DO Need guidance for this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake?

• Yes

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Vinsabi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm in a bit of a predicament and need some help..
I'm applying this cycle, and my app was released (Sept 15) to 15 schools.
I wrote the MCAT August 7, got my scores Sept 9, not quite at all what I was expecting.
My app is as follows:
cGPA : 3.54
sGPA : 3.58
MCAT : 24 (9/7/8)
~100 Hours shadowing DO Emergency Medicine
~40 Hours shadowing DO Pediatrician
~40 Hours shadowing DO Orthopedic Surgeon
Research Assistant enrolling patients in Pediatrics at a Children's Hospital
EMT-B certified, not many hours but I ride when I can.
I've worked in water Operations with an Environmental Management Company for the past 4 years part time.
OMM experience with an osteopathic residency program for pre-med students.
Two of my LOR's in my Pre-Health committee app are from the EM, and Pediatrician DO's above.
Not URM, I speak Spanish though. NY Resident.

I averaged a 29 on AAMC 3-11, with a slight decline on 10 and 11 (27, 27). Not sure if I was burnt out due to taking four full lengths the week before the exam or just poor performance and lapse of knowledge. Once I received my scores I immediately scheduled a retake for Oct. 21. I think I could score better if given another chance, but I also thought I would score much better than that initially. Do I write the test again in 4 weeks, or wait it out and see where the 24 can take me. I applied very broadly, and am willing to go just about anywhere*.

My list:
CUSOM - (top choice)
VCOM - all 3
LECOM - both
WVSOM
RVUCOM
Marian
William Carey
PCOM - both
LMU
NYCOM
NSUCOM
(The last two were before I saw my score)

Should I do what I can to prepare for the Oct. 21 test, despite my 16 credits of upper level classes and hope I improve? Or roll the dice with the 24? What do you put my chances at for one acceptance?
Being on here enough I was hoping
@Goro and @user3 could give me some advice since you seem to be on top of the DO cycle.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT retake unless you are ready to. Magic thinking isn't a good test taking strategy.

A 24 will be doable for many of the schools on the list, but I would add more of the newer schools (except LUCOM).

I averaged a 29 on AAMC 3-11, with a slight decline on 10 and 11 (27, 27). Not sure if I was burnt out due to taking four full lengths the week before the exam or just poor performance and lapse of knowledge. Once I received my scores I immediately scheduled a retake for Oct. 21. I think I could score better if given another chance, but I also thought I would score much better than that initially. Do I write the test again in 4 weeks, or wait it out and see where the 24 can take me. I applied very broadly, and am willing to go just about anywhere*.

My list:
CUSOM - (top choice)
VCOM - all 3
LECOM - both
WVSOM
RVUCOM
Marian
William Carey
PCOM - both
LMU
NYCOM
NSUCOM

Should I do what I can to prepare for the Oct. 21 test, despite my 16 credits of upper level classes and hope I improve? Or roll the dice with the 24? What do you put my chances at for one acceptance?
@Goro and @user3 could give me some advice since you seem to be on top of the DO cycle.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I averaged a 29 on AAMC 3-11, with a slight decline on 10 and 11 (27, 27). Not sure if I was burnt out due to taking four full lengths the week before the exam or just poor performance and lapse of knowledge. Once I received my scores I immediately scheduled a retake for Oct. 21.

Were you timing yourself and not taking breaks? A drop of 5 points isn't "burn-out." Could be test anxiety, time issues, or studying inconsistency.

Unless you plan on hiring a tutor and spending all of your free time between now and, say, October 17th studying, I'd cancel the retake. A 24 isn't great, but it's way better than another bad score, letting schools know that you not only did poorly the first time but failed to properly address your weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm in a bit of a predicament and need some help..
I'm applying this cycle, and my app was released (Sept 15) to 15 schools.
I wrote the MCAT August 7, got my scores Sept 9, not quite at all what I was expecting.
My app is as follows:
cGPA : 3.54
sGPA : 3.58
MCAT : 24 (9/7/8)
~100 Hours shadowing DO Emergency Medicine
~40 Hours shadowing DO Pediatrician
~40 Hours shadowing DO Orthopedic Surgeon
Research Assistant enrolling patients in Pediatrics at a Children's Hospital
EMT-B certified, not many hours but I ride when I can.
I've worked in water Operations with an Environmental Management Company for the past 4 years part time.
OMM experience with an osteopathic residency program for pre-med students.
Two of my LOR's in my Pre-Health committee app are from the EM, and Pediatrician DO's above.
Not URM, I speak Spanish though. NY Resident.

My list:
CUSOM - (top choice)
VCOM - all 3
LECOM - both
WVSOM
RVUCOM
Marian
William Carey
PCOM - both
LMU
NYCOM
NSUCOM

Thanks.
You should get in somewhere as is. I would also apply to PNWU, ACOM, and SOMA.

Reactions: 1 user
Were you timing yourself and not taking breaks? A drop of 5 points isn't "burn-out." Could be test anxiety, time issues, or studying inconsistency.

Unless you plan on hiring a tutor and spending all of your free time between now and, say, October 17th studying, I'd cancel the retake. A 24 isn't great, but it's way better than another bad score, letting schools know that you not only did poorly the first time but failed to properly address your weaknesses.

I was under test like conditions for all of them, I would then spend the next day going over them, then taking the next one the following day.