Need Advice Please...SGU Medical Student looking to get into DO school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are good and bad to both. You seem to have a good chance at the post bacc, but you are probably going to retake the MCAT right? If you get accepted, you will murder the competition, and afterwards success tends to build on itself.

I am slightly inclined to going to the post bac route. Both options are not ideal, but if you can do well on your MCAT you don't have to put all your eggs in that one DO school post bacc, maybe others will bite.

Thank you everyone for the continued advice. At present, I am leaning towards to the post-bac. I have spoken to friends from SGU, and I heard that roughly 10% of term 2 students failed out, and with term 4 (notorious for being one of the more difficult terms at SGU) looming, more are expected to fail out. This is not a reason that is contributing to my decision in leaning towards the post-bac, but it puts things in perspective. Moreover, to confirm the success of master's students successfully matriculating to that particular DO school, I emailed admissions of the masters program and was told that I would need to perform well, i.e. A's and B's in all classes while in the program. Moreover, with relation to last year's class, 56 students received their interview. Out of the 56, 93% were offered a seat. 5 students did not get an interview because they fell below the 3.0 GPA requirement. 4 students were denied after interviewing due to a low MCAT or poor performance in the following semester. Out of the 9 students, 6 returned to repeat courses in hopes of gaining admission to the medical school in the following semester. Thus far, 1 has been accepted, 4 are still waiting for a decision and 1 has been denied.

I hope this helps clarify some questions. Thanks in advance!

What program is this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the post bacc and don't look back.

The scam of the caribbean is real folks. I had a friend make it all the way to 4th year and SGU denied her from taking Step 2 due to "subpar clinical acumen" effictively ending her medical career just after the 4th tuition check cleared.

This is BS. I can argue this on several levels, but even if what you said was to be true at face value, the fact that she was dismissed right after a 4th year check cleared has no bearings on anything or a "scam" since students who do not have the full portion of a cycle of third or 4th year rotations will have the unused portion returned to the government. Stop spreading rumors.

OP, you're still making a good decision to do a post-bacc first.

This is BS. I can argue this on several levels, but even if what you said was to be true at face value, the fact that she was dismissed right after a 4th year check cleared has no bearings on anything or a "scam" since students who do not have the full portion of a cycle of third or 4th year rotations will have the unused portion returned to the government. Stop spreading rumors.

OP, you're still making a good decision to do a post-bacc first.

Putting aside the tuition, any school that prevents a 4th year who passed clinical rotations from taking Step 2 is running a scam.

Reactions: 1 users
Based on my research, those who maintain a 3.0 GPA are guaranteed an interview for their DO school, and out of those who interview, 90-95% get accepted into the DO school. I would imagine the odds are pretty good, wouldn't you agree?
Any chance this is LECOM post bacc?

Putting aside the tuition, any school that prevents a 4th year who passed clinical rotations from taking Step 2 is running a scam.

As I mentioned in my post, the situation is highly unlikely to have actually occurred. If evaluations were that poor for a student, they would not be passing clinical rotations. Further, the school can recommend people take a course, but I have never heard and don't even believe it to be possible for them to stop you from taking Step 2. Once you leave basic sciences and get your clinical placement, there isn't much you have to do with the school outside of scheduling 4th year electives. The only thing I can possibly think of is that the student may have had consistently poor evaluations, with or without actually failing a rotation, which if combined with a basic sciences history of lack of professionalism or other issue, made the school decide to dismiss her.

I don't see anything wrong with dismissing a student who is in 4th year if they will be a terrible physician. Some people slip through the cracks and can BS their way through to things until it is time to interact with patients and actually perform in a clinical setting. If a person isn't fit to be a physician, they don't deserve that degree. Normally I empathize with someone who fails out of SGU or does not match because it is quite expensive. However, it is very difficult to get POOR evaluations unless you really don't care about medicine at all and do the bare minimum, so to me I can't relate to someone who was dismissed for consistently being subpar or was found to have some type of personality/ethical issue that clearly was not conducive to the person being a competent physician.

Reactions: 1 user