Need Advice on Reapplying (Lots of Different Factors)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocScorp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, but finally need some direct advice because I'm reapplying this year. I applied last year as an African American male URM with a 3.1 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 25 MCAT (6PS,10VR,9BS) and was verified by AMCAS on Sept 24 (committee letter took forever to be sent) and got all my secondaries out by mid-October. Applied to 30+ schools, only MD, got one interview invite then they rejected me too. Made alot of mistakes during that application process.

This time around I'm limiting my schools down to my stats, applying DO, and applying alot earlier. Last year, I didn't have any shadowing or clinical experience and I had a C, W (retake), C (retake) in Orgo II. Not to mention a C in cell biology and developmental biology due to a very unfocused soph year (part of junior year too) where my mentor passed. I ended on a decent upward trend, good enough to get my GPA out from under 3.0 but that's not saying much with a 3.1.

This time around, I have my app submitted and expect to be verified late July and have all my secondaries sent back early August. I have over a 1000 hours clinical experience working as a medical assistant, 30 hours shadowing a cosmetic surgeon, and 40 hours shadowing a pediatrician. I'm taking Anatomy right now (grades back Mid-August) and Orgo II and Cell Bio over the fall (grades back late December). I'm taking all courses at a Community College to save some money.

My updated stats are:
3.1cGPA, 3.0sGPA, 25MCAT still.
70 total hours shadowing
2000 hours biomedical research (two presentations, one award, one publication)
1140 hours clinical experience (medical assistant)
30 hours non-medical volunteering
200 hours leadership role (black student association secretary)
Lots of other non-medical, artistic ventures

DO Schools: Touro-NY, LUCOM, Campbell, Alabama, UP-KCOM, LECOM, LMU, EVCOM-Va, NSU, Western-Pacific NW, PCOM, WCUCOM, PCOM-Ga
MD Schools: Michigan State, Howard, Meharry, Morehouse, Temple, Drexel, Duke, Oakland, Indiana, Alabama, Maryland, VCU

I just wanted to know if applying earlier and taking the classes will be enough and will the grades coming back in December play any role? I originally had Cell Bio also for this summer to get grades for both by Mid-August so it helps with the grade replacement for DO, but my schedule didn't allow for me to take both (which kind of worries me because I already have my primary sent in and its listed as a future summer course).

Also, should I take Cell Bio or will continuing with Anatomy be a better decision come fall? There's but so much repair two/three classes can do for my GPA, so I wonder if going higher level is better than retake? Does retaking at a CC work against me? Will reapplying hurt my chances at the school that gave me the interview? Any schools on my list that I should avoid? Any advice would be really appreciated. I know I don't have the strongest stats, but I'm really hoping for the best with the changes.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Consider adding UCLA-Drew, and U WV (one of my African-American "advisees" from FL was accepted into there). Wake Forest, Tulane and Loyola should be considered, plus your state school(s).

I'm always a fan of taking Anatomy.

I can't recommend LUCOM.

[deleted]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Consider adding UCLA-Drew, and U WV (one of my African-American "advisees" from FL was accepted into there). Wake Forest, Tulane and Loyola should be considered, plus your state school(s).

I'm always a fan of taking Anatomy.

I can't recommend LUCOM.

Really? I thought all California schools would be either too competitive or IS-specific for me to have a shot. And I applied to my state school and will definitely be looking into Loyola and Tulane but I applied to Wake Forest last year and got rejected pre-secondary unfortunately. I don't think my stats match up too well there. But, I only added LUCOM cause I'm from the DMV area, so I basically applied to everything near me; bad idea?

And I'll stick with Anatomy for another semester instead of retaking Cell then.

Well, UCLA-Drew is a HBC!

Really? I thought all California schools would be either too competitive or IS-specific for me to have a shot. And I applied to my state school and will definitely be looking into Loyola and Tulane but I applied to Wake Forest last year and got rejected pre-secondary unfortunately. I don't think my stats match up too well there. But, I only added LUCOM cause I'm from the DMV area, so I basically applied to everything near me; bad idea?

Well, UCLA-Drew is a HBC!
ye8fth

There are several other DO schools where you have a chance for an interview with your stats:
MU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
WVSOM
BCOM

There has been no increase in the number of black men applying to medical school in the last 30 years.
Only 515 matriculated in MD schools last year. In 1978 there were 542.
You are a precious commodity.

Will do! Thanks for the support and advice, its really appreciated.

watch out for sub zero

He doesn't want any of these problems! :laugh:

watch out for sub zero

But guys, I've run into another issue and would appreciate any advice. I enrolled for the A&P II course along with Orgo II, but recently took a family trip for one week. In this week, I missed a lab practical worth a ninth of my grade, a quiz, and two 3hr lectures and now, I have another lecture exam tomorrow. I can cram my life away and study all day today and hopefully do okay on the exam, but even still, that's not the bulk of my issue. My professor adheres adamantly to his syllabus, which states that there will be no make-up quizzes, exams, or lab practicals. Over the span of the trip, I missed one practical (100/900 points) and one quiz (20/900 points) and have the exam tomorrow (100/900 points). I want to drop the class and take a W, but I don't know how that would look to adcoms after listing the courses on my ACMAS and on alot of my secondary essays. Should I just stick with it and fight through the class or drop now and take the chance with how it will look. Any advice is appreciated, thanks ahead of time!

