Need Advice on Possible Reapplicant Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosierguy35

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a white male
cGPA: 3.78
sGPA: 3.71
MCAT: 502 (PC 125/CR 124/Bio 127/Psych 126)
State of residence: Indiana
Major: Biology w/ Chemistry, Spanish, and Psychology Minors
Clinical Experience: 30 Hours in Emergency Room, Volunteered in a Nursing Home (30 hours)
Shadowing: 20 hours of an orthopedic surgeon
Research: 400 hours working on increasing genomic modification efficiency; National Presentation; 4th author; manuscript in progress
Extracurriculars: Served as Academic Advisor in fraternity (100 hours), Camp counselor (40 hours), Children's hospital fundraising volunteer (100 hours)
LOR: 2 Professors; 1 MD/PHD whose lab I worked in
Employment: Manufactured medical respiratory devices for 2 summers (1000 hours)
Other: Currently 3 years cancer free; It was a significant life experience that really motivated me to pursue medicine and is the main topic of my personal statement

I know my MCAT score will probably hold me back a little, but I was going to apply to some MD schools this cycle since my GPA is competitive. Would it be ok to give it a shot and apply this cycle? Do adcoms look differently at students who reapply? I would prefer to pursue MD and apply to IU this year since I am an IS applicant. Are there any others schools that are worth applying to with my stats?

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Do adcoms look differently at students who reapply?

Generally speaking yes schools look at reapplicants differently. There is often a burden on a reapplicant to show significant improvement on a reapplication that might not otherwise have been necessary for a first time app. The effect being a reapp can have is variable and debated but it's not a net positive one.

Bottom line don't plan on becoming a reapplicant and just make things more complicated/harder for yourself.

You know where your problem area is. Indiana is a good state for MD admission but the average MD matriculant from Indy is at 31.3. You're over a SD below that. While your chances at IU aren't zero, they aren't high enough that I would endorse a apply just to see what happens strategy. Best bet to me in this case is wait a year take the time you need to prep for an MCAT retake and boost the other parts of your app. Your clinical exp is also on the light side which waiting another year would really help with.

Reactions: 1 user