MD & DO Need comments on my school list! Thanks :) 32 MCAT, 3.8 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felixbyu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm organizing my school list, and I hope someone can give me some advices on my school list.

Background:
I grew up in Hong Kong, and then I immigrated to US (Utah) in 2006 after high school. English is my second language. I took 2 years off (2008-2010) during college for a full-time church volunteer service in New York. In April 2013, I graduated in Chemistry.

Stats:
UT resident, Asian.
MCAT: PS13/VR8/BS11 (32)
GPA: 3.78 (sGPA)/3.87 (GPA) at BYU
Major: Chemistry/Minor: Music
Research: 2 semesters in organic chemistry
Shadowing: 40-50 hours with 3 M.D.
Service: 80 hours in a Rehab Center with patient exposure
Career: 3 years of Chinese tutor during college. 1 year of quality control (non-medical) since college.

After looking at MSAR for a while, I have the following (25) schools in my list so far. It would be great to know whether I should keep or change some of them. I also consider DO schools, but I just haven't had time to figure out a DO school list yet. Comments on that would be great too! Thanks so much! :)

-Albany Med College
-Chicago Med Sch at Rosalind Franklin U
-Cooper Med Sch of Rowan U
-Eastern Virginia Med Sch
-Frank H Netter MD Sch at Quinnipiac U
-Loma Linda U
-Med College of Wisconsin
-Oakland U William Beaumont
-Penn State U
-Rush Med Sch of Rush U
-Stony Brook U
-The University of Toledo
-USF Health Mosani
-U of Arizona Phoenix
-U of Central Florida
-U of Illinois
-U of Louisville
-U of Missouri Kansas City
-U of Nevada
-U of Utah
-U of Vermont College
-U of Washington
-Virginia Commonwealth U
-Wake Forest Sch of Med
-Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Before you apply to Loma Linda, make sure you read up on their lifestyle agreement.

Thanks for notice :) I knew about their lifestyle, and it shouldn't be a problem since my faith requires the same standard.. Haha..

Members don't see this ad :)
You should get interviews.
Thanks! I hope so too, but should I cut my list down a little bit..? It would be very expensive to apply to this many schools..

I would take UWash out due to their insane in-state (WWAMI) preference. Also, Stony Brook has in-state preference. It's not quite as stringent as several other state schools, but if you're looking to remove schools you may want to consider that.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I'll take your advice. I listed them partly because I wanted to live in those cities.. but I guess I need to be more realistic.