Need advice on comparing UTMB vs UTSW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaztong

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got in UTMB and finished interview with UTSW. Wondering which I should choose. If I was in UTMB, I would be living in League City and the commute would be 25 minutes so commute would be much longer than in UTSW. Trying to figure out how to rank my preferences on TMDSAS before Jan 22.

I am wondering how y'all think about the following points of comparison for UTMB vs UTSW:
1. Better coursework to prepare for Step 1 and 2 - with an end goal of better flexibility for residency positions
(I want to stay in major Texas cities and preferably less moving around)
2. Lower graduate debt, scholarships, lower cost of living
3. PAID research experience opportunities (just rather save money)
4. Better meaningful networking opportunities, not sure if UTMB would be better since the faculty may have more time to spend per student.
5. More exposure to cutting-edge technology, medical devices, robotic surgery, etc.
6. Convenience, UTMB would be longer commute, but both have lecture streaming options.
7. Great grocery options

What doesn't matter to me:
Prestige/rankings

Everyone has their reasons to choose one over the other, but please note I'm looking for specific advice/statistical data to make a well-informed decision unique for my personal situation here. Please share experience if you know the situation on either or both; thank you, I appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got in UTMB and finished interview with UTSW. Wondering which I should choose. If I was in UTMB, I would be living in League City and the commute would be 25 minutes so commute would be much longer than in UTSW. Trying to figure out how to rank my preferences on TMDSAS before Jan 22.

I am wondering how y'all think about the following points of comparison for UTMB vs UTSW:
1. Better coursework to prepare for Step 1 and 2 - with an end goal of better flexibility for residency positions
4. Better meaningful networking opportunities, not sure if UTMB would be better since the faculty may have more time to spend per student.
5. More exposure to cutting-edge technology, medical devices, robotic surgery, etc.
6. Convenience, UTMB would be longer commute, but both have lecture streaming options.
7. Great grocery options

Prestige/rankings

Everyone has their reasons to choose one over the other, but please note I'm looking for specific advice/statistical data to make a well-informed decision unique for my personal situation here. Please share experience if you know the situation on either or both; thank you, I appreciate your help!
Sounds like you want UTSW over UTMB.

Also, location location location: if you want "to stay in major Texas cities," then UTSW in Dallas, because UTMB is on the island, not in Houston.

Members don't see this ad :)
The cost differentials are really pretty tiny, so I'd suggest dropping them from consideration.
Unless UTMB means living at home, which would be cheaper except for the commute part.
Yet you mention major Texas cities -- which neither League City nor Galveston are.

Great grocery options? :confused: OK then. Well I guess that's one way to pick a medical school...:whistle:

You don't care about prestige. That's nice. But kind of foolish since UTSW is Top 20 and UTMB is solidly mid tier. That's a big enough difference to affect your residency options.

You don't care about prestige. That's nice. But kind of foolish since UTSW is Top 20 and UTMB is solidly mid tier. That's a big enough difference to affect your residency options.

I was under the impression that prestige matters much less than Step 1 and 2 scores, grades, LOR, MSPE and it was a rather small bias, as compared to academia and law school. (Reference: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf)

My reasoning being: UTSW is more selective, therefore the folks in UTSW will get higher scores in the first place. I figured a better suited course structure would make a significant difference in terms of overall value, and its hard to figure out which one would work better. But then that's just what I imagine it would be like..

I want to understand - how did you come to the conclusion that prestige increases residency options?

Oh and yes, I feel sad that Dallas has no HEB and Galveston is lacking in grocery choices. Although Galveston does have better seafood options. They do matter to me. I am a passionate home chef and nutritionist. Grocery options is definitely somewhat important.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that prestige matters much less than Step 1 and 2 scores, grades, LOR, MSPE and it was a rather small bias, as compared to academia and law school. (Reference: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PD-Survey-Report-2014.pdf)

My reasoning being: UTSW is more selective, therefore the folks in UTSW will get higher scores in the first place. I figured a better suited course structure would make a significant difference in terms of overall value, and its hard to figure out which one would work better. But then that's just what I imagine it would be like..

