 scores. I got the back today and was doing about 60% on USMLE world, but got a 189/76. I feel very disappointed because I was hoping for more in the 210 range. I'm in a US med school, started my 3rd year, and just seeing if there was much hope in what I want to do. I'm not going for Derm or anything, but I like IM and Neuro. I'm also fine with a middle-road kind of program. I like both and would like to know my chances. I know I should focus on 3rd year and excel in my wards and Step 2, so I'm going to prepare well and spread it out through the year. Any advice on how realistic it is?

Being completely realistic, as I'm sure you know, you barely passed the exam. Residency programs will be aware of this. Trying to get into a middle of the road program with a score like this is the same as trying to get into a top tier program with an average score -- it's a stretch, but not completely impossible. You'll need to apply broadly. Some programs actually consider every applicant, and won't use an ERAS score filter. As you stated, third year clerkships and your Step 2 score can help salvage your application... somewhat. Don't worry about matching in IM or Neuro... these are not competitive specialties (especially Neuro), so as a U.S. grad you're a shoo-in for a spot somewhere, but competitive or even middle of the road programs could be a challenge if you don't strengthen your application in other ways.

Check out the NRMP Charting the Outcomes PDF for more info (http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf) -- plenty of people match in your score range in those specialties.

Talk to the PDs of the Neuro and IM programs at your school.
They will be in the best position to advise you.

Do as well as you can from this point forward.
You will be able to match somewhere in those specialties, just make sure you choose well and apply very, very broadly.

You won't be able to be picky, but you should be able to get a spot.
:luck: