Need advise rising m4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mjsp678

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry I know this has been asked many times but I could use some advise on whether my numbers are good enough for ENT. Rising M4

Mid-tier school
First two years half honors/half pass (h/p scale)
Step 1: 229 which I know is below average for ENT planning to take step 2 soon before applying
Third year HP half including surgery/ IM honored others except passed 1 (probably top 1/3 of class)
Honored ENT rotation, 1 away rotation planned

Research 2 published, 3 submitted (all in different fields), 2 posters (1 in ENT).

Any advise would be much appreciated . I love the field of ENT but also want to be realistic about my chances.

Members don't see this ad.

Unlikely to match given below average step 1, no H in surgery, no substantial research experience

Members don't see this ad :)
It's ADVICE. Not advise. I just want you to know.

Last edited:
Good first post, Super66. Did you create an account just to reply?

Reactions: 3 users
Aren't you a preclinical med student?

Yeah lol but you dont need to be a genius or a resident to read about what it takes to match

Yeah lol but you dont need to be a genius or a resident to read about what it takes to match

But I'd wager a shiny new nickel that current otolaryngology residents and otolaryngology attendings would have a more accurate assessment and insight.

Reactions: 2 users
But I'd wager a shiny new nickel that current otolaryngology residents and otolaryngology attendings would have a more accurate assessment and insight.

Bite me

One day, years from now, the residents and attendings considering you for residency will go to great lengths to learn more about the applicants who may potentially be representing their institution. That may include piecing together bits of your application and backstory and checking to see if anyone on SDN matches up, because it is very likely that at some point you will slip up and post your hometown, your medical school, your USMLE score, your interview dates, etc etc. From that point it is very easy to identify you and do a cursory search of your post history.

Point being: telling attending physicians to "bite you" is not in vogue or advised.

Didnt you just start a thread about what is more competitive, psych or IM?

One day, years from now, the residents and attendings considering you for residency will go to great lengths to learn more about the applicants who may potentially be representing their institution. That may include piecing together bits of your application and backstory and checking to see if anyone on SDN matches up, because it is very likely that at some point you will slip up and post your hometown, your medical school, your USMLE score, your interview dates, etc etc. From that point it is very easy to identify you and do a cursory search of your post history.

Point being: telling attending physicians to "bite you" is not in vogue or advised.

I sincerely hope you're not that paranoid. If the people at my residency have the time or care to look up what I said in an anonymous online forum where anyone can say anything, they have FAR too much time on their hands and I certainly would not want to train under them.

P.s I appreciate that you took the time to advise me though that is nice of you regardless of whether or not what you're saying is true

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI, when there are a ton of super qualified applicants sometimes things you think are stupid and not important, turn out to separate candidates.

Example: As a chief resident of a small program I interviewed all the applicants to make sure I liked them and thought they would be a good fit. One of the applicants went to med school in a town where I had recently been for a concert and a nice steak dinner with my wife. I was just making small talk about the band. Anyway he badmouthed the band I went to hear in an over the top fashion. No big deal overall, but just not worth him getting all worked up and making a big deal about it to my face. I mentioned in the rank meeting that I thought the guy was abrasive and not really able to get along. Others had a similar impression. Down to the bottom of the list. It's competitive man, don't let something silly trip you up.

Reactions: 1 user
Just an FYI, when there are a ton of super qualified applicants sometimes things you think are stupid and not important, turn out to separate candidates.

Example: As a chief resident of a small program I interviewed all the applicants to make sure I liked them and thought they would be a good fit. One of the applicants went to med school in a town where I had recently been for a concert and a nice steak dinner with my wife. I was just making small talk about the band. Anyway he badmouthed the band I went to hear in an over the top fashion. No big deal overall, but just not worth him getting all worked up and making a big deal about it to my face. I mentioned in the rank meeting that I thought the guy was abrasive and not really able to get along. Others had a similar impression. Down to the bottom of the list. It's competitive man, don't let something silly trip you up.

