Need application chances and advice ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftfox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's really late int he cycle, so wait until next year, apply in June and aim high!

Hello guys,

So I'm currently a college junior and just got my MCAT scores today. I am planning on graduating this year but planning on applying next cycle to try and start med school fall of 2015, thus having a year off. I was wondering if it would be worth to still apply in the cycle that's going on now so that I can start next fall instead as I really don't know what to do in my year off. Or should I just wait and build my stats a bit more to have a chance of getting into better schools by applying next summer. Michigan resident btw!

cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.75
MCAT: 36 (14-10-12) (PS-VR-BS)
6 months research experience (No pubs) (About 200 hours)
100 hrs volunteer experience
Worked at a pediatric office for 4 months (Summer)
Chemistry tutor on/off for two years
Youth group mentor/leader for 3 years
1 year community service

Considering:
(In state)
Wayne State University
Michigan State University (MD)
University of Michigan

(Out of state): Really not sure how competitive I would be for top 20 schools. I think MCAT is decent but extra curriculars aren't as strong? Thoughts? What's the best I could do?

Also, if you think I should wait and apply next cycle, what things could I do to strengthen application til then?

Thanks so much!

If you have the money I would maybe apply to your state, but verification is taking 2 months right now and that gives you slim odds.