Need-based financial aid frustrations and listing parents information.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point I've attended about 7 interviews and every single school has universally said that in order to be eligible for need-based financial aid you have to list your parents assets and all their financial information. The issue is I've been supporting myself and have been completely on my own for years, but can't show that on need-based financial aid unless I'm 30 years old or older and I'm not. This whole medical school application process is pretty much draining all of the money I have too.

My parents not only won't support me but are in pretty dire straights financially. Though if you look at their assets the results are a bit skewed due to the fact that although they own a property (though if you look deeper you'd see they've defaulted on payments and only narrowly avoided having their car repossessed). I'm really worried that I won't be able to receive any need based financial aid due to my parents assets, which don't even show the full picture. How can this be remedied? Government loans really scary me and I really should qualify for need based financial aid if my full picture is examined. I'm not being entitled. I don't want to drop out of medical school because it's unaffordable or be in a lifetime of debt due to loans (several of the doctors I've volunteered with have been in that situation).

Members don't see this ad.

At this point I've attended about 7 interviews and every single school has universally said that in order to be eligible for need-based financial aid you have to list your parents assets and all their financial information. The issue is I've been supporting myself and have been completely on my own for years, but can't show that on need-based financial aid unless I'm 30 years old or older and I'm not. This whole medical school application process is pretty much draining all of the money I have too.

My parents not only won't support me but are in pretty dire straights financially. Though if you look at their assets the results are a bit skewed due to the fact that although they own a property (though if you look deeper you'd see they've defaulted on payments and only narrowly avoided having their car repossessed). I'm really worried that I won't be able to receive any need based financial aid due to my parents assets, which don't even show the full picture. How can this be remedied? Government loans really scary me and I really should qualify for need based financial aid if my full picture is examined. I'm not being entitled. I don't want to drop out of medical school because it's unaffordable or be in a lifetime of debt due to loans (several of the doctors I've volunteered with have been in that situation).

I'm afraid I can't help much but I feel the same way. My parents have a decent combined income but they are in a huge amount of debt and can't help me. It annoys me that I won't qualify for need-based financial aid even though I've been working since 17 and my parents no longer claim me as a dependent. However, you do have a remind yourself that medical school will pay for itself in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user

Sorry, but get used to the idea of having a ton of loans. While need based grants and scholarships exist, there is no way you can expect to get your entire education paid for by others. Get used to the idea of loans, as they are most likely in your future if you are going to be a doctor.

I can say as long as you are eligible for federal loans, there should be no reason you would have to drop out of school because of the cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really don't want loans, then do HSPS. Not all med schools give large grants anyway. It isn't like undergrad where there is an amount for Pell, etc.

I was in the same situation as the OP. It is very frustrating, however, a medical degree is still a good investment, and doctors that can't pay their loans back in a reasonable amount of time are few and far in between, regardless of the few horrific anecdotes out there.

sorry buddy, but you aren't entitled to need based aid. if you get it good for you, but there are plenty of people in exactly your shoes who take on the full loan burden. scholarship would be lost on someone like you anyway, you should probably drop out now anyway.

sorry buddy, but you aren't entitled to need based aid. if you get it good for you, but there are plenty of people in exactly your shoes who take on the full loan burden. scholarship would be lost on someone like you anyway, you should probably drop out now anyway.

wtf @ the last part. you've got to be joking. You know nothing about me or my experiences, so get off your high horse. Who made you the authority of judging who is or isn't worthy of scholarships and should drop out?! If you're trying to make a point about me not taking out loans, there are far better ways to get your point across than comments like that.

Reactions: 1 users
wtf @ the last part. you've got to be joking. You know nothing about me or my experiences, so get off your high horse. Who made you the authority of judging who is or isn't worthy of scholarships and should drop out?! If you're trying to make a point about me not taking out loans, there are far better ways to get your point across than comments like that.
oop did i get the troll mad

OP's response was in classic mrh125 style. That along with some of his other posts is making me start to wonder...:thinking:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

if you think there's any trolling in a need-based financial question, you need a rapid taper off of whatever the hell drugs you're on. I hope the rest of your 2,563 posts aren't as juvenile as the ones you posted in this thread. Please keep the discussion civil and constructive thanks.

Last edited:
if you think there's any trolling in a need-based financial question, you need a rapid taper off of whatever the hell drugs you're on. I hope the rest of your 2,563 posts aren't as pathetically juvenile as the ones you posted in this thread.
...and confirmed. Hi, mrh125!:hello:

Reactions: 2 users
if you think there's any trolling in a need-based financial question, you need a rapid taper off of whatever the hell drugs you're on. I hope the rest of your 2,563 posts aren't as juvenile as the ones you posted in this thread. Please keep the discussion civil and constructive thanks.
okelie dokelie

It's him. I looked through the posting history and I'm certain.
Same here. Identical style, plus he made an allusion to his old handle in one of his posts.

Let's not be dramatic here. Scholarships/grants are a black hole and schools often take multiple factors into account when deciding who to give them to. There are people who grew up on welfare who receive less scholarship money than someone with a physician parent both attending the same school. Yes, most schools take into account need, but from what I've seen, it is far from the only factor.

Chill, you'll pay off your loans. If making six figures after loan payments is too rough of a life for you, you may reconsider your choice in careers.