I want to understand - how did you come to the conclusion that prestige increases residency options?

Oh and yes, I feel sad that Dallas has no HEB and Galveston is lacking in grocery choices. Although Galveston does have better seafood options. They do matter to me. I am a passionate home chef and nutritionist. Grocery options is definitely somewhat important.

It's not really about "coming to a conclusion" so much as it is being aware of a fact. School name matters. Prestigious schools typically have big name faculty and significant resources, which is very important come LOR time. Is prestige the only factor? No. But you're kidding yourself if you think it's not definitely important. Do yourself a favor and go to UTSW.

I've interviewed at both so I'll throw in my impressions.

UTSW is on the first year of a new curriculum. While I'm sure c.o. 2019 students are learning everything they need to know just fine and will continue to do well on STEP 1, there are still wrinkles with the new curriculum. M1's I met seemed a bit frustrated with some aspects of it. I think it takes a few years for everything to be completely settled. I haven't heard good things about the new TBL. UTMB's curriculum has been in use for a number of years. It's more "tried and true". That's not enough to sway my rankings, but others might prefer to not be somewhat of a guinea pig.

Grocery options -- while there is not an H-E-B on Galveston Island, there are a few in and around League City. If you have the option to live at home while attending UTMB, that could save a massive amount of money too.

I'd be wary of UTSW if you dislike the fuss about prestige and rankings. This was a large point of focus at my interview, especially their number of Nobel Laureates. It's definitely a source of pride for the school. One student compared the UTSW name to luxury brand clothing logos -- you wear it because it's cool.

You won't have to move around if you attend either school. I was told at my UTMB interview that if you want to stay in Galveston, you can for all 4 years. They won't send you to Austin/Houston.

Last edited:
Galveston is an armpit compared to Dallas.

7. Great grocery options

Prestige/rankings

Reactions: 1 user
While prestige matters its importance is relative to each individual person. I was accepted to UTSW along with 7 other schools in Texas but I am choosing UTHSCSA, why? Because I wanted to go to a school where I felt I could be the best person and student I could possibly be. Prestige didn't matter in my decision either, but if you choose UTMB you have to accept the fact that your choice may affect your residency options. Choose the best school that is a fit for you, and go with your gut. I know it sounds cliche.

Btw...I hated Galveston, so if I was in your exact situation then I would choose UTSW any day. I'm not about that island life, plus Dallas is way more tolerable then Galveston. UTSW is also cheaper (right?) with more research opportunities and cutting edge technology. Dallas traffic may suck, but commuting to Galveston will be just as bad. Also the volume and spectrum of patients (in regards to clinical experiences) is completely unparalleled to UTMB. Just my $0.02 :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
While prestige matters its importance is relative to each individual person. I was accepted to UTSW along with 7 other schools in Texas but I am choosing UTHSCSA, why? Because I wanted to go to a school where I felt I could be the best person and student I could possibly be. Prestige didn't matter in my decision either, but if you choose UTMB you have to accept the fact that your choice may affect your residency options. Choose the best school that is a fit for you, and go with your gut. I know it sounds cliche.

This. I also received II's from UTHSCSA and UTSW. UTSW is actually last on my list. I know it sounds crazy to lots of people but I had the same reasonings as Cookie04. Prestige also didn't matter to me much since I saw in El Paso (II there too) and San Antonio the resources I feel would get me where I need to be. I agree with Cookie04 that the matter of prestige is relative to an individual. For example I am primarily interested in primary care specialties/community health for underserved areas, especially for Mexican American community that I represent. El Paso and SA might not be highly ranked like UTSW, but I feel they cater to my goals better. Just my personal example.

OP, it sounds just from what you have written here that Dallas would have the edge over UTMB in your rankings based on your list. BTW, I totally understand the whole grocery thing. I'm also a very passionate home cook and love nutrition- I would think Dallas has a pretty awesome food scene yeah? And I thought Dallas has a Central Market which is my personal holy grail of grocery stores for cooks here in San Antonio.

Reactions: 1 user