Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferrario

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a trouble and want to ask advice . I'm 22 years old young dentist just graduated from not-us d-school. Due to some circumstances i need to work in my country for 2 years in federal clinic, after that i'm going to immigrate US (I have GC). Also one practice owner in my country introduce me to work in his clinic and teach me the same time, but if I will not leave him and will work for many years. Associate dentist working with him now (he works already for 9 years) has average income 4-6k after taxes. So I have a chance after some years to start earning this kind of money.
I prepare for board exams now. But I really confused and don't know what to do. If I'll go to US in 2 years, 3 more years in best way to enter and graduate int. dent. degree program, so at 27-30 I can be a US dentist and have to pay loan for education. Or instead work in my country and have near 4k after taxes in some years. Practice owner can have here 10-15k after taxes, but we have no practice loans so it's harder to make practice here. Not everyone can do this even at 45. Also if I'll not go to USA my GC will dissapear.

I know that this is only my decision, but it's hard for me to choose. I am very interested to know opinion of U.S. dentist. Is there a reason for me to go to the US or no?

Thank you for attention and future answers.

Members don't see this ad.

4-6k per what? Week? Month? What country are you practicing in? Answering this question is hard because I'm not that familiar with the dental environment in other countries, so I can't compare pros and cons of moving here to practice. International programs will set you back a lot of money - I don't know if this is the case everywhere but I know my school is moving toward a 4 year program for international students, and won't be offering the two year anymore.

4-6k per what? Week? Month? What country are you practicing in? Answering this question is hard because I'm not that familiar with the dental environment in other countries, so I can't compare pros and cons of moving here to practice. International programs will set you back a lot of money - I don't know if this is the case everywhere but I know my school is moving toward a 4 year program for international students, and won't be offering the two year anymore.
4-6k per month. 4 years is too long... a lot of d-schools have 2 year programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Look, you are going to shock everyone here with those salaries. To say shortly the average US dentist salary is $143,000, but those are statistics, so I give you the example of a couple of international graduates salaries instead. The one, who loves his work and is good at it makes $300,ooo a year and another, who hates it found a job making $100,000 a year. Both are associates in a group practice - they do not own their business

Look, you are going to shock everyone here with those salaries. To say shortly the average US dentist salary is $143,000, but those are statistics, so I give you the example of a couple of international graduates salaries instead. The one, who loves his work and is good at it makes $300,ooo a year and another, who hates it found a job making $100,000 a year. Both are associates in a group practice - they do not own their business
Thank you for the answer.

Last edited: