Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. This is my first time posting on this website. I'm not exactly sure where I should start but here I go. I currently attend NYIT in Old Westbury, NY. I started college in 2011 and I should be graduating summer 2015. As college started I never took the classes seriously. I did terrible in classes that were hard. The classes that were easy or the ones that I was really fluent in (mostly biology related) I did really well in, like A, B+ or B. I use the word “well” because even those classes I didn’t take seriously. I did terrible in math, chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry (we’re talking an D and Cs). When I look back now I see that back then I had the high school mentality towards learning and I really didn’t want to go to college at that time. But I have no excuses for getting those kinds of grades. At the end of sophomore year my GPA was around 2.7.

So I promised myself that starting junior year I would spend more time on my education. But over the summer vacation (we’re taking early August) I ended up being involved in a scam and lost most of my saving (my money and my parent’s money). I went into severe depression after that incident and didn’t recover for a while. By the time my fall semester ended for junior year my GPA was 2.46. But at the start of my spring semester I got over most of my depression and started focusing on my education. I ended my spring semester with a 3.23 GPA, and my overall GPA went to 2.56. It was nothing to smile about but it was something. I’m a senior now and I have no clue as to what I need to do and I need to figure out something. Right now I’m taking human phys, embryology, bio research, communication of healthcare and an elective. I’m aiming for a 3.5 GPA this semester.

For next semester I’m taking micro, phys 2, calc 2, ecology and I’m aiming for a 3.5 GPA as well. I know screwed up, and I know I screwed up beyond what’s acceptable. But I won’t give up and I know I can do this but I just don’t know how. I don’t know what I need to do on from this point. I’m trying to volunteer for an EMT near my fire station. I have been in Winthrop ER for about 3 years now and I’m not in any college clubs. My question is should I precede with graduating in summer 2015 or should I stay an extra semester to increase my GPA. If I shouldn’t stay should I try an academic enhancer post bacc program? By the time I finish my undergraduate course I will be in $140,000 debt =(. So please, I really need an advice as to what I should do. Thank you for taking your time to read this and best of luck with everything. Sorry in advance for any grammar errors.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys. This is my first time posting on this website. I'm not exactly sure where I should start but here I go. I currently attend NYIT in Old Westbury, NY. I started college in 2011 and I should be graduating summer 2015. As college started I never took the classes seriously. I did terrible in classes that were hard. The classes that were easy or the ones that I was really fluent in (mostly biology related) I did really well in, like A, B+ or B. I use the word “well” because even those classes I didn’t take seriously. I did terrible in math, chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry (we’re talking an D and Cs). When I look back now I see that back then I had the high school mentality towards learning and I really didn’t want to go to college at that time. But I have no excuses for getting those kinds of grades. At the end of sophomore year my GPA was around 2.7. So I promised myself that starting junior year I would spend more time on my education. But over the summer vacation (we’re taking early August) I ended up being involved in a scam and lost most of my saving (my money and my parent’s money). I went into severe depression after that incident and didn’t recover for a while. By the time my fall semester ended for junior year my GPA was 2.46. But at the start of my spring semester I got over most of my depression and started focusing on my education. I ended my spring semester with a 3.23 GPA, and my overall GPA went to 2.56. It was nothing to smile about but it was something. I’m a senior now and I have no clue as to what I need to do and I need to figure out something. Right now I’m taking human phys, embryology, bio research, communication of healthcare and an elective. I’m aiming for a 3.5 GPA this semester. For next semester I’m taking micro, phys 2, calc 2, ecology and I’m aiming for a 3.5 GPA as well. I know screwed up, and I know I screwed up beyond what’s acceptable. But I won’t give up and I know I can do this but I just don’t know how. I don’t know what I need to do on from this point. I’m trying to volunteer for an EMT near my fire station. I have been in Winthrop ER for about 3 years now and I’m not in any college clubs. My question is should I precede with graduating in summer 2015 or should I stay an extra semester to increase my GPA. If I shouldn’t stay should I try an academic enhancer post bacc program? By the time I finish my undergraduate course I will be in $140,000 debt =(. So please, I really need an advice as to what I should do. Thank you for taking your time to read this and best of luck with everything. Sorry in advance for any grammar errors.
Please edit and add paragraphing. Your wall of text is intimidating.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to need to retake a crap ton of classes.

DO med schools allow for grade forgiveness when you retake a class for the same credits or better. They only include the most recent grade when they calculate your application GPA. Retakes don't need to be a the same school. And DO schools are more open to (cheaper) community college classes.

Plan to retake any prerequisite class in which you earned a C or below (some would say a C- or below) or which you didn't master well enough to do well on the MCAT.

Aiming for a 3.5 is aiming for a B average. You need an A average at this point. Retake for DO is feasible but it sounds as if you'd have to retake a lot of classes and with that amount of debt already, you'd need very careful planning. Don't get in more debt for the same outcome. Make sure you get A's.