NEED ADVICE! SHOULD I DROP ORGANIC 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FUTUREPHARMACIST

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a sophomore pre-pharmacy major. I took Organic 1 last January and made a D because I slacked off on studying. I then took the class again the following summer (around 4-5 weeks long) and made a B, but I didn't really learn the reactions well. I'm in org. 2 now. Should I drop the class and take org. 1 again to really learn the reactions or should I stay in org. 2 and just review from org. 1? Has anyone else passed org.2 with an A without having a good foundation in org. 1? HELP, ADVICE NEEDED!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm surprised that your school allowed you to take Orgo 2 with a below average grade in Orgo 1. For example, UNC requires that students pass the pre-requisite class with a C- or greater.

Since Orgo 2 builds on the knowledge that you learned in Orgo 1, you should retake Orgo 1 this semester.

No I was I the same situation as you and orgo 2 is very different from orgo 1 in my opinion why take again when you've passed

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised that your school allowed you to take Orgo 2 with a below average grade in Orgo 1. For example, UNC requires that students pass the pre-requisite class with a C- or greater.

Since Orgo 2 builds on the knowledge that you learned in Orgo 1, you should retake Orgo 1 this semester.

After making a D in org. 1 I retook it and made a B. Now i'm in org.2

You got a B on the retake. Don't waste your time and money retaking again.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you made a B in your second attempt, there's no real point in retaking the class. However, if you don't know the reactions well, you could be in for some trouble in Orgo 2. Study the reactions hard while learning the new stuff since most professors assume that you know Orgo 1 material already so that implied knowledge can appear on your Orgo 2 exams.

Orgo 2 was very different from Orgo 1 so def. don't retake. Just focus on orgo 2 and study smart.

Orgo 2 was very different from Orgo 1 so def. don't retake. Just focus on orgo 2 and study smart.
If you're having trouble I reccomend Organic as a Second language. Get both books and work problems related to your current material. They saved me.

Organic chemistry 2 builds on all the reactions you learned from organic 1 and more. I would retake that class and make sure you finish it with complete understanding because you will not do well in organic 2 without having a solid organic 1 foundation.

If you're having trouble I reccomend Organic as a Second language. Get both books and work problems related to your current material. They saved me.
I second this. Ochem as a second language was my science bible for two semesters. I would of never done as well as I did in ochem were it not for those little gems.

Yes I found Orgo 2 was very different from Orgo 1 and watching khan academy helped tremendously and other videos online. My second semester in pharmacy school is based on orgo 2 so pay attention to structures and such.

For me, I thought Orgo 2 was easier than Orgo 1.

Thanks! I heard great things about Organic as a Second Language. If it's that great, I'm definitely buying it!

This. We used this at Campbell, I made a B in both organics, but high A's on the tests. My lab grade was terrible...