Need advice pleeease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twin20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello-
I am brand new to this forum and this is my very first posting. I justed need some advice from anyone. I apllied to US med schools for this fall 2006 and have yet to have an interview(obviously not a good sign). I applied really early too. I am more than sure it has to do with my bad MCAT score of 11 bio, 5 verbal, 8 physical, R writing. I figured my first verbal score of 7 (still not great) would have taken into some consideration. i graduated cum laude, phi beta cappa from UCI, have ahd a research fellowship, clinical experience, volunteer work, and a publication. Out of frustraion I decided to apply to a few special master's programs (barry university, EVMS, and Boston U)and to SGU in the carribean. so far I have been accepted to Barry and have been granted an interview at SGU. I know the whole stigam behind carribean schools but I am already almost 27 years ols. What should I do? Should I , if accepted go to SGU or should do all I can to stay in the US? Honestly I would hate to take the McAT a third time.

Members don't see this ad.

twin20 said:
hello-
I am brand new to this forum and this is my very first posting. I justed need some advice from anyone. I apllied to US med schools for this fall 2006 and have yet to have an interview(obviously not a good sign). I applied really early too. I am more than sure it has to do with my bad MCAT score of 11 bio, 5 verbal, 8 physical, R writing. I figured my first verbal score of 7 (still not great) would have taken into some consideration. i graduated cum laude, phi beta cappa from UCI, have ahd a research fellowship, clinical experience, volunteer work, and a publication. Out of frustraion I decided to apply to a few special master's programs (barry university, EVMS, and Boston U)and to SGU in the carribean. so far I have been accepted to Barry and have been granted an interview at SGU. I know the whole stigam behind carribean schools but I am already almost 27 years ols. What should I do? Should I , if accepted go to SGU or should do all I can to stay in the US? Honestly I would hate to take the McAT a third time.

If I were you, I would take a Kaplan MCAT course and take the MCAT one more time. You graduated Cum Laude from a good school so you're obviously smart enough to do well, you just haven't gotten the hang of taking these standardized multiple choice exams and that's what Kaplan will teach you. Good luck.

You definitely need to work on that verbal score. The bio score is good. PS is decent and could be improved up to a 9 or a 10. I suggest you take some time and really hit some serious lit to boost up your verbal score. I suggest ExamKrackers, their verbal is some of the best strategy I've ever seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give it one more year with another crack at the MCAT. I agree that the score CAN be raised and that more than likely, it is your low MCAT score that has caused you your major problem. Also, since you may be a resident of California, look into establishing residency elsewhere. I read about this on another thread, or maybe someone else knows whether or not it is possible.
With good luck and hard work, hopefully you will have an acceptance by this time next year.

twin20 said:
hello-
I am brand new to this forum and this is my very first posting. I justed need some advice from anyone. I apllied to US med schools for this fall 2006 and have yet to have an interview(obviously not a good sign). I applied really early too. I am more than sure it has to do with my bad MCAT score of 11 bio, 5 verbal, 8 physical, R writing.

Obviously its your MCAT thats getting you screened out. If you want to give it one more crack go for it. Also consider adding Osteopathic, Irish, or Australian schools to the mix along with SGU. There is nothing wrong with SGU but if it is just the blasted MCAT keeping you out of med school, try to improve that. 27 is still young. I think 28 is the perfect age to attend med school.