Need advise for VERBAL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parastoosh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an english as a second language student. I am taking the Kaplan course which is really good. I have two questions:
1) Is verbal section of PCAT more like GRE or SAT(I have never taken SAT)
2)I feel like learning the vocabulary list in kaplan is pretty hard, so I rather improve my basic knowledge of words lets say by learning SAT words.
anybody has any comments, or is in the same spot as me. Please let me know what to do.
Thanks and good luck to all of you

Members don't see this ad.

Don't try to learn the words. Learn the word roots. The Kaplan GRE prep is great for this.

1) Neither? It's similar and different from both tests.
2) Read. Read. Read. Get a subscription to the Wall Street Journal. If there's a pharm school or a med school nearby, try to read some medical journals for kicks. Also do more practice questions to get your verbal average up. Practice makes perfect.

The PCAT verbal section is just like the old SAT format back when scores were only out of 1600. Back then, and I feel like a dinosaur for saying this:), the SAT verbal section consisted of the familiar sentence completions, analogies, and reading comprehension content that the PCAT has. Looking back at my old SAT prep stuff, the questions were easier than the PCAT's questions today but the gap isn't big.

My friend had a PCAT prep book, and I honestly couldn't make out many of the words in the practice verbal sections. Yet, I scored a 92 on the real PCAT So be aware that test-prep books tend to exaggerate the difficulty of the questions.

Memorizing random words will benefit you very little as the PCAT doesn't ask you to reproduce exact definitions of words. The key with analogies and sentence completions is finding a "fit" that makes sense. For analogies, you have to relate the two words together in a specific way and apply that same logic to the answer choices.

For sentence completions, treat each prompt like a story. If you pick the right answer, then the story will make sense. If you don't, then the story won't make sense or may even contradict itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
The PCAT verbal section is just like the old SAT format back when scores were only out of 1600. Back then, and I feel like a dinosaur for saying this:), the SAT verbal section consisted of the familiar sentence completions, analogies, and reading comprehension content that the PCAT has. Looking back at my old SAT prep stuff, the questions were easier than the PCAT's questions today but the gap isn't big.

My friend had a PCAT prep book, and I honestly couldn't make out many of the words in the practice verbal sections. Yet, I scored a 92 on the real PCAT So be aware that test-prep books tend to exaggerate the difficulty of the questions.

Memorizing random words will benefit you very little as the PCAT doesn't ask you to reproduce exact definitions of words. The key with analogies and sentence completions is finding a "fit" that makes sense. For analogies, you have to relate the two words together in a specific way and apply that same logic to the answer choices.

For sentence completions, treat each prompt like a story. If you pick the right answer, then the story will make sense. If you don't, then the story won't make sense or may even contradict itself.

Hi Omnion;
can you tell me some of the old SAT material that you were using to study. I am not familiar with any of these, since I have just moved to the U. S.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Hi Omnion;
can you tell me some of the old SAT material that you were using to study. I am not familiar with any of these, since I have just moved to the U. S.
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I used College Board's (the company that makes the SAT) official SAT prep book. That book was from 2001 so I don't know if you can find it anywhere, but eBay always have stuff that's difficult to find.:)