Need Advise/Help about low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful_213

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have no idea what to do next. I am about to graduate in december and have a rough 4 years of college. My GPA is nowhere near where it should or where I wanted it to be (2.2 sGPA). Due to many issues that arose through out my 4 years I struggled to make it through but just kept pushing. Now I am looking into the next step to fix and improve my lousy grades. WHAT DO I DO? Do I apply to master program's? I have seen some that have a high rate of students getting into medical school after. Or do I apply for post-bacc certificate programs and other forms of these programs? I just am so lost, which is really bothering me, and my advisor has been no help.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take any math or science classes in college? What professional schools do you hope to apply to (MD/DO, vet, dentistry, etc.) It is unlikely you will be accepted to a SMP. I would identify a post-bac program and at the same time, try and figure out why your grades are so poor. Are you the first in your family to graduate college? Are you a member of an underrepresented group? If you did take math and/or science classes in college, what did you take and what were your grades? What prevented you from doing better: drama at home? undiagnosed learning disability? Did you have to work (PT or FT) during college? Are you a parent? Laziness/lack of ambition?

Well I ideally want to go to MD/DO school one day. I know that it's going to be a long time from now but that doesn't bother me. Sometimes it just takes a bit longer. but to answer your questions:
1) not the first in my family, Mom has a MS in Comp Sci (took her a long time to get too)
2) I am an underrepresented group
3) did take math and science course... Bs in math and physics Cs in bio and I struggled with orgo which really screwed me up (but I didn't give up)
4) Poor grades due to fam and close friends' death (more than 1 friend passed with in a few months of each other)
5) don't have a disability but haven't actually been tested
6) worked 3 jobs PT soph junior senior year (financial issues hit hard)
7) Not a parent
8) Not lazy/don't lack ambition --> very motivated to get my life together, especially now but definitely need to improve my study habits (need some pointers)

I appreciate you responding!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am pretty much in the same boat as the OP. not to hijack your post, but I am looking for some insight on this as well. the only differences are that I AM a first gen, and my undergrad GPA according to most recent transcript is ~2.6...

Im rooting for you OP!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Update? I am currently essentially in the same boat as OP. I'm in my last year of UG.

You need to establish that you can handle/do well in high level science classes. First and foremost, identify the obstacles that kept you from doing good in the classes you did poorly in. Actually IDENTIFY these issues and make sure that they aren't a problem for you in the future. Next, look for ways to retake the classes you didn't do well in. You can either do this at a community college, masters, post-bac, or SMP. Your low GPA may hinder you from getting into some programs but I won't say that it is impossible. I've heard that DO schools have grade replacement systems that will do wonders to your GPA if you manage to make As in the classes you retake. After that, study incredibly hard for the MCAT and you may have a shot.

Nothing is impossible. Getting into medical school is hard,especially for those of us who come from disadvantaged backgrounds. It has been one of the hardest and most stressful processes of my life, and i'm not even finished. With that in mind, be prepared to work hard, struggle, and put A LOT of time into it. If this is truly what you want, it shall be worth it. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user