MD need advice: schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mg1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys- I am still finalizing my school list(although I've already had my app verified), and I want to make sure I've come up with a balanced list. My goal has been to match each reach school with a school at which I am quite competitive. Any suggestions on insertions/deletions to this list would be greatly appreciated.

school: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
gpa- 3.78 cumulative, 3.72 BCPM, 3.86 AO
mcat- 30 (10/10/10)

Recs: I anticipate very solid ones from an english professor and an MD/PhD(my PI) and adequate ones from my orgo 2 professor and physio professor

Activities/Research overview:

-200 hours at homeless shelter medical clinic(served as basis of my personal statement, in which I expressed how this experience showed me the human side of medicine and instilled in me a desire to assist the underserved in my future career)
-one summer of volunteering in an endocrinology lab at brown(420 hours)
-about 3 years continuous research at UM endocrinology lab(one summer with an American Heart Association Fellowship)--> my work here has been extensive and led to several publication figures(paper is under review at Nature and we just recently submitted some extra experiments they suggested we do, so I did not list this on my app at this time).
- 60 hours physician shadowing(emergency med and pediatric nephrology)
- 50 hours hospital volunteering(hospital book cart)
-140 hours tutoring General Chemistry(employee of the university's science learning center)
-Also put recreational ice Hockey League and Weight Training

Schools List(I put reach schools at the end):

University of Massachusetts (my residency state)
Temple
Thomas Jefferson
University of Vermont
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Loyola
Rush
Tufts
Oakland University
Michigan State
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wayne State
New York Medical College
Boston University
Mayo
Mount Sinai
New York University
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Brown
University of Michigan
Columbia
Cornell
Harvard

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I see 14 schools where you could reasonably be considered for an interview. That should be enough but you could add 2 new schools (Quinnipiac and Western Michigan) and St. Louis and Creighton.
All the schools starting with Mayo are reaches.

Reactions: 1 users