Need advice (med schools chances)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdpowerb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate your opinions/advices on the schools that I chose.
I'm a senior Biology major and Chem minor.
LizzyM 66-70. I was expecting a higher MCAT as my practice aamc avg was 33.
I can't retake until next year, as I missed one test due to sickness and voided one back in january, .
Things I did during college:
I have done literally hundreds hours of hospital volunteering/ shadowing/ community service/ tutoring, working part time, done three years of research (received research scholarships, presented three posters)
I'm really really really interested in MD so I only applied there, also I'm Texas resident.
Here is my school list:
All Texas schools +
1.Drexel University College of Medicine
2.Eastern Virginia Medical School
3.Howard University
4.Loma Linda University School of Medicine
5.Medical College of Wisconsin
6.Meharry Medical College
7.Morehouse School of Medicine
8.Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
9.Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
10.Uni. of North Dakota Sch. of Med. & Hlth. Sci.
11.University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic
12.University of Wisconsin
13.Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine.
14.Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
15.West Virginia University School of Medicine

your help is really appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What community do you represent? If you're ORM, then do your homework and look up Howard's mission statement. Ditto the other HBCs.

Your best chances will be all TX schools, except UTSW and Baylor.

MSAR Online is your friend. Look at the "acceptance information" tab.

I'm really really really interested in MD so I only applied there, also I'm Texas resident.
Goro also suggests
All Texas schools +
1.Drexel University College of Medicine
2.Eastern Virginia Medical School
4.Loma Linda University School of Medicine (but read their list of don'ts)
5.Medical College of Wisconsin
8.Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
9.Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
13.Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine.
15.West Virginia University School of Medicine (maybe)
Quinnipiac
TCMC
Rush
The new MD schools in MI

Howard, Loma Linda, Meharry and Morehouse are mission-based schools. Do you match their missions?
UND is also mission-based in a slightly different way.
None of the other schools are more likely to accept you than your state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the quick response
@Goro the additional choices look great . Btw I'm white.
@gyngyn: I'm just really worried about my chances in Texas (& in general)due to my MCAT.

@gyngyn: I'm just really worried about my chances in Texas (& in general)due to my MCAT.
The problem you have is that TX has trained us not to interview its applicants! Unless you believe you are scholarship material there is little reason to apply to MD schools outside of TX. Your only real OOS option is DO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem you have is that TX has trained us not to interview its applicants! Unless you believe you are scholarship material there is little reason to apply to MD schools outside of TX. Your only real OOS option is DO.
gyn gyn, I'm curious as to why you think OP has such little "real chance OOS" for MD, even though many on that list are private anyway, and it seems as though OP has decent EC's. are you specifically looking at their verbal score? / what do you mean about the "TX applicants" thing?

gyn gyn, I'm curious as to why you think OP has such little "real chance OOS" for MD, even though many on that list are private anyway, and it seems as though OP has decent EC's. are you specifically looking at their verbal score? / what do you mean about the "TX applicants" thing?
The schools in TX strongly favor IS applicants (as mandated by statute). Tuition in TX state schools is much less than any private school that might otherwise be interested in interviewing TX applicants. Over the years, we observe that nobody who is accepted in TX will pay extra to go OOS unless we can offer an inducement. OOP is not a candidate for a scholarship at any of the schools on his list. The schools know this and therefore have little interest in interviewing someone who is unlikely to matriculate.