Need advice..planning to take step 1 in a week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cht7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I really need help for Usmle step 1. My scores have not improved. I have studied First aid extensively and did USMLE world questions bank (multiple times).

My scores:
UWSA 2 201
UWSA 1 206
NBME form 7 198
NBME form 6 196

I am planning to take the exam next week. Is there any way to improve my score by next week? Will be enough for passing? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have great difficulty with physiology and pathology according to NBME forms. Should I watch kaplan videos or read just First Aid for the last week? Please help!! Any strategies? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I will keep studying First Aid. Should I keep doing questions or assessments as well?

i would say if you have studied FA extensively as you say you did and still your NBMEs show that you are weak in Physio and Path that means there is some lack of understanding the concepts.

If you have a chance to push it back another couple of weeks I think its worth your time to hit Kaplan physio and make sure you understand the concept.

Remember FA is an outline which is great for students who need REVIEWING. But if your NBMEs consitently show that you are weak in certain fields that means you need to hit another book that gives you a more in depth explanation. Clearly FA is not working out for you. Why take a chance even if you want to "just pass"

Gluck.

Thanks. I will keep studying First Aid. Should I keep doing questions or assessments as well?

Maybe a block of questions a night? If you have the opportunity, you could delay your test also. Otherwise, focus on FA for the next week. Definitely no more practice tests (unless you decide to delay).

i would say if you have studied FA extensively as you say you did and still your NBMEs show that you are weak in Physio and Path that means there is some lack of understanding the concepts.

If you have a chance to push it back another couple of weeks I think its worth your time to hit Kaplan physio and make sure you understand the concept.

Remember FA is an outline which is great for students who need REVIEWING. But if your NBMEs consitently show that you are weak in certain fields that means you need to hit another book that gives you a more in depth explanation. Clearly FA is not working out for you. Why take a chance even if you want to "just pass"

Gluck.

I haven't taken step 1 yet (disclaimer) but I think this post makes some good points. Also, I have heard that many people like Goljan audio for path. I would recommended Goljan's Rapid Review as well, but the book is a little dense and so some might look into BRS Path for a more quick read if time is a big issue.