General Admissions & OTCAS Need advice on becoming an occupational therapist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jen7816

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.I am thinking of getting into occupational therapy I have a bachelor's in education but want to get into something more specialized. I have a son with autism and he has received occupational therapy speech therapy ABA therapy. I am thinking that occupational therapy is a good field to go into. I guess I just need a little bit of guidance here as far as the requirements and good colleges. I definitely would prefer to be able to do College online if possible. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

While there are hybrid programs that have some online classes, none are fully online due to fieldwork and the hands on nature of OT. A few I can think of are Concordia in Wisconsin, UMN, and I believe one of Nova Southeasterns programs. Also, AOTAs website has a list of programs by state. If you Google NBCOT pass rates, you can check which universities prepare their students to take the board exam.

As for requirements, go to the websites of the schools you're interested in and write them down. While it varies, expect to take anatomy/physiology, some psych courses (like child development), possibly sociology/anthropology, etc.

Good luck!

Hi all.I am thinking of getting into occupational therapy I have a bachelor's in education but want to get into something more specialized. I have a son with autism and he has received occupational therapy speech therapy ABA therapy. I am thinking that occupational therapy is a good field to go into. I guess I just need a little bit of guidance here as far as the requirements and good colleges. I definitely would prefer to be able to do College online if possible. Thanks all!

I have classmates that were teachers that used to teach special ed relating to autism.

Augustine has a flex program you can look into. It has an online component but you go on the weekends to do the interventions etc. There are no schools that can provide you an 100% experience. A lot of things in the rehab profession are hands on.

Augustine does not concentrate very much on the psycho-social aspect to OT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beestrng, The University of St Augustine FLEX program looks good. How often would you have to go do the interventions? Just curious. I live in Kentucky now but will be moving to South Carolina in a few months. Maybe I need to find a South carolina program. BTW used to live near st augustine, its a beautiful place!