Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hantis22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore going into my junior year and have recently decided to aim for med school. Just looking for any advice on extra curricular activities, or other ways to build a stronger résumé.
As of now I have a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.4 sGPA. Over the next two years I hope to make significant increases in both those numbers.
I take my MCAT in January, I've been doing light studying over the summer and plan on continuing that study schedule on top of my fall semester.
I'm enrolled in biochem, physics 1, and animal physiology for this upcoming semester in hopes that these classes will bulk my background knowledge for the MCAT.
I know it's hard to say without a MCAT score, however any advice concerning chances at med school or any study advice for the test itself would be great.

*Considering both MD and DO schools

Members don't see this ad.

You won't have taken physics 2 before your MCAT? I really don't recommend this.

I have sat in on a physics two class and plan on reviewing material on my own. However, I have not technically taken the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you taken AP Physics in high school? I personally think that E&M is pretty difficult material to self-learn, especially if you've never seen it before, but maybe others will have more insight.

I took physics and I passed but I didn't fully understand the material and now it's totally coming back to bite me on the MCAT physics review. I'd really recommend taking physics II because there are so many topics that you simply won't be able to learn in a prep class, let alone learn by yourself.

Thanks for the insight with physics. Does anyone have any advice in regards to my original question?

Not sure what you're looking for here. I'm fairly certain that a < 3.5 cGPA is not considered competitive, and you already indicated that you're planning to work on increasing this GPA -- as it stands right now, it's impossible to say what your chances are. SDN is filled with wisdom if you just go through the threads. Get in that clinical volunteering, shadowing, research experiences if possible. Engage with your community/find something you're passionate about, and make it shine!