Need Advise, 3.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arsn14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've graduated already but my GPA is about 3.0, I would like help/advise on what I can/could do next. I'm not sure how to go about getting into medical school with such a low GPA.

My main concern is my GPA, I would like to raise it but since I've graduated I'm not sure what is my best bet. Should I go into a post-bacc program? or should I retake my classes I got a C in? Or should I go into a Master's program?

My question with the post-bacc is will it be helpful? will it help my gpa considerably enough to matter? And someone was mentioning that I look into a nursing program. But would that really help my GPA? I don't think it will, but not sure.

Since my GPA is low, I didn't know if my only option was a Caribbean school. I'm trying to find all the options available so I can start taking the right steps to get me into a good spot to apply to schools.

I really want to know what are my options for my GPA, should i do a post bacc? masters program? what other options do I have?

ALSO, if I get at mid 30 on my MCAT, say around 34-35, with a GPA of 3.0 do I stand a chance of making it into a medical school in the states?

I'm located in Kansas but if you have any out of state options please let me know.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Members don't see this ad.

DO : Retake low grades till your gpa ( Sci + Cum) Are around a 3.3 or higher. Get an mcat of 28+.
MD : Hit a 30+ on the mcat. Do a SMP and apply to MD & DO afterward ( depending if you can get a 3.7+ through out the program).

Retakes = 1 year lost. SMP = 2 years lost + 40-50k.
You make your choice from there.

In terms of if you got a 3.0/35 It would probably get you into DO without much problem. But for MD I think you'd be boosting a very low 30% chance at acceptance.

ALSO, if I get at mid 30 on my MCAT, say around 34-35, with a GPA of 3.0 do I stand a chance of making it into a medical school in the states?
A high MCAT score will compensate for a low cGPA, but you would still need 1.5-2.0 years of excellent recent science grades which includes some upper-level Bio classes (I'm talking A to A- average) to reassure adcomms that you'd survive their science-intense curriculum. If you already have a steep upward grade trend in the last years of your undergrad work, then you're fine. Otherwise, some informal postbac courses are indicated. Doing this less expensively at your state school would be fine.

For DO schools, any class you retake (regardless of where you retake it) replaces the first poor grade, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. This allows for rapid GPA improvement. Unfortunately, MD schools don't have this policy and retakes are averaged in just like new coursework.

A traditional hard-science masters helps you at very few schools.

With a 30+ MCAT score you might get into a Special Masters Program, which, with a 3.5+ GPA would override the undergrad GPA completely. See the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum to read more about this.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO : Retake low grades till your gpa ( Sci + Cum) Are around a 3.3 or higher. Get an mcat of 28+.
MD : Hit a 30+ on the mcat. Do a SMP and apply to MD & DO afterward ( depending if you can get a 3.7+ through out the program).

Retakes = 1 year lost. SMP = 2 years lost + 40-50k.
You make your choice from there.

In terms of if you got a 3.0/35 It would probably get you into DO without much problem. But for MD I think you'd be boosting a very low 30% chance at acceptance.

Thanks for the info, now on the retake, can i retake those classes anywhere? I mean I graduated for a 4-year college, but if i were to take it at a local Community college would that still count?

A high MCAT score will compensate for a low cGPA, but you would still need 1.5-2.0 years of excellent recent science grades which includes some upper-level Bio classes (I'm talking A to A- average) to reassure adcomms that you'd survive their science-intense curriculum. If you already have a steep upward grade trend in the last years of your undergrad work, then you're fine. Otherwise, some informal postbac courses are indicated. Doing this less expensively at your state school would be fine.

For DO schools, any class you retake (regardless of where you retake it) replaces the first poor grade, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. This allows for rapid GPA improvement. Unfortunately, MD schools don't have this policy and retakes are averaged in just like new coursework.

A traditional hard-science masters helps you at very few schools.

With a 30+ MCAT score you might get into a Special Masters Program, which, with a 3.5+ GPA would override the undergrad GPA completely. See the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum to read more about this.

Thanks for your advice, I just have a couple questions,

I did okay on my upper level courses, I mean there were like 2-3 where I got below a B, but everything else was an A. So I did fairly well except those 2-3 were 4 credits so it hurt me a little, thus the 3.0 GPA, so my question was, what do mean by informal post-bacc? do you mean entering a Post-bacc program but not completing it?
For example, I go for a year to boost my GPA and then apply, and leave the program early?

And my second question was for the retakes, can I do that at any college? I graduate for a 4 year university, but I've moved away from there, and am near a community college, would that still count?

Thanks for your help, it's helping me narrow my search a little.

1) what do mean by informal post-bacc? do you mean entering a Post-bacc program but not completing it?
For example, I go for a year to boost my GPA and then apply, and leave the program early?

2) And my second question was for the retakes, can I do that at any college? I graduate for a 4 year university, but I've moved away from there, and am near a community college, would that still count?
1) A postbac is any course work done after you receive your bachelors degree. A formal Postbac Program is a set sequence of course provided by a known program with the purpose of getting you ready to take the MCAT because you haven't taken the prerequisites, or to boost a low GPA. They are expensive as they come with counseling, research opportunities, MCAT prep, valunteer and shadowing chances, and staff who are experts at writing LORs. An informal postbac is a di-it-yourself program that you design yourself, getting to choose the number of credit hours and what courses you take. You find your own opportunities to build your ECs.

2) As I said above, you can do retakes at any college, including a CC. Credit hours must be the same or better. The course description in the catalog needs to be very similar, but the course name can be different. You can claim they are the same and enter it as a retake, but be prepared to back it up with copies of both course descriptions, just in case.