He doesn't want any of these problems! :laugh:

But guys, I've run into another issue and would appreciate any advice. I enrolled for the A&P II course along with Orgo II, but recently took a family trip for one week. In this week, I missed a lab practical worth a ninth of my grade, a quiz, and two 3hr lectures and now, I have another lecture exam tomorrow. I can cram my life away and study all day today and hopefully do okay on the exam, but even still, that's not the bulk of my issue. My professor adheres adamantly to his syllabus, which states that there will be no make-up quizzes, exams, or lab practicals. Over the span of the trip, I missed one practical (100/900 points) and one quiz (20/900 points) and have the exam tomorrow (100/900 points). I want to drop the class and take a W, but I don't know how that would look to adcoms after listing the courses on my ACMAS and on alot of my secondary essays. Should I just stick with it and fight through the class or drop now and take the chance with how it will look. Any advice is appreciated, thanks ahead of time!

Well Ochem 2 is a pre-req for many schools still(you can check and see the ones where it's required from where you applied). Do you plan on taking it next semester if you take the W? Will you have time to take it again in the spring? ADCOMs won't see this grade this application cycle, you already applied, unless there is a school that asks for academic updates on any new grades say at an interview or to interviewed applicants along the way(I haven't heard of this but it could be possible).

Now the key question which I don't know the answer to is how an ADCOM will look at a W in pre-req for someone who has been accepted and then reports their transcript as proof of graduation and proof of finishing pre-reqs, even if on the 2nd attempt they do well. Is a W considered an F in this situation and perhaps a grounds for revoking an acceptance for poor performance? I'd be surprised if it is but this is all speculation on my part I have no idea and it's worth asking an ADCOM. What I would feel more comfortable saying is that 1 C in a pre-req if you get accepted and have to submit a final transcript probably won't be grounds for any kind of revoking of acceptance, although again this is all variable and there are no absolutes/guarantees.

The direct answer to your question is there is no simple answer here. Maybe the simplest thing is to simply take the exam tomorrow, see how it goes, and if it is a bad showing withdraw.

This is not the behavior we expect out of students dedicated to a lifetime of commitment to service!
You need to get priorities straight and fast.
You can't afford losing easy points.
This is disappointing.

Reactions: 3 users
The direct answer to your question is there is no simple answer here. Maybe the simplest thing is to simply take the exam tomorrow, see how it goes, and if it is a bad showing withdraw.

I ended up taking this advice and then withdrawing. I contacted some universities because I was worried and they told me it shouldn't impact my application too adversely so I'm feeling a little better about it. I'm doing really well in my OChem II retake and I'm feeling alot better about the application cycle this time around but I still haven't gotten any II's and it's been over three months since I've been verified (Aug. 3) and over two months since I got all my secondaries in (Sept 3) - I didn't have any secondary for longer than 2 weeks. Still though, I haven't gotten any interview invites.

I don't know if my stats are strong enough for me to even be surprised by this but it's just starting to look like last year all over again and that has me really worried. I've gotten rejected from Duke, VCU, LUCOM, Campbell, WVU, & Indiana pre-secondary and Nova State, UMD, and Western U post-secondary so far. I got waitlisted at Michigan State post-secondary but that's the closest thing to "good news" that I've heard. I just wanted to ask if its too early to be panicking or if patience is still a virtue with stats like mine? I just don't want to spend months hopelessly waiting instead of coming up with a 'backup plan' or actively doing something to better my chances (besides class & research). Any advice is appreciated.

WHOA! First II of this cycle to Meharry literally a DAY after I posted the message above! God is sooooooo good :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
I just don't want to spend months hopelessly waiting instead of coming up with a 'backup plan' or actively doing something to better my chances (besides class & research). Any advice is appreciated.

You don't ever wait. You're ALWAYS doing something to better your chances, better yourself, and better the lives of those around you. I don't know anyone in medical school who simply said, "yeah I think this might be good enough. I'll just wait and see how it goes." We're constantly improving ourselves; constantly trying to learn just one more disease, log one more hour in the clinic, spending hours and hours in the library for just one more point. My attendings tell me every day that they are learning something everyday. They are bettering themselves every day. If you think there's something else you could be doing, then do it. If you don't think there's anything else you can do to improve yourself, then ask someone because you can and should always be getting better. If not for yourself, then for the patients, that God willing, you'll one day have the honor to serve. Congrats on the secondary man. Kill it.

You don't ever wait. You're ALWAYS doing something to better your chances, better yourself, and better the lives of those around you. I don't know anyone in medical school who simply said, "yeah I think this might be good enough. I'll just wait and see how it goes." We're constantly improving ourselves; constantly trying to learn just one more disease, log one more hour in the clinic, spending hours and hours in the library for just one more point. My attendings tell me every day that they are learning something everyday. They are bettering themselves every day. If you think there's something else you could be doing, then do it. If you don't think there's anything else you can do to improve yourself, then ask someone because you can and should always be getting better. If not for yourself, then for the patients, that God willing, you'll one day have the honor to serve. Congrats on the interview man. Kill it.

Thanks, I will! I think I'll add some more volunteer time on top of the research and class, too. ;)

Reactions: 1 user