MD & DO Need advice... Low verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uh34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT score today and got a 24 with a 5 in VR. My AMCAS GPA is 3.3 overall and science, and my AACOMAS GPA is 3.4 overall and science. I got my AMCAS verified recently, meanwhile my AACOMAS may be verified in a few weeks. My plan is to retake the MCAT in early October, but I feel that it will be too late. I never received a 5 in a practice before, and I feel that my VR can definitely be improved. My EC's, letters, PS, research, etc. are all solid. I am also a URM from CA. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

October is probably too late. Do you have an issue with applying next cycle?

I just got my MCAT score today and got a 24 with a 5 in VR. My AMCAS GPA is 3.3 overall and science, and my AACOMAS GPA is 3.4 overall and science. I got my AMCAS verified recently, meanwhile my AACOMAS may be verified in a few weeks. My plan is to retake the MCAT in early October, but I feel that it will be too late. I never received a 5 in a practice before, and I feel that my VR can definitely be improved. My EC's, letters, PS, research, etc. are all solid. I am also a URM from CA. Thanks for the help.
Which community do you represent?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Saxappeal1 I agree. I am still not sure what I will do, but applying next cycle may be a possibility.

@gyngyn I am part Mexican and part Salvadoran. I grew up in an underserved area in Los Angeles.

Not sure if important, but I received an LOR from my English prof. She always complimented me on my English skills, and I am sure she referred to that in my LOR. Can this help my 5 VR a little?

Not sure if important, but I received an LOR from my English prof. She always complimented me on my English skills, and I am sure she referred to that in my LOR. Can this help my 5 VR a little?
No, but you are a good candidate for the three Puerto Rican schools that accept mainlanders (all but UPR).

also, according to Goro, the DO cycle is longer and apparently her school will give II for class seats (not waitlist spots) even if the app is complete by december. so I think you can retake in early october for do schools