But let's be real here: does Merley honestly sound like the type of person who will end up a "qualified candidate"?

Well, judging by his scores and numbers, he probably is a "qualified candidate" on paper.

I've come to realize a few things over my 30 years of participating in on-line bulletin boards, newsgroups and forums: the anonymous (such as myself) typically post as their true selves, and that probably makes Merely a highly intelligent young buck who simply needs to be corralled before he says something really stupid to someone. Unfortunately, the general characteristic of people his age is steeped in narcissism and an unhealthy disregard of people more experienced and knowledgeable. Still more unfortunate is that generally people like him have no self-awareness of their undeserved self-importance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Well, judging by his scores and numbers, he probably is a "qualified candidate" on paper.

I've come to realize a few things over my 30 years of participating in on-line bulletin boards, newsgroups and forums: the anonymous (such as myself) typically post as their true selves, and that probably makes Merely a highly intelligent young buck who simply needs to be corralled before he says something really stupid to someone. Unfortunately, the general characteristic of people his age is steeped in narcissism and an unhealthy disregard of people more experienced and knowledgeable. Still more unfortunate is that generally people like him have no self-awareness of their undeserved self-importance.

I completely respect you and my original comment was based on reading your stickied post 3+ times. I just didn't like that after I gave an informed opinion and actually helped the guy (no one else really did) that you told me I shouldn't have.

I completely respect you and my original comment was based on reading your stickied post 3+ times. I just didn't like that after I gave an informed opinion and actually helped the guy (no one else really did) that you told me I shouldn't have.

A+ trolling

I just didn't like that after I gave an informed opinion and actually helped the guy (no one else really did) that you told me I shouldn't have.

Read it again:

What does that even mean?

What was the point of that comment if it wasn't meant to imply that since I'm not a resident I shouldn't give an opinion?

Buddy boy, why are you so defensive? You're going to need a large dose of chill before third year or you're going to crash and burn.

Buddy boy, why are you so defensive? You're going to need a large dose of chill before third year or you're going to crash and burn.

No ones getting defensive as there is absolutely no need considering this is an online, anonymoys forum, we're all just chilling and having a conversation lol..I think the tone of text can be grossly misinterpreted

I sincerely hope you're not that paranoid. If the people at my residency have the time or care to look up what I said in an anonymous online forum where anyone can say anything, they have FAR too much time on their hands and I certainly would not want to train under them.

P.s I appreciate that you took the time to advise me though that is nice of you regardless of whether or not what you're saying is true

The good news is that you are providing an excellent real-life example of how some people can have great scores yet never match because they suck as humans. I assume you have great scores if you are this arrogant and unhelpful on a forum designed to help others. SMH...

The good news is that you are providing an excellent real-life example of how some people can have great scores yet never match because they suck as humans. I assume you have great scores if you are this arrogant and unhelpful on a forum designed to help others. SMH...

I thought people in ENT were supposed to be smart...you're right I'm the unhelpful one given that I'm one of the only people who actually responded to the OP to give him advice regarding his chances.

You gave him no advice. You gave him an opinion, perhaps based on what other experienced people have stated in the past.

You are neither an expert in the matter nor authoritative. You lack a fundamental knowledge of what goes on during the process, and you simply have no experience whatsoever of coming through that process favorably.

I suspect passing along the advice of others empowers you though...

I didn't realize one had to be an expert in a topic before giving someone advice. I thought it was fairly reasonable to read up on what other much more experienced people had written (you lol) then based on their ideas give someone advice. You know, you could have approached this in a much more thoughtful and beneficial way instead of being passive aggressive. I suspect you have a problem with relating to people younger than you and I think you should fix your attitude and try to help those who admittedly are probably naive and have much to learn but at least have a good attitude in the sense that they are trying to learn and help out others whenever they can....but hey what do I know lol

Thank you for your words of wisdom.