Need advice on applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndigoBoy0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some advice. I know all the differences bt Med/Peds and FM however I am still stuck between applying to:

1) Med/Peds
2) FM
3) FM/IM (there are two programs - the ONLY option i see in this is that you can do a felllowship after)
4) FM/Psych (there are 5 programs I think)

Here are a few of my factors:
-I am geographically limited. My SO is here and I am trying to stay here. That being said the FM/Psych programs are nowhere near me. I'm on teh East Coast which is probably where I'll be practicing too so everyone is against FM. No one knows what FM is here. Our school has no department. I am doing 2 aways to get a feel. Family docs here don't see kids or do comprehensive care like i would want and I KNOW I will not practice rurally so what's the point?
-I will be practicing primary care for at least 4 years after residency as I am in NHSC - I wanted to be able to see kids and adults during this time. I dislike the hospital (FM despite popular belief you still do intern year all inpatient) and don't see myself working there. Went into medicine to do HIV medicine and while I wouldn't do this in ped population I have to do primary care for 4 years and want to work with kids during this time. Would maybe be interested in IM fellowship but only for the HIV care and international/tropical medicine (not diabetic foot wounds). Also would be interested in high $ fellowship post-service (GI, etc.) to supplement income.
-I had a career in global health before med school and as so much of global health is prenatal care and ob I feel like I would be missing something. I do intend to enter global health in an admin/policy capacity at some point
-There is a Med/Peds PC I'm interested in which is the only reason I got interested in Med/Peds
-I did really well in psych hence the FM/Psych programs. I don't want to do straight psych, however I have seen the benefit of a good PCP very well versed in psych, plus I like the $ and lifestyle of psych (I'd do no-insuranec cash only most all are where I am in a big city). Would be interested in HIV psycahiatry as a niche.

As you can see my interests/thoughts are allover the place which is stressing me out I don't even know how to apply. Lots of med/peds and lots of FM? Lots of FM and only Med/Peds in my area? I figure when you do up to 15 programs it costs the same but I feel like I am applying to so many programs with no direction.

Any guidance would be appreciated! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The question you have to ask yourself is ... What do you want to do with the rest of our life? What are your goals? And do you want to keep fellowship options (IM fellowships) available? FM also offers some fellowships as well.

And how geographically limited are you?

Hard to give you advice or suggestions when you don't know what you want to do.