Need advice on how to prepare for the SAT.

Symmetry11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my ESL cousin in HS is about to retake his SAT in August. I have advised him to focus on his weaknesses during the interim, such as reading comprehension. How else can he improve his score? His parents are considering a SAT course, what options does he have? Which has proven to be the best?

In sum, how can he raise his score to a point where universities will offer him a scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

Has he taken any practice SAT tests at his high school? For me, that is all I did to prep for the ACT (granted they are slightly different tests). I took it twice due to a low score my first time which I think was simply due to nerves. I did have friend who was a bad test taker who ended up taking a course and improved her score substantially (again, this is talking about the ACT, but I think ACT advice is applicable).

He has already taken the PSAT and SAT. He does not think he did well on the reading section. Which course would you recommend? Kaplan, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
He has already taken the PSAT and SAT. He does not think he did well on the reading section. Which course would you recommend? Kaplan, etc.
I'll see what class my friend took when they improved their score. Off the top of my head I would say Kaplan.

Personally, a private tutor (if you can afford it) is the best way to prep, as it is 1 on 1 help.

Just buy a prepbook. The SAT is about speed, not about long lasting knowledge. Sit down and go through an entire set of practice exams. That is what I did.
You will do great! The only reason I did bad the first time on my SAT is because I read wayyyy to slow.

Lots and lots of practice exams. Figure out what section or types of problems are giving you problems and focus on them.

Buy a prep book like McGraw Hill. Their book (in part) helped me to score a 2300. To do well, don't actually follow their schedule, but take some practice exams, and review the sections of the book that cover the types of problems that tend to confuse you.

Also be warned, a 2300 got me $0 worth of scholarship offers. Don't count on the SAT giving you any financial edge.

then what does give someone and edge on financial scholarships?

then what does give someone and edge on financial scholarships?
Applying/Committing to schools below your level
Being awesome
Being "special"
Anything that has the word "military" or "veteran" attached to it.

Applying/Committing to schools below your level
Being awesome
Being "special"
Anything that has the word "military" or "veteran" attached to it.
You forgot by far the largest one, be all or part minority (except Asian. Whatever you do, do NOT be Asian in college/grad school admissions)

Also be warned, a 2300 got me $0 worth of scholarship offers. Don't count on the SAT giving you any financial edge.

That's odd, my 231 PSAT automatically qualified me for a full ride to University of Oklahoma. There are definitely guaranteed cheap options for top percentile SAT/ACT scores. You probably only applied to elite mostly private schools?

That's odd, my 231 PSAT automatically qualified me for a full ride to University of Oklahoma. There are definitely guaranteed cheap options for top percentile SAT/ACT scores. You probably only applied to elite mostly private schools?
If you mean did I apply to schools well below my level, well, no.
I guess some of them may have given me a chance, but I wouldn't have wanted to attend them.

Oh, and since I broke you gigantic rule. (Don't be Asian) I was not very well liked at most places to begin with.

If you mean did I apply to schools well below my level, well, no.
I guess some of them may have given me a chance, but I wouldn't have wanted to attend them.

Oh, and since I broke you gigantic rule. (Don't be Asian) I was not very well liked at most places to begin with.
There's your problem - a top 1% score gets you all sorts of enticements from Big State as well as decent LACs. I also didn't want to attend anywhere I'd be way above average, but I certainly would have if Top 20's didn't also offer me full-tuition and full-rides.

Well hey just work on the Asian thing during college, try to fix it before medical apps roll around. Or else score a few deciles higher than you should need to ;)

Barron's books and Official Guide to the SATs got me a decent score. I just realized I took the SAT 5 years ago, wow time flies by! :thinking:

All I remember is I improved my psat score by 300+ points.

So my ESL cousin in HS is about to retake his SAT in August. I have advised him to focus on his weaknesses during the interim, such as reading comprehension. How else can he improve his score? His parents are considering a SAT course, what options does he have? Which has proven to be the best?

In sum, how can he raise his score to a point where universities will offer him a scholarship?

It all really depends on the work ethic of your cousin. If he's the type of student who can't create his own schedule or lacks motivation/work ethic, an SAT course would definitely be beneficial to him in raising his SAT score.

On the other hand, if he's a student who is disciplined and has a strong work ethic, I would advise you to spend money on SAT books instead (Kaplan, TPR, Barrons), rather than on SAT classes...this will also save you tons of $$$. He should create a schedule where he is taking and reviewing a full SAT practice test on the weekends, while taking a 1 full length SAT section during the weekday( alternating each day with math/CR/writing). Practicing every day is the key in doing well on SAT, and he should be seeing a rise on his mental endurance and on his practice SAT scores every week. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

#1) It's all in the title. Don't use a period when there should be a question mark. :